Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
So I have a firearm listed in my local area classifieds and I got a blatantly obvious scammer texting me about buying it. He's doing the old offer to pay with a mailed (FAKE) cashiers check, but then a twist is that he wants to have a friend pick it up after it supposedly clears. I hadn't heard of people actually swinging by to pick up items like this, had only heard of people getting duped and mailing items themselves. My question is who would show up at the house to take the firearm? Would assume the scammer texting me is overseas, so do they have a network of local guys that pick things up? And then what? Mail a pistol out of the country via USPS?

Anyway, just curious. I played along and gave him a fake name and bad address on the other side of the state from me. At least I'll waste a few minutes of his time if not more.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Tell him you prefer a FFL to handle the transfer. Bet he goes away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Warning bells everywhere in that, as you said. Fake payment, "straw" purchase, and possible armed robbery or worse at the pickup.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Warning bells everywhere in that, as you said. Fake payment, "straw" purchase, and possible armed robbery or worse at the pickup.

Yeah, it is such an old scam that I'm amazed people still fall for it. I'm just really curious who in the world would be showing up if I provided a real address.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
One you could see at the door - and three more who'd rush in the moment you opened up. They know you're a gun owner, and wouldn't pass up such a golden opportunity.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got an email 20 years ago from a guy in AU wanting Glock with a laser. He wanted me to package it with car parts.

I was sure it was a gov sting aimed at the guy with the most gun posts on usenet.
I responded by quoting the gun laws.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Aspencreek
So I have a firearm listed in my local area classifieds and I got a blatantly obvious scammer texting me about buying it. He's doing the old offer to pay with a mailed (FAKE) cashiers check, but then a twist is that he wants to have a friend pick it up after it supposedly clears. I hadn't heard of people actually swinging by to pick up items like this, had only heard of people getting duped and mailing items themselves. My question is who would show up at the house to take the firearm? Would assume the scammer texting me is overseas, so do they have a network of local guys that pick things up? And then what? Mail a pistol out of the country via USPS?

Anyway, just curious. I played along and gave him a fake name and bad address on the other side of the state from me. At least I'll waste a few minutes of his time if not more.
Your twist isn't a twist. They all say that. Normally they offer to add 10 or 20% to the price to sweeten the deal. A while back I had an item on CL priced at $150. A scammer offered to add $100 to suck me in. But, if they can't get the item unless they do pick it up, I wonder who does show up. A cashiers check might clear the bank now but once they discover it's fake, maybe several weeks down the road, they'll pull the money back out of your account. I always say cash only.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yall must have a lot of experience gettin ripped off

LOL

Intuition and hunch, shall be your guide

Face to Face and bring a hit man like Renegade50 to hang back.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1234, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,522
Posts18,491,050
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.