Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Trade school come out making $100K year seen it uh hunnerd times

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

F
F

Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by hanco
I went to apprentice school two nights a week for 5 years, worked 10,000 hours of hands on to complete my apprenticeship.

Same here except the schooling was one day a week every other Thursday for 8 hrs. The IBEW paid for the schooling minus the books and I missed out on a days pay. Overall it was a good deal. My grandfather was a pipefitters for a major chemical manufacturer. I wound up working for the same company that my Grandpa worked for but in a non trades chemical processing role. My trades experience got me my foot in the door and credit for better starting pay and additional time off.

Went through the IBEW apprenticeship too. Pay is great, I've only had to work outside of the local twice. I usually had to work 6 months to make what my wife made in a year teaching with much better benefits overall.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought we hated unions here?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is a trade school any school that is not college?

One of the reason I went into the Air Force was because I did know what I wanted to do.
Wound up a computer programmer, 4month school and a year+ OJT..

There were quite a few schools and jobs that trained computer people. Chubb, Met Life, Grumman, etc...
You could also do the College route too. W/O a degree you can forget management.

Some places will just throw out a resume that doesn't show College.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Trade school come out making $100K year seen it uh hunnerd times

Yep, son did his 2 years at a CC[welding].
First year at Steel Dynamics he just topped $100K
Last year he made $130K

FJB & FJT
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Went to a 2 year Tech College and received an Assoc. Degree in Architectural Design and Drafting, graduated and right away had 4 offers for good jobs. Worked 3 years in the trades and decided to go back and get my Teaching Degree in Technical & Vocational Education. Graduated and again had three good job offers. Ended up teaching in a Vocational /Technical HS, where students spent 1/2 days learning Math, Science, and English and the other 3 hours a day doing hands on learning in 12 different fields. Very well equipped labs with current state of the art equipment and teachers with a degree and min. of 5 years experience in their field, or others that didn't have degree's but just vast amount of work experience.
They attended for their Junior and Senior Years. Most went right to work out of HS, others went on to College and studied in there chosen field, many of those colleges gave advanced credit for their work in HS, meaning they could graduate a full Semester early.
In the years I taught I had many of my students go on to become successful Architects, Draftsman, Salesman and Builders.
All during my 31 years of teaching I had a part-time job designing and drawing Custom Homes for builders in my area. Evenings, weekends and summer vacations, all out of the convenience of my house.
21 years ago I retired, and just kept my little sideline, working about 15 hours a week. Switched over to CAD and still do everything from home.
My part time work at age 77, pays anywhere from $70 to $125/hour and gives me fun money beyond my SS & Teacher Pension. My fellow teachers who taught English, Math, and Science work a Walmart for $19/hr for extra money or something to do with their spare time.
There is nothing wrong with an education in the Trades, through Apprenticeships, Tech Schools, or BS Degrees in specific occupations.

Last edited by jbmi; 01/20/22.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
A building trade gets tough about the time you hit 40. I got a government maintenance job at 36, have a good pension plus SS and a small union pension. A pension is important, needs to be a consideration for young people.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Preach it, Mike Rowe.

EVERY kid in high school needs to see this. Not all sucess stories are found in college.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven’t read all of this but my brother went to ITT in Portland and finished after two years with job offers working on cell phone towers and making twice what I was making as a state employee with a four year degree.

Where I live plumbers are booked way out and seem to make great money. Makes me think it would be a good way to go for my some of my kids.

My daughter is looking at a three year program for a certificate to do ultrasounds. seems to make decent money in has jobs available. She will be investing three years in her education as opposed to the six my wife and I each put in each of ours making about double coming out.

On the other hand, my college roommate went back to school and got his masters in outdoor recreation. I did not think He would find a real job at all and thought he would be in trouble. Instead, he spent the last two decades teaching kids how to fish, Climb, kayak, etc. for good money and benefits. I am happy for him but Makes me a little jealous...

Last edited by IDMilton; 01/20/22.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,791
Posts18,477,321
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.