Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well well well. smile

Link to story

BY JACK PHILLIPS October 19, 2021

Southwest Airlines told its employees that it will delay a plan to place workers who are not vaccinated against COVID-19 on unpaid leave if they haven’t yet obtained a medical or religious exemption.

The Dallas-based carrier confirmed reports about the memo to news outlets on Tuesday, saying it will drop the plan.

“If an accommodation has not been reviewed or approved by December 8, the Employee will continue to work, while following all COVID mask and distancing guidelines applicable to their position, until the accommodation has been processed,” said Southwest in a statement.

The company stressed it will approve “all valid requests” for religious or medical accommodations. If it is not granted, Southwest said it will “provide adequate time for an employee to become fully vaccinated while continuing to work and adhering to safety protocols.”

Earlier this month, Southwest courted controversy when it announced all its employees have to be vaccinated by Dec. 8. On Monday, hundreds of demonstrators massed outside the carrier’s headquarters in Dallas, demanding the firm drop its vaccine requirement.

“Let your voice be heard,” a protest flyer says. “Please join your Southwest Cohearts, vaccinated or not, in exercising your first amendment right to a peaceful protest of the recent COVID-19 vaccination mandate.” COVID-19 is the illness caused by the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) virus.

Southwest also faces a lawsuit from its main pilots’ union, the Southwest Airlines Pilots Association, known as SWAPA, who asked a court to halt the company’s vaccine requirement. SWAPA argued that pilots face a unique risk from any potential vaccine side-effects because of the medical standards pilots need to clear before working.

Over the weekend, Southwest’s lawyers urged the court to reject SWAPA’s legal challenge, arguing that it would unduly harm its business and employees.

More than a week ago, thousands of Southwest flight cancellations and delays triggered speculation and rumors that pilots and other staff called in sick en masse to protest the vaccine mandate. SWAPA, Southwest, and the Federal Aviation Administration denied those claims, although it’s not exactly clear why Southwest was the only major U.S. airline to suffer so many cancelations.

CEO Greg Kelly told CNBC last week that while he doesn’t agree with vaccine mandates, his company has to require the shot because Southwest is considered a federal contractor. President Joe Biden on Sept. 9 announced that federal workers and contractors would have to receive the vaccine.

“I’ve never been in favor of corporations imposing that kind of a mandate. I’m not in favor of that. Never have been,” Kelly said in the interview. “But the executive order from President Biden mandates that all federal employees and then all federal contractors, which covers all the major airlines, have to have a [vaccine] mandate … in place by Dec. 8, so we’re working through that.”

United Airlines, American Airlines, JetBlue, Alaska Airlines, and Hawaiian Airlines are other major airlines that have announced similar vaccine mandates. Delta Air Lines appears to be the only carrier that has not but instead charges unvaccinated employees $200 per month for healthcare.

The Epoch Times has contacted Southwest for comment.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
money talks. Eventually

Sam......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That's a union being a union in its truest form.

Let's see if it catches on.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We dont need unions for this.
If people will just stand up, together, and for each other.

Whoops, that's exactly what unions are (supposed to be/do).

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought I read Delta said no to mandates as well.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I thought I read Delta said no to mandates as well.

Haven't seen that. If so, that's new. Last I saw, they were supporting the mandates.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also read delta changed it's tune. Deltas CEO said they were at 90% vaccinated and that's good enough. No need for a mandate

Last edited by Joel/AK; 10/19/21.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
The push back is working.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 1100mag, 22 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,266
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.