Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
My son has a Ruger .270 with the tang safety that I purchased for him most likely around 1983 or so. I shot the rifle today for the first time in 30 years or more and I cannot believe how bad the trigger in that thing is. The funny thing is it shoots little small groups if you can concentrate while pulling that 10# plus trigger.

A quick search for triggers only brought up Timney as an aftermarket trigger for this model. I have installed many Timney triggers in Remington rifles and they are fine for hunting but I thought I would ask if anyone knows a different/better manufacturer I could use to replace the unit?

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have replaced the original trigger with models from Timney and found that the Timney is an okay replacement, but it has noticeable overtravel. The original trigger is easily adjusted and I prefer the adjusted Ruger trigger to the Timney replacement trigger.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
I have replaced the original trigger with models from Timney and found that the Timney is an okay replacement, but it has noticeable overtravel. The original trigger is easily adjusted and I prefer the adjusted Ruger trigger to the Timney replacement trigger.

Thanks, I will look into adjusting it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The trigger is easy to adjust on the tang safety Ruger 77.I was able to get mine down to 2.5lbs.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Does anyone know of an illustration or video that takes you through adjusting a Ruger tang safety trigger? I just got a 77RS in .358 and the trigger will need help.

IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Well I did some Google searches and what I came up with was that adjusting the trigger screw will do little to nothing to help the trigger, some recommend cutting or purchasing a new trigger spring, plus adjusting the trigger sear engagement screw, others say all you need to do is hone the sear a little of remove the rough spots, others say you must purchase a Rifle Basix sear. So there is a lot of confusing information out there and they is no consensus as to how to do this.

Last edited by VaHunter; 10/12/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Timney is the only option. If you can find a Canjar trigger somewhere it is sweet.

V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Timney is the only option. If you can find a Canjar trigger somewhere it is sweet.

I think you may be right.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just a heads up if you go with the Timney option. If you install a Timney in a tang safety Ruger 77 you have to enlarge the rectangular slot in the trigger guard quite a bit and in so doing you are susceptible to having the alloy trigger guard crack on the left or right because they seem to be brittle. It isn't a huge deal because the trigger guard isn't structural, but it is something to be aware of.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Ruger tang safety 77 and when I inherited it from my older brother, I had the trigger adjusted down to a 4 pound pull to match my other centerfire rifles. Very satisfactory now.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I adjusted the sear screw by turning it in until it fired.Then I backed the screw out until it would stay cocked and screwed it back in several times establishing the location of the screw slot where the rifle would fire.From that point I backed the screw out past the point the rifle would fire and adjusted my pull weight from there.Once I set my pull weight,with the rifle cocked and off safety,unloaded of course,I slammed the bolt shut really hard multiple times and bounced the rifle butt off the floor multiple times and the rifle never fired,so I feel comfortable it won't accidentally fire.I also put a drop of glue on the side of the screw so it doesn't move over time.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by crshelton
I have the Ruger tang safety 77 and when I inherited it from my older brother, I had the trigger adjusted down to a 4 pound pull to match my other centerfire rifles. Very satisfactory now.

Yep, 'Smith either put an Ernie the gunsmith spring or clipped the factory spring on the M-77 tanger in 7x57 i bought little Wife, it's perfect!

Trump Won!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
There are steel trigger guards available to replace the pot metal ones, if necessary. My two tangers have Ruger triggers in them, adjusted down to, IIRC, 3 and 3 1/2 # respectively - as low as I could get them and still be safe as per the post by baldhunter for safety check.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The tang safety M77 I had could only be gotten to about 4 lbs with considerable creep by adjusting the screws. When it comes to stoning sears and clipping springs I let a gunsmith handle it. That rifle was stolen in a break in at my Dad's place so I never got the trigger like I wanted it.

I'm sure a good gunsmith (key phrase being "good") could work the stock trigger to a nice crisp 2.5 lbs which is about as heavy a pull as I'm willing to accept on a hunting rifle nowadays. 4 lbs isn't acceptable to me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a 22-250 AI M77 that I bought used. Has a sweet custom trigger. I will see if I can see the brand……as soon as I get into my gun safe with the skitzo push button lock.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (1100mag, Anaconda, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, 9 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.