Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I wasn't sure which forum to post this question so I figured I would try here first. Last year I decided to chop of my three middle fingers in a freak firewood accident leaving me my thumb and pinky. Seeing I decided to chop off my trigger finger I have been practicing using my pinky to pull the trigger. While it's certainly doable I can't get the grip I would like and picture getting a case of scope eye. I'm thinking maybe a rifle with a thumb hole stock might be the solution to my problem. And am looking for recommendations, I am leaning towards staying around the 308 caliber that should handle anything I plan on killing. Thanks in advance

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
What about shooting lefty or making some kind of extension from the trigger that could be pulled or activated by your thumb?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It may be easier to switch shoulders and shoot from your other side. Is that not an option?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My sincere sympathy to you.

I'll have to give this some thot. Nothing good comes to mind immediately.
? hand prosthetic ? maybe. That would take some time to master the feel.

Sincerely GOOD LUCK

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 10/20/21.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
How about attaching something like a cable camera shutter release possibly using either hand to trigger it

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Very Good Idea there nav.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I've tried switching shoulders I haven't practiced it to much. My right eye dominant is a pain I am going to work on it some more. I feel I have more control of the gun pulling it tight into my right shoulder.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I've tried switching shoulders I haven't practiced it to much. My right eye dominant is a pain I am going to work on it some more. I feel I have more control of the gun pulling it tight into my right shoulder.

I hear that. I practice shooting from the weak side and I've done it for quite a while. Never seems to feel 100% natural though, so I understand that completely. Hopefully you can get something figured out that works well. Good luck with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go to a quality single shot rifle and learn to shoot left handed. We humans have proven we are very adaptable and can adjust to almost any circumstance.

You can do it and let us know if you go that route. Best wishes and good for you for staying in the hunt!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very sorry to hear about your accident. For sure I would try a thumbhole. Boyds makes a ton of them.

IC B3

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
So far the only thing that has really suffered has been my handwriting, that was terrible before I became a lefty though. Thanks for the input

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had two left-handed children so I decided that if I was going to teach them to shoot properly I would have to learn to shoot left-handed, so I bought a left handed CZ 22 and got stuck into it, and it really didn’t take all that long to adapt

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Look into what used to be called winter triggers for m1 garands, its essentially pressing down a lever connected to the trigger typically for use with mitts.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hendricks
Look into what used to be called winter triggers for m1 garands, its essentially pressing down a lever connected to the trigger typically for use with mitts.

I've never heard of these. I would think this with a modified safety would be pretty perfect for what the OP is looking for. Good idea.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Remington has come up with some real doozies over the years...but my vote for the stupidest was the e-tronix. On second thought though, given the handicap you have, with modern components, a visit to radio shack and a little soldering, bingo, voice controlled trigger release. Although, I wouldn't go with "fire"....maybe "Rumplestiltskin".
On a more serious note, I worked with a guy who had his hand and glove go into a logging winch with about the same results as you, he's got a good thumb and the meta carpals, and he modified a sliding safety Mauser Mk X with 2 little pieces of simple linkage to trip the sear with a forward push...so it's kind of like a 3 position slider, safe, off safe, and fire. I haven't seen it but he said it was easier than learning to shoot left handed.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't think it's quite that complicated, I'm thinking a trigger with a light crisp pull and the thumb hole stock so my thump will help control the recoil. I've been shooting my 99 in 300 savage the biggest problem I have with that is the trigger pull of the 99. The winter guard is pretty slick based on the youtube video I saw

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend with the exact same problem , he uses a thumb hole stock and trips the trigger with his little finger with no issues, I just lightened up the trigger a bit for him.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I wasn't sure which forum to post this question so I figured I would try here first. Last year I decided to chop of my three middle fingers in a freak firewood accident leaving me my thumb and pinky. Seeing I decided to chop off my trigger finger I have been practicing using my pinky to pull the trigger. While it's certainly doable I can't get the grip I would like and picture getting a case of scope eye. I'm thinking maybe a rifle with a thumb hole stock might be the solution to my problem. And am looking for recommendations, I am leaning towards staying around the 308 caliber that should handle anything I plan on killing. Thanks in advance

You didn't mention what you plan to hunt, but you don't need anything bigger than a 6.5 Manbun or a 7-08 if you're not hunting dangerous game. In fact a 243 or 6 Creed can handle most of what's in the lower 48 quite neatly.

Given you have a hard time switching shoulders, I'd recommend getting a stock fitted that works for using your little finger.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not that a .308 Win is a heavy kicker but I’d also recommend a lighter recoiling cartridge. .308 Win is on the heavy side for anything that you’ve going to hunt in NY or surrounding states IMO. That and use a scope with as much eye relief as possible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I also agree on a lighter recoiling rifle. One reason why the 6.5 Creedmoor is so popular is the light recoil.

Sounds like you may need lots of trigger time to get used to your new situation, so all the more reason to go with a cartridge like the the 6.5 CM.

You can shoot it a lot at each range session and it will get the job done hunting.

The 6.5 is easy to shoot free recoil off of a bench so no worries there.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (17Fan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 65 invisible), 2,375 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,317
Posts18,487,330
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.