-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
The kids and grandkids want to know what I want for Christmas and I thought about filling in a few gaps in my Texas History books. I don't have Yoakum's history but have read excerpts from it in Wilbarger's book. Is it worth putting on my Christmas list? I do not have much on the pre 1820 period.

"All I want is to enter my house justified."

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
The info in his books are a bit dated. But still contain a lot of primary documentation. I have noticed some minor discrepancies in a lot of these guys (Yoakum, Wilbarger, DeShields) and their takes on some of the incidents allegedly from first hand accounts. It’s usually nothing major. Sometimes deals with the assorted participants, dates, locations, etc.

One thing to remember, their sources were either the actual participants dictating their stories in their dotage, or second hand documentation from official reports or family. Have you read Smithwick’s Evolution of a State? Or Jenkins Recollection of Early Texas Days? On another note there is suppose to be a new book coming out soon on the ill fated Gutierrez-Magee expedition. With alleged new info on Magee. But as best I know its not to print yet. Now that will get you some pre-1820 action.

For Spanish colonial era reading I suggest anything by the "Father of Texas History", Herbert Eugene Bolton. While it is dated material ( I believe his last publications were in like 1914-15) it is still the golden standard. He was the first to really start archival translating straight from the Spanish sources. For starters I suggest his epic Texas in the Middle Eighteenth Century. Still required reading in many Texas universities.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
Appreciate it. I have both Smithwick and Jenkins. i will check out Bolton and will be really interested in the book on Magee.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I need to check with my contact on that book too see what’s going on with it!

Have you read DeShields Border War in Texas? He is referring to the ever changing border of Comancheria. And not the Mex Border. Again dated but still a classic read. Well worth the time.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What Bob said 🙂

He is more informed than I.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
a lot of my ancestors from that area.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
I have DeShields or should say had. I have learned to quit loaning books.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1936M71, 160user, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,189
Posts18,503,386
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.