Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
These salmon memes mean nothing to a Kentucky boy.....I do like the one with the catfish.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Big Sky
For the record this is a freshwater landlocked kokanee salmon. He is not spawned out yet and was caught at the inlet into the lake before he had a chance to move up the creek to spawn. Took the picture in a just couple second. Turned him upright and sent him on his way. As for eating or keeping, it's not a factor in Utah where I caught him. It's illegal to posses kokanee salmon from Sept. 10 to Nov. 30 in Utah. You can catch them, but all must be released. As kokanee go he is pretty good sized which run a lot smaller than their ocean going cousin the sockeye salmon.

Give me hell if I am incorrect..

Isn't the correct terminology, "... is a landlocked sockeye salmon, which are known as kokanee." There's not really non-landlocked kokanee. And saying "kokanee salmon" is redundant.

Some spawning of salmonids occurs outside of tributary streams, including in lakes and dare I say even the ocean. Don't know if that pertains to this population... Some die before spawning, some live longer afterwards than typical... Messy fish biology stuff. Smoked reds can be pretty darn good.

Queing Geno.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
358Norma_fan, I like the way you think. I've been to Alaska twice. The last time being last summer and both trip to Alaska were nothing short of epic. The first trip was to hunt bear with one of the regulars here at 24hour. The second trip was a halibut, rockfish, salmon trip. Alaska definitely gets deep into one's soul. Love your amazing state!!!

Is it Friday yet?
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
From the research I did kokanee are often what small sockeye are referred to as, or what the land locked version of the sockeye are referred to. You will almost never hear of a kokanee referred to as a sockeye in their land locked waters. In big game terms kinda like brown bear vs grizzly bear.

Is it Friday yet?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Big Sky
From the research I did kokanee are often what small sockeye are referred to as, or what the land locked version of the sockeye are referred to. You will almost never hear of a kokanee referred to as a sockeye in their land locked waters. In big game terms kinda like brown bear vs grizzly bear.

A small, medium or large non-landlocked sockeye is NOT a kokanee, ever. The phrase used, "a freshwater landlocked kokanee salmon" is like saying the fish is a salmon salmon. Redundant. That's all. No biggy. No further inference...

A kokanee, even from a naturally isolated population is still genetically a sockeye. The Grizzly is most typically considered as a genetic subspecies of the brown bear.

Surely some fisheads have intermixed the gametes of the two versions of the sockeye and achieved a sockeye. I can not imagine collecting sperm from a grizz or brown. I'll stay in the truck and watch.

Geno?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Why is that barracuda red?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Stream shark?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Steelhead same same rainbow trout

Kokanee same same sockeye

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,633
Posts18,474,369
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.