Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A new one on me.

A coworker has 150,000 miles on her Toyota Prius.

A light came on so she brung it into the dealer.

They want $1,800 parts and labor to replace the EGR cooler.

I googled it, turns out most vehicles have them and you can expect 80,000 miles out of them.

First I’ve heard of such a thing, never heard of anyone having to replace one either.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Google says it’s a $240 part.

Sounds like she gonna be hoodwinked.

Couple bolts. 2 hoses.

Unless it’s extremely difficult to access…

Prolly a 5 beer job.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Google says it’s a $240 part.

Sounds like she gonna be hoodwinked.

Couple bolts. 2 hoses.

Unless it’s extremely difficult to access…

Prolly a 5 beer job.

The last guy who said that about an alternator replacement on a VW Taureg V8 was kinda pissed that he had to remove the engine to get it out............. smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just ordered an EGR valve for my Acura. Like said before - two bolts, a gasket and a plug. It should be a 30 minute job based on the videos I've watched. I was able to pick one up for $60. I did see where I should probably clean up the carbon build up around the intake as well. I have not heard of a cooler for it although it does have an internal "pipe" that feeds to it

Just watched a video this morning about the water pump on the 3.5L twin turbo Ford motor. Good lord that's a nightmare

Last edited by KFWA; 10/19/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Do not buy foreign autos ,unless you like to pull the motor to replace simple things like a water pump.. I was a auto mechanic for 25 years , and would quit my job if I had to work on certain autos...there were plenty of auto repair shops willing to hire me....yes Fords were almost as bad..

Last edited by Hubert; 10/19/21.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hubert
Do not buy foreign autos ,unless you like to pull the motor to replace simple things like a water pump.

I replaced the water pump in my first generation Tacoma without pulling the engine, and helped a friend do his 2.4L 2nd gen.

I did have to pull the heads to put spark plugs in a Ford once, which was a nice gift from them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
I just ordered an EGR valve for my Acura. Like said before - two bolts, a gasket and a plug. It should be a 30 minute job based on the videos I've watched. I was able to pick one up for $60. I did see where I should probably clean up the carbon build up around the intake as well. I have not heard of a cooler for it although it does have an internal "pipe" that feeds to it

Just watched a video this morning about the water pump on the 3.5L twin turbo Ford motor. Good lord that's a nightmare

An EGR valve is not an EGR cooler.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hubert
Do not buy foreign autos ,unless you like to pull the motor to replace simple things like a water pump.. I was a auto mechanic for 25 years , and would quit my job if I had to work on certain autos...there were plenty of auto repair shops willing to hire me....yes Fords were almost as bad..

Wait...!!

You were an auto mechanic for 25 years, and you come on here and ask if $1000 for a simple car battery is okay?

LOL. laugh

You keep getting more and more entertaining! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

So she brung it to a dealer, huh? I thought you was some sort of teacher or something like that,

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by KFWA

An EGR valve is not an EGR cooler.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HitnRun

So she brung it to a dealer, huh? I thought you was some sort of teacher or something like that,

Birdy does sometimes use poetic license in his posts. I presume your use of "was" is intentional..or maybe not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Birdie's a smart guy, but he likes to type in Texican sometimes.

He has a penchant for the vernacular, as they used to say in the old country.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Chisos

Birdy does sometimes use poetic license in his posts. I presume your use of "was" is intentional..or maybe not.

Nothing gets past the discerning eye, butsept maybe the comma,,,

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Chisos

Nothing gets past the discerning eye, butsept maybe the comma,,,

y'all just don't be doin' no figgerin' with nummers and stuff. or ol' mathman be along presently t' kerreckt yo azz.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

He learnt that from dem cheerleaders that are always tryna get in his pants.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I type on here like I talk <“shrug”>

Hard to place, I first learned to speak in a North Lancashire UK dialect. Back then you could tell someone who lived 20 miles away by their accent. Been around since then. People usually guess Canadian.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I replaced my EGR valve last night, and cleaned the carbon build up in the pipe that feeds to it.

Its not a night and day difference but I can tell a difference in how the car runs. I also replaced an O2 sensor so that might have had something to do with it as well.

But it has a bit more pep and seems to idle more smoothly.

I have a 2007 Acura with 135K miles. Also replaced the brake calipers, rotor and pads because it was making a clunking noise when I'd stop (and the fact I had gone thru 2 sets of brake pads without turning the rotors)

Now it runs AND stops. Jackpot.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/21/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (219DW, 1234, 2500HD, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 53 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,796
Posts18,496,236
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.