Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I have heard farmers- wife's tails that after very hard years pecans. for instance, produce like crazy. If acorns are an indication then my yard is telling me this is gospel. In your experiences does the stress of a winter like we had here in Texas produce a bumper crops of all nuts?

I'm sure weather patterns play a part. Also with the pistachios as the tree matures you get more production. When we moved here the trees were probably 5 years old and still very little production. Now the trees are about 20 years old and they really put out the nuts.
These also get to be very big trees if you don't prune them back, the male is about 1/3rd bigger than the female.
It has been interesting having something of a novelty tree for my area.

Rancher buddy farmed pecans for a few years. A serious crapshoot. If you could spray to keep the parasites off in time, and make sure everything around every trees was cleared of any debris (fallen limbs) you still had to pray you would have good nuts to fall. Shake the trees. Harvest pecans, run them through the cleaner which is very much like the I love Lucy episode with Lucy and Ethel on the chocolate candy assembly line. I was free labor. One year he did pretty good. At least we hauled and sold a good number of those 1500 pound bags - that you had to make sure didn't mold. Made more than enough to cover expense but not sure how much that equated to time and level of effort. The next year we could haul the entire load in the back of a pickup. Did give us a reason to shoot squirrels at his place.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

NVhntr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got squirrels here too that clean things up after the harvest. They're ground squirrels thank goodness so I haven't seen them in the trees.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Yeah, my daddy taught me that you can have too many nuts.

Very Cool...

I would love to get some seeds from you and try my hand at a few trees here... Happy to mail you Chestnut (American) seeds in exchange.

Been propagating stuff for a while...

Brown Turkey fig trees...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hardy Anna Kiwis.

Even Blueberry trees...

Ever oysters... not that oysters are a fruit or vegetable.

Apologies on the hijack, but pistachios could be a cool try... maybe.

Cash, I don't think the nut seeds would do much for you. With all of the nuts that fall to the ground under the tree I've never seen one start a new plant. Starting from seed would also not give you any indication of the tree's sex and you need to have both male and female to produce nuts. If you're serious about trying pistachios I would look into buying them from an orchard supply that can guarantee what you're getting.

Here is an informative link on Pistachio propagation.
Pistachio tree propagation.

Thanks for the opinion...

That makes a whole lot of sense (same here with pecans... almost never see a tree from a seed).

Thanks also for the Pistachio tree propagation.

Looks like I have a 0% chance of success.

Regardless, very cool.

Last edited by CashisKing; 10/20/21. Reason: Typos

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A favorite snack...Nice work !

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good. I enjoy shelling them and eating them.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (160user, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 71 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,234
Posts18,485,703
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.