-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a JM stamped Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt and it has the octagon barrel. Bought it from an old timer I used to shoot with. I've fire about 10 rounds through it and my friend didn't use it. Wow, you're telling me it's worth $1300? I was thinking about saving it for a grandson but maybe I should sell it. It looks like it's brand new.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In my opinion, no, it's not worth $1,300.00 - that's just what they seem to be selling for lately. I've seen 'em for as high as $1,900.00, though I don't know if any have sold for that kind of money.

I'd not sell it. They're not making any more JMs and I'm sure your grandson would appreciate it one day.

It's a heck of a lot of fun to shoot as well.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
As a long time collector of Marlins ill share this advice. Very few circumstances in the US will drop the prices to where they "use to be". Its not like gas or food where supply and demand dictate or that coqksucker in chief determines where the market is by who hes handjobbing that week. Marlin has been gone over a decade and has steadily rose in value since then. Combine that with overall inflation of ANY lever and its not really that much off what they are worth in quality versus what's on today's market. Im a huge fan of levers and I can't think of any big caliber lever you can buy new for less than $500 these days.

There are some guns ill never own because the value has simply out ran what I anticipated they would climb to or I discovered their rarity too late in life. But if you want that 44, today is as cheap as it will be unless you hold out for that 1 guy that prices it stupid cheap somewhere. Ive been fortunate enough to be in that position before.

Good luck and happy hunting !

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Madness.
There are no more JM stamped Marlins being built and haven't been in a long time.
Marlins owned by Ruger who haven't made any comments that they're going to make anything other than a 336.
Madness is thinking you can buy a rifle that's out of production, rare when it was in production, and highly sought after for less than a k.
But, good luck...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I saw an SKS listed locally for $1k recently...

"A fool and his money are soon parted"

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
👆🏻 this👆🏻

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you just want a good shooter, find you a Rossi. I have a stainless one in .45, very tough, dependable, good shooting rifle.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The part I always get a chuckle out of is the reverence given to the vaunted “JM”. We’re they better than the first go round of Rem stamped guns? Mostly, except for the last couple months of production before the move. Marlins were never “High end” firearms, at least in anyone here’s lifetime. They were made to a price and to be used as tools.

I’m here to tell after many years experience that even in the days of the JM stamp they rolled out their share of turds. Don’t let the proof mark be a make or break deal on buying one, as either is likely to need a little tweaking and massaging to get it just right.

Better yet locate a Jap made Win92, they might still be making them. Last time I looked they were about the same money as the Marlins are bringing now and they’re way more gun.

Better or at least tied to that option is to find a beat on 1894 in 44 Mag and toss the old Microgroove barrel and fit a new blank with proper dimensions chambered for 45Colt. I’ve done this for some guys and using a faster twist to allow heavy cast bullets makes it a formidable little carbine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of the 1894 Classics in .25-20. I bought it with the idea that I could handload it to replace .22 LR, which was unobtanium at the time. I didn't find any off-the-shelf lead bullets that shot well, but I did find the jacketed bullet factory loads shot extremely well. Of course, the factory loads are super-expensive, and the jacketed .25 bullets, that are suitable for the Marlin, are now what's unobtanium. frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by TheKid
The part I always get a chuckle out of is the reverence given to the vaunted “JM”. We’re they better than the first go round of Rem stamped guns? Mostly, except for the last couple months of production before the move. Marlins were never “High end” firearms, at least in anyone here’s lifetime. They were made to a price and to be used as tools.

I’m here to tell after many years experience that even in the days of the JM stamp they rolled out their share of turds. Don’t let the proof mark be a make or break deal on buying one, as either is likely to need a little tweaking and massaging to get it just right.

Better yet locate a Jap made Win92, they might still be making them. Last time I looked they were about the same money as the Marlins are bringing now and they’re way more gun.

Better or at least tied to that option is to find a beat on 1894 in 44 Mag and toss the old Microgroove barrel and fit a new blank with proper dimensions chambered for 45Colt. I’ve done this for some guys and using a faster twist to allow heavy cast bullets makes it a formidable little carbine.

Put's me in mind of when the first "64" Winchesters were hitting the market. Owner of the LGS where I hung out and a couple of the local experts were examining one of the "new" 94's. The gunshop owner was pointing down into the open top of the receiver and said, "Look at how rough it is in there. The goddam thing looks like it was made by Marlin, not Winchester."

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by High_Noon

I'd not sell it. They're not making any more JMs and I'm sure your grandson would appreciate it one day.

It's a heck of a lot of fun to shoot as well.

Good idea, that's more than likely what I'll do and you're correct, they are a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only own one 1894. Let a couple others slip through my hands. One, a 20" .44 Magnum, had a squared comb and was a cheek smacking SOB. Bought it cheap and sold it shortly afterward. The other was a 1894 Cowboy, also in .44 Magnum. It sat on the new rack at an area LGS for quote a while before I finally decided to buy it, but when I went, money in hand, it was gone.

The only one I own is an 1894P, .44 Magnum. For those not familiar with the designation, it's a 16ÂĽ" (I think that's right) barrel with porting. It's handy as heck, but I wish it was not ported. (I think they made the same gun without porting and called it the 1894S) I just don't see a need for porting on a .44, and I flat out do not enjoy the muzzle blast.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

this one....bought from the original owner....unfired

it was 24" original..he chopped it to 20"

I always wanted a 16" 45 Colt.......so......

Had it chopped to 16"........1999 DOM...

what a sweet shooter......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

not braggin Marlin 45's...

a rather unusual 45 Colt round barrel ....2007 DOM----20"

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an 1894s in .45 Colt with a 16” barrel. Pretty sure it’s from that short run they did in the late 90s. It’s been sitting in my safe for years and these crazy prices got me thinking about moving it on.

They are just so handy in this trapper config, I know I would regret it the second I ship it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by swag
I have an 1894s in .45 Colt with a 16” barrel. Pretty sure it’s from that short run they did in the late 90s. It’s been sitting in my safe for years and these crazy prices got me thinking about moving it on.

They are just so handy in this trapper config, I know I would regret it the second I ship it.

Davidson's run.........

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
I only own one 1894. Let a couple others slip through my hands. One, a 20" .44 Magnum, had a squared comb and was a cheek smacking SOB. Bought it cheap and sold it shortly afterward. The other was a 1894 Cowboy, also in .44 Magnum. It sat on the new rack at an area LGS for quote a while before I finally decided to buy it, but when I went, money in hand, it was gone.

The only one I own is an 1894P, .44 Magnum. For those not familiar with the designation, it's a 16ÂĽ" (I think that's right) barrel with porting. It's handy as heck, but I wish it was not ported. (I think they made the same gun without porting and called it the 1894S) I just don't see a need for porting on a .44, and I flat out do not enjoy the muzzle blast.

I own the P, CP, and PPP from that production run. Love the length but damn the porting. I also have a 44 and 450 in that length non ported but can't recall their letter right now. Great carbines

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut

this one....bought from the original owner....unfired

it was 24" original..he chopped it to 20"

I always wanted a 16" 45 Colt.......so......

Had it chopped to 16"........1999 DOM...

what a sweet shooter......

Yeah Yeah... Rub it in why don't ya? You're just posting that 'cause you know I've admired it whenever you post it, ya' bastid.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Unless you already have a good supply of .45 LC bullets and brass, along with powder and primers, rifle availability and price aren't going to make a whole lot of difference.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
$1200-$1300 seems to be the going rate for JM stamped 1894’s. I don’t see prices coming down for the same reasons mentioned. Somebody looking for a rifle like that is probably more into guns than an average bubba and it isn’t a need gun. Current buyer aren’t going buy them and then sell it at a loss a couple of years down the road. That and inflation are going to keep the prices up unless Ruger can make an as good better Marlin than Marlin did and sells it for several hundred under today’s going rates for JM stamped models.

I watched a stainless laminate 1894 44mag go for almost 3k on gunbroker, about a year ago I think. I have an 1894P 44mag and I wouldn't let it go for anything less than 1k. We had one in our local classified recently and it sold within a day at 1300ish.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

484 members (17CalFan, 1234, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 163bc, 43 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,069
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.