A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Bugger
Has anyone required lead free except the weirdos in California? I hope not. Besides we don't have any condors around here.

Yes. The Feds required lead free shot shells for Ducks & Goose hunting years ago.

I was referring to rifle/pistol ammo.

Just like lead shot, it is about lead toxicity in wildlife, especially in raptors, and raptors are federally protected. All of the caterwauling over lead shot beginning 35+ years ago, will again be heard if or when lead core bullets are prohibited. The USF&W service proposed in 2017 to prohibit lead core bullets on federal Wildlife Refuges, but nothing came of that this time around. One of the upper midwest states proposed a prohibition, I don't know what has come of it.

I don't like it, but there are legit reasons behind it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’d like to see what other guys using their flintlock muzzle loaders will do. I have a couple muzzle loaders a 54 and a 50. The 54 has only been shooting mono bullets (lead that is). The 50 is a newest model 700 which I bought to hunt elk in New Mexico - in that I’ve shot a few different types of bullets. sick
I doubt my 54 will ever see copper bullets though, at least in my hands.
If the federallies say I have to shoot something other than lead in the 54 they won’t have permission to step foot on my land in muzzle loader season.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They don't need your permission is the schitty part.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's right.

Open fields.

Look it up if you don't know.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
So I can use lead weights for fishing that will fall into ponds but not shoot BBs that weight 1/100th as much. Typical retard government

Can you still buy lead fishing weights ???

Haven’t bought in in years. I’ve got a life times supply.

NYS banned lead sinkers some years ago.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Also, New York State just had a vote to ban lead ammo for hunting. The vote to ban lead didn't succeed, but the libs will keep trying and it'll eventually pass. It's just a matter of time.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So I can use lead weights for fishing that will fall into ponds but not shoot BBs that weight 1/100th as much. Typical retard government

Has more to do w raptors eating shot from carcasses.

Just let us shoot the raptors and make life easier on them so they don't ingest lead shot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
That's right.

Open fields.

Look it up if you don't know.

That is in the courts in South Dakota.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Has more to do w raptors eating shot from carcasses.

Just let us shoot the raptors and make life easier on them so they don't ingest lead shot.
I'd be fine with shooting raptors. There are way too many around anyway and they're tough on small game/bird populations. I have a copy of the 1947 NYS hunting syllabus. In it the shooting of raptors is encouraged to help protect game populations. My grandfather said everybody shot raptors on sight when he was young. There were no eagles around here when I was young. Now they are all over and you see them all the time. Seen one, seen 'em all. I was fine without them when I was a kid and wouldn't miss them if they were gone again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. In the county I live in we started getting turkeys in the early to mid '80s.

We were at our max in the late '90s. Now it seems that we are back where we started.

Guess when the eagles started showing up? Not saying they are the whole reason but they aren't helping.

There is a nesting pair of eagles on my cousins place that I turkey hunt. I kill a tom about every other year and see very few turkeys but see the nesting pair and their offspring any time I am out there.

They get em a snack from the neighbors pond every day.

Never could understand why we have a scavenger as our national bird but it's fitting with what our nation is becoming.

Same with hawks and owls. There is a reason they used to keep them killed down.

Nobody kills the egg suckers anymore either. My dad has to bring the bird feeders in at night because of the coons. I say kill the bastards but he would rather bitch about them and have to put feeders out every morning and bring them in at night. Also wonders why he sees very few turkeys in the yard compared to 20 years ago.

Control 4 legged predators but not the 2 legged flying kind. Fuggin dumb.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/17/21.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Just like lead shot, it is about lead toxicity in wildlife, especially in raptors, and raptors are federally protected. All of the caterwauling over lead shot beginning 35+ years ago, will again be heard if or when lead core bullets are prohibited. The USF&W service proposed in 2017 to prohibit lead core bullets on federal Wildlife Refuges, but nothing came of that this time around. One of the upper midwest states proposed a prohibition, I don't know what has come of it.

I don't like it, but there are legit reasons behind it.

Raptors won't be affected by .22s because .22s don't do this.

[Linked Image from fws.gov]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yaddio

NYS banned lead sinkers some years ago

So has Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Ed
B
Bry Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Yaddio

NYS banned lead sinkers some years ago.

NY banned the sale of lead sinkers under 1/2 oz. but you can use them if you have them.

Garage sale tackle boxes are a good source.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,558
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.