[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Remsen
It's been said that religion was invented by ancient humans as a way to explain that which couldn't be explained and/or to control people who otherwise would have been raping, killing, pillaging, etc. without the prospect of a higher power punishing them.

I get just a little stuck right there.

So if someone claims that religion is just an artificial constraint against rape, murder, and mayhem, then why aren't they out there committing these acts and living it up? If there is no God, no Creator, then existence is totally meaningless in the first place and nothing matters. I am left to believe that those that make that claim must believe they are somehow more "moral" than the rabble, and that's why they don't live a totally nihilistic lifestyle. I'd say we have a problem right here with consistency and coherence in a belief system.

Dont start off with "So", it pisses Paul Barnyard off.

So, on second thought, start every post with it.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are both designed to exract money from people... at least religion has many redeeming qualities

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I'm still freezing to death from the '70s ice age prediction....by scientists.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

i guess we overcomped..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
The earth is still trying to warm up after the last ice age, like the artifacts that are being found under the ice as it melts means they were there before the ice. And permafrost? It wasn’t always permanent.

Yep.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by irfubar
They are both designed to exract money from people... at least religion has many redeeming qualities

Is money your god?

I used to think idols were only something like Barbie dolls about which extreme superstitions were held. Of course, I'd also encountered super religious people for whom everything is an idol or a spirit. He's got a 'spirit of laziness.' She's got a 'spirit of poverty' or anger or lust. His 'pride' is his idol. Such metaphor renders the concept of idolatry too meaningless. But it isn't just for gilt Barbie dolls. "You cannot serve God and mammon." Mammon is obviously something that a person can serve, and it's clearly not just a figurine.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any ideology that has apostasy, sin, blasphemy, orthodoxy, etc is a religion. Climate alarmism, wokeism, Communism are all religions.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Originally Posted by irfubar

Is money your god?

I used to think idols were only something like Barbie dolls about which extreme superstitions were held. Of course, I'd also encountered super religious people for whom everything is an idol or a spirit. He's got a 'spirit of laziness.' She's got a 'spirit of poverty' or anger or lust. His 'pride' is his idol. Such metaphor renders the concept of idolatry too meaningless. But it isn't just for gilt Barbie dolls. "You cannot serve God and mammon." Mammon is obviously something that a person can serve, and it's clearly not just a figurine.

I have no idea what you said so I cannot respond.... sorry

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
One of the reasons the hyper religious are so afraid of f a g s is that they know they could probably be talked into sucking somebody’s dick.

LOL

COVTARDS and climetards are even worse.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A little too rational there Remsen, don't ya think? ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another good post Remsen. I appreciate the genuineness. I'm way short of a scholar on World religions. This is just the first link I found about foundation values of both Judaism and Christianity. Near as I can tell the Ten Commandments are common values. Thoughts?

https://www.the-ten-commandments.org/the-ten-commandments.html

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As for the spelling of G-d, it is just something religious Jews do out of respect. We don't say His name and even when referring to Him, it's with the dash. The full explanation is here: https://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/486809/jewish/Why-Write-Gd-Instead-of-G-o-d.htm.

Website "opinion" nonsense.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Another good post Remsen. I appreciate the genuineness. I'm way short of a scholar on World religions. This is just the first link I found about foundation values of both Judaism and Christianity. Near as I can tell the Ten Commandments are common values. Thoughts?

Common values, yes. However, the Gentiles aren't under the law. It was given to the Jews and Jesus fulfilled it. God's grace was then passed on to the Gentiles without the burden of the law.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!

Ga 2:21 I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Al Gore said the planet was over by 2005. Just saying.

Then he proceeded to make gobs of money off ownership in BS climate change companies that provided no impact other than enriching his portfolio.

99% is absolutely heretical BS.

🦫

PS

I like the idea of killing people who annoy me.

LOL

I'll be glad to sprinkle some Kryptonite dust on him for ya, Beave, next time I see the fugk. smile

He lives in your neck of the woods ?

Maybe, take a huge dump on his porch and leave note saying “Recycled That Planet Boy”

😬🦫

Hahahahaha. Will do.

He's an aszhole of the highest order. And people just stand and wait to hear the next crockaschit out of his face.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I didn’t even know the dumb prick was still alive. Oh well I didn’t miss anything. Edk

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Remsen
... but I have to say what's on my mind.

I am a religious person. I believe in G-d and I adhere to many religious rules, including dietary restrictions and a bunch of other things that are not always fun.

However, when I read about, or interact with, climate activists/activism, I sort of understand why those who reject religion are the way they are. It's been said that religion was invented by ancient humans as a way to explain that which couldn't be explained and/or to control people who otherwise would have been raping, killing, pillaging, etc. without the prospect of a higher power punishing them.

So I see people saying things like "we have to change everything or the planet will die in 10 years" while providing really no scientific evidence that this position is rooted in anything other than fear and a desire to seize power. Much like when the ancient people had to face the question "why shouldn't I kill this guy who is annoying me", people today want to stop others from doing things that they don't like simply by saying "it's to save the planet."

When you can't explain something, it used to be that you'd credit or blame G-d. Now, when you can't explain something, the post-modern progressives want to either blame/credit climate change or, more generally, science, even though science never is static and certainly never is absolute.

Pretty much every prediction about climate change has been wrong, yet it is replacing religion for many people on the left, the very same people who dismiss religion as a fraud.

This isn't to say that I have no use for science, or I want to see the planet polluted, but if you're going to say that religion is a fraud because you can't prove that G-d exists, you have to also question science as a religion since science is almost always unable to explain things beyond a superficial slogan.*

* not all science, of course. Things like chemistry or engineering are pretty well established in fact and practice.

Excellent post....

I was in a community in SE Oregon, French Lick.... they had the only fuel pumps in this small town, for a 100 mile radius... you have to go 50 miles one way for the next place to purchase fuel.... One day the DEQ ( Dept of Environmental Quality) in Oregon, shows up and tells the owner of the store with the pumps, that they are officially closed as of right now....They found small traces of some fuel in the local water table.. so they blamed the gas tanks from the store had a small leak.... to correct the 'problem' was about a $90,000 expenditure.. of course this small store didn't have that kind of money....

Went out there to the town meeting they had over this, just to observe DemocRat ran government in action.

DEQ sent this poor lower level staffer down there, to answer questions for the public. Poor guy got slaughtered by the angry farmers and ranchers. You need fuel, you burn up half a tank of gas, going to get it and then returning home...it got to the point, that the crowd actually started feeling sorry for the DEQ flunky, for the verbal abuse he took in the name of their opinion for the DEQ, and their shenanigans...

Finally one guy took the podium at the request of many folks there...His resume was that he was a local boy, who went to college and got a law degree. He had had a very successful practice for 25 years up in Portland. When his father took ill due to age, he retired and came back home to run the ranch that had been in the family 4 or 5 generations... a large spread to say the least.

His speech was short but to the point.....condensed but covering the general points:
" lets say that we people in this rural county are anti environmentalists, we go out of our way to pollute our county, in any way we can. We change the oil in our farm equipment and cars/trucks, and always dump it in a stream. We take animal manure and do the exact same thing. We openly burn all of our garbage, every day all day.
We pollute the environment as much as we can. If this were all true, we'd still could not pollute this county in 10, 20 or even 50 years, as much as Multnomah County ( Portland) pollutes the environment in a single day. Yet they send DEQ down here and tell us they are going to close down the only source of fuel to run our farms and ranches, within a 100 mile radius. How would all of these leftists in Portland, like if we had the ability to go up there, and close down all of their full stations, to where everyone in Portland had to drive 100 miles round trip just to put fuel in their source of transportation?" that drew a huge applaud from the crowd....

however in the end, this is how it worked out. This retired attorney knew Gordon Smith ( Oregon's Last Republican Senator). He contacted him about the problem.
So Senator Smith, got a 100K Federal Grant for the community, to put new underground fuel tanks, with all the environmental upgrades DEQ demanded. Typical case of where DemocRats create a problem that really doesn't exist in a conservative rural community. Then the community gets Federal funds to correct the problem, which all of we tax payers are paying for. Then DEQ just moves right along and does the exact same thing to another rural community elsewhere within the state.

Funny this stuff rarely happens it seems in metro Potland, it seems. If it does, it certainly doesn't cause a hard ship for the community up there...

this retired lawyer/rancher made one more point, that really stuck out to me.

The original 'environmentalists' are farmers and ranchers. If they pollute and don't take care of the environmental needs of their farm or ranch, they go out of business.

yet once again, the City of Portland and Multnomah County pollute their environment MORE in a DAY, than most rural counties in Oregon do in decades. yet it is those in metro Potland... ( DemocRats) that are dictating policy to the rest of the state, and yet it doesn't apply to them.

And typical example of DemocRats creating problems that don't exist, or where they don't exist, where they make themselves available to administer the so call solution to said problem, creating perpetual job security for themselves, and their party. As said before and will be said again, always.....DemocRats are real good at spending other people's money....or wasting other people's money.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Need a new set of camo hunting clothes.
Old ones are fading, kinda worn, and it's getting cold out.

Why did God ever allow Mossy Oak to discontinue their forrest floor camo pattern???
That pattern was kick azz in oaks and hardwoods blending in with all the leaves on the ground.

SMH......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Western_Juniper
Climate change, the planet, environment... they're just a few of the many sacraments of naturalism. It's not science, it's idolatry -- the worship of the creation rather than the creator. It's the most popular religion today and has been for some time. Remember Carl Sagan in the introduction to his TV show "The Cosmos" in the 70's?

“The Cosmos is all that is or was or ever will be. Our feeblest contemplations of the Cosmos stir us -- there is a tingling in the spine, a catch in the voice, a faint sensation, as if a distant memory, of falling from a height. We know we are approaching the greatest of mysteries.”

"The Cosmos," more traditionally "nature," is his god, and not his only, but most people in the US and Europe that think they're "secular" or non-religious, but are in fact full of the same kind of mysticism about their idol. It's not just religion, it's idolatry.

It's not just the climate-change alarmists, the overpopulation neo-Malthusians, and organic-eating, boiled-wool beanie-wearing environmentalists that are in this idolatry. Those sentiments are not even particularly fervent in the religion. They are mostly driven by a lust for control, re-distributive economics, and the envy and spite of resentiment politics. It's simple lust for power that drives those ideas, and the arrogance of the thinking that the empowered are the only ones able to lead mankind out of the crisis. Make no mistake though, some false religion such as naturalism or humanism is lying beneath the surface. Only such a false religion can justify the power grab. That lust isn't the only effect of the idolatry either. The most severe effect of this idolatry might be it's moral relativism. It forakes a transcendental creator God for immanance, a god within nature or humanity itself.

For the customs of the people are vain:
for one cutteth a tree out of the forest,
the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
They deck it with silver and with gold;
they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not:
they must needs be borne, because they cannot go.
Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil,
neither also is it in them to do good.

Forasmuch as there is none like unto thee, O Lord;
thou art great, and thy name is great in might.
Who would not fear thee, O King of nations?
for to thee doth it appertain:
forasmuch as among all the wise men of the nations,
and in all their kingdoms,
there is none like unto thee.
But they are altogether brutish and foolish:
the stock is a doctrine of vanities.
Silver spread into plates is brought from Tarshish,
and gold from Uphaz,
the work of the workman, and of the hands of the founder:
blue and purple is their clothing:
they are all the work of cunning men.
But the Lord is the true God,
he is the living God, and an everlasting king:
at his wrath the earth shall tremble,
and the nations shall not be able to abide his indignation.
Thus shall ye say unto them,
The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth,
even they shall perish from the earth,
and from under these heavens.
He hath made the earth by his power,
he hath established the world by his wisdom,
and hath stretched out the heavens by his discretion.

Good post. 👍

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The sky has been falling in the eyes of the global warming type for years. It just takes on new names to try to gain traction. Rush Limbaugh hit the nail on the head years ago when he stated that liberalism and global warming are the leftist religion.

Last edited by Jim1611; 10/16/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

Common values, yes. However, the Gentiles aren't under the law. It was given to the Jews and Jesus fulfilled it. God's grace was then passed on to the Gentiles without the burden of the law.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means!

Ga 2:21 “I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"
That’s a good post Rock Chuck. I agree with you. Wholeheartedly.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,400
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.