Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
https://www.1911forum.com/threads/is-springfield-armory-reviving-the-hi-power.1036552/unread

As dreams go, this is a good one, is Springfield Armory gonna bring back the Hi Power? Lots of conjecture and maybe wishful thinking, but at least it's stirring up some interest. Dunno if it's true or not.

I was kinda unhappy that FN had discontinued the Hi Power, but I hadn't bought a new one in 30 odd years, so I wasn't helping them out any, and plastic seems to be all the rage these days. (I've had four over the years) I really like the BHPs, but I'm not in the market for one. I was kinda hoping to find one of the Tisas stainless clones, but have never seen one for sale, and now I'm deeply invested in my SA RO 9mm/.38 Super, so it would be a little redundant.

I "kinda" hope it's true, as I'd hate to see the Hi Powers go away forever, but I have doubts. We'll have to see.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Always liked the look and feel of the Hi Power, but honestly don’t know what they do that a CZ75 won’t. I’ve never really heard exceptional PRAISE for either the trigger pull or accuracy. Not saying either is HORRIBLE, but certainly not good enough that I’d be looking to shell out $1000 plus for something that is neither a highly useful carry piece, OR a really accurate range toy.

Might be cool if they have a “Capitan” model, just for the hell of it.....

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
One of mine was a MkII, It was, after removing the magazine safety, a great pistol, I could get repeatable 1.5" groups at 25 yards with one particular handload, but honestly, the others weren't as quite as good, although they were plenty good enough. I really wish I'd been nicer to that one, I actually shot it into a rattling wreck over several years time. I put some 1911 sights on it (they looked HUGE on the petite little slide), but I needed them to see them. It was great fun with the Spegel grips on it. The MkIIs had the phenolic stocks and a small rib on the slide, and the good ambidextrous safety prevalent on the later MKIIIs.
I'd really like another one, but Spegel has retired now, and without those wonderful grips, it just wouldn't be the same.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I just stick with the old T models. Like you said, removing the magazine safety makes for a fine shooter. Not 1911 good, but good enough. They are the only 9mm handguns I have.

John Browning sits next to St. Peter you know.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Rather than wait for a Springer Hi-Power, I'll continue to wait for a DWX.....

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If they do I hope theirs is as tough as the MKIII.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As everyone knows, I'm a Hi Power man... And I'm just not sure there's all that much market for them. The Tisa's aren't exactly flying off the shelves and they're cheap.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
As everyone knows, I'm a Hi Power man... And I'm just not sure there's all that much market for them. The Tisa's aren't exactly flying off the shelves and they're cheap.

Good point. People don't appreciate classics as much as they should. I bought mine a few years before Browning stopped offering them. I've had several over the decades (since the late 1980s), too, but now I'm down to that one that I bought last. I've got to get out and shoot it. It's been too long.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They will probably simply import parts for US assembly or entire guns from Turkey, Bulgaria or Argentina.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Good point. People don't appreciate classics as much as they should. I bought mine a few years before Browning stopped offering them. I've had several over the decades (since the late 1980s), too, but now I'm down to that one that I bought last. I've got to get out and shoot it. It's been too long.
I’ll admit to something shocking…
I don’t even own a Hi Power right now... What, say it isn’t so…

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Slavek
They will probably simply import parts for US assembly or entire guns from Turkey, Bulgaria or Argentina.
That makes the most sense.
There is one US company that is setup to make HP frames and slides in Lakeland, FL. But their HP's seemed to be aimed at the boutique market. I think they were hoping someone like Wilson or Nighthawk would buy them, but as best I can tell, no one has bought them in any numbers.

What I will say though. I saw their frames, and OMG were they nice!! Like...way nicer than I see Springfield buying.

What was so nice about them you ask?
First, they were magnificently machined. Next, they were available in carbon steel, stainless, aluminum, or titanium. Available with, or without an extended beavertail.
I wasn't overly crazy about the design of their beavertail, but that's just a personal taste thing; it was still very nice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That's a sin.

PS I just dug mine out of the safe, and found five spare mags for it (which makes six total, two of which appear to be 20 rounders), so it's going to the range soon.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

That's a sin.

PS I just dug mine out of the safe, and found five spare mags for it (which makes six total, two of which appear to be 20 rounders), so it's going to the range soon.

[Linked Image]

Your safe is playground. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a good looking pistol, Mk III???

I'll pick up another HP at some point. I just kept finding other things I wanted more than my Hi Powers. Now that I have them, I'm on the hunt for a classic with tangent sights and shoulder stock. A companion to my Artillery Luger

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GunGeek; 10/12/21.
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have an up to date improved Browning HP and it's called a CZ 75D Compact PCR.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VaHunter
The upper is certainly BHP, but the lower is nothin like the BHP.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by VaHunter
The upper is certainly BHP, but the lower is nothin like the BHP.

That's why I say improved smile

Last edited by VaHunter; 10/12/21.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's a good looking pistol, Mk III???

I'll pick up another HP at some point. I just kept finding other things I wanted more than my Hi Powers. Now that I have them, I'm on the hunt for a classic with tangent sights and shoulder stock. A companion to my Artillery Luger

[Linked Image]

Believe it or not, I had one factory set up for a shoulder stock. Had the tangent sights. Someone found a stockpile of brand new ones (never fired), made in Belgium, and brought them to the US. They were selling very reasonably, and I bought one. Wish I hadn't sold it. It was a beauty. I think this was in the 1990s.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Rather than wait for a Springer Hi-Power, I'll continue to wait for a DWX.....

I wholeheartedly agree.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Love my CZ 75 Omega. Love my Cajunized CZ 75 PCR. Love my Beretta M9. Enjoy shooting my Sig P320. My P226 is my workhorse self defense gun.

But nothing feels as good as my BHP’s. And it ain’t even close. And one of them, a surplus Israeli model that’s refinished w the Mag safety removed, has a trigger that’s better than my Cajunized PCR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (007FJ, 160user, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,482
Posts18,490,222
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.