Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No.....but 20 years ago I was a yes. I was wrong and bought into the wmd lie.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Read "Fiasco" by Thomas E. Ricks

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Should We Have Gone Into Iraq?

At the time I fully supported the war. I even voted twice for Alfred E. Neuman and his side kick sure shot Cheney.

I was grossly mistaken, and I think going into Iraq was absolutely wrong.

Last edited by OldHat; 10/18/21.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
All muslim factions and variations have the same end goal. Supporting one over the other is a fools errand.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's our success rate on nation building? My guess is <%25.

Wars are for kicking ass. Building back a nation is kind of like kicking a bullies ass, then taking him to the hospital and buying him a new house when he gets out.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Wars are for kicking ass. Building back a nation is kind of like kicking a bullies ass, then taking him to the hospital and buying him a new house when he gets out.

doing?

It's the Oprah Winfrey model of diplomacy.

You get a house and you get a house .....everyone gets a house!

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Hindsight is always 20-20. ..... Not meant to slam anyone.

At the time, I went along with it, admittedly. Now? It was the most asinine thing the U.S. could have done. Moreover, the corruption in all things related to the sandbox is mind boggling.

Plus the decades long refocus of the US military/Intelligence community into an anti terrorist role. What a Fiasco!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
GWB was an idiot of the first water for going in there. I can understand Afghanistan but not Iraq. There were lots of ways to contain Sadam. We had no plan for when we took the country. As for Powell, I'm happy to send a card stating my approval.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Rebuilding Japan went very well. They are a key component of the asian anti Chinese block. Whether that will matter is another question.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hatari

Saddam was the weight on the pressure cooker. Once removed, the kitchen got real messy.

Agreed. Taking him out left a power vacuum that we naively thought Democracy would fill. Not in the Middle East.

He neutralized Iran too, and kept order in Iraq. He was zero threat o the US.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by rainshot
GWB was an idiot of the first water for going in there. I can understand Afghanistan but not Iraq. There were lots of ways to contain Sadam. We had no plan for when we took the country. As for Powell, I'm happy to send a card stating my approval.

What did we understand about Afghanistan?

That they were from Saudi Arabia and backed by the same?

That we were about to unleash an Opiate epidemic on the US?

There was money to be made?

That the "Great Game" had been taking place in Afghanistan for over a hundred years?

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 10/18/21.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by hatari

Saddam was the weight on the pressure cooker. Once removed, the kitchen got real messy.

Agreed. Taking him out left a power vacuum that we naively thought Democracy would fill. Not in the Middle East.

He neutralized Iran too, and kept order in Iraq. He was zero threat o the US.

Iran wasn't a problem until Jimmy Carter did his best to remove the Shah. The Shah was the weight on the Iranian pressure cooker.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

doing?

It’s more like staying there for decades wasting trillions of dollars with the US as a hated occupying force while trying to set up a puppet regime to fore the locals to adopt our worldview. Japan was a great success but that’s been about it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

doing?

It’s more like staying there for decades wasting trillions of dollars with the US as a hated occupying force while trying to set up a puppet regime to fore the locals to adopt our worldview. Japan was a great success but that’s been about it.

Germany and Italy turned out ok too. It's amazing what you can accomplish with civilized people who can appreciate Western values. You don't find many of that ilk in the Middle East or Southeast Asia

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was he any worse than the ayatollahs who replaced him?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OldHat
All muslim factions and variations have the same end goal. Supporting one over the other is a fools errand.

Couldn't agree more. It's a war that cannot ever be won.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

As stated in multiple replies.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by OldHat

Couldn't agree more. It's a war that cannot ever be won.
Oh, it'll be won, but it won't be won by man. It'll be won at the battle of Armageddon.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have no idea if we "should" have tried to liberate Iraq or not, but my experience after 2 tours was that like everywhere else, 10% of the people are 90% of the problem. I can't count how many times I was tipped off to IEDs due to the Iraqi kids. The adults were generally scared shïtless of the extremists and that is why they often were reluctant to help us. It was out of fear of reprisal, not because they hated us. Their entire families would be killed by the Mujahideen/ISIS/Al-Qaeda in Iraq if they were seen cooperating with us. The general populace (at least in Al Anbar) wasn't overall against the MNF-W occupation, though they were (rightfully so) leery of it and its effects. They knew once we withdrew the extremists would take right back over.

The islamic society concerning women, religion and what they perceive as right and wrong is completely screwed up and they just simply don't know any other way. I won't disagree with that but they're not all bad people there. Far from it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have no idea if we "should" have tried to liberate Iraq or not, but my experience after 2 tours was that like everywhere else, 10% of the people are 90% of the problem. I can't count how many times I was tipped off to IEDs due to the Iraqi kids. The adults were generally scared shïtless of the extremists and that is why they often were reluctant to help us. It was out of fear of reprisal, not because they hated us. Their entire families would be killed by the Mujahideen/ISIS/Al-Qaeda in Iraq if they were seen cooperating with us. The general populace (at least in Al Anbar) wasn't overall against the MNF-W occupation, though they were (rightfully so) leery of it and it's effects. They knew once we withdrew the extremists would take right back over.

The islamic society concerning women, religion and what they perceive as right and wrong is completely screwed up and they just simply don't know any other way. I won't disagree with that but they're not all bad people there. Far from it.

Thumbs up.

This idea that we have to rid the world of Muslims is preposterous.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

255 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 33 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.