Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Or you could substitute capital for labor (especially if you don’t have ready access to a fabrication shop) and buy a LabRadar. But what fun would that be? 😃

I thought about that. But I already had the MS and don't use a chrono enough to justify the cost.

DF

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Partagas
I also had a question why you put the MS on the extension out in front of the jack stand vs just mounting it directly to the "L" or "T" bracket?

Relegated to shooting range benches, my rifle barrels extend beyond the bench top enough to warrant the extension. The front of the bench is the designated firing line. Though I could stand beside the bench, it is much easier to adjust while still seated behind the gun.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Or you could substitute capital for labor (especially if you don’t have ready access to a fabrication shop) and buy a LabRadar. But what fun would that be? 😃

I actually set out to buy a LabRadar originally. But, the manufacturer was dealing with delivery issues for an extended period of time once I was ready to purchase. I gave up on him and went with the MS. That is how I wound up with the original Magneto Speed version.

I have been thru first generation Oehler 35, upgraded several times, Shooting Chrony (which I would have put out of my misery with one bullet had I been alone), ProChrono, tried to buy a LabRadar with much frustration & settled on the Magneto Speed. And, it solved ALL of my chronograph related issues.

Of the many attempts at rejected prototypes this final version I posted here has cost me many times the price of this rig alone.

Last edited by Reloder28; 10/20/21.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I actually set out to buy a LabRadar originally. But, the manufacturer was dealing with delivery issues for an extended period of time once I was ready to purchase. I gave up on him and went with the MS. That is how I wound up with the original Magneto Speed version.

I have been thru first generation Oehler 35, upgraded several times, Shooting Chrony (which I would have put out of my misery with one bullet had I been alone), ProChrono, tried to buy a LabRadar with much frustration & settled on the Magneto Speed. And, it solved ALL of my chronograph related issues.

Of the many attempts at rejected prototypes this final version I posted here has cost me many times the price of this rig alone.

I’ve trod much the same path over the years. Have an Oehler sitting on the shelf that I don’t use any more though I loved it when I first got it. Guess I was lucky to get my LabRadar when I did.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If someone was set up where the Oehler could be permanently mounted on a cart and stored set up when not in use. And when needed, rolled out and positioned ahead of the gun barrel. Seems that would be about ideal, as that unit has been the gold standard forever, but not many can do that.

With bench limitations at the typical shooting range, this MS set up will work without having to attach to the barrel. I typically take several rifles to the range, let hot ones cool, while I shoot others. Constant swapping from barrel to barrel just doesn’t work. This does.

DF

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
If someone was set up where the Oehler could be permanently mounted on a cart and stored set up when not in use. And when needed, rolled out and positioned ahead of the gun barrel. Seems that would be about ideal, as that unit has been the gold standard forever, but not many can do that.

With bench limitations at the typical shooting range, this MS set up will work without having to attach to the barrel. I typically take several rifles to the range, let hot ones cool, while I shoot others. Constant swapping from barrel to barrel just doesn’t work. This does.

DF

Indeed you are right on many fronts. If I had a personal range I would build a rail in front of the bench and drill holes where I could drop the bolts that are on the ends of the Oehler setup. A couple of clamps to steady it and I would be in business. That way you could leave the sky screens attached and setting up would be a snap.

But I do my shooting at a busy club range. I alternate rifles as you do, letting barrels cool. The LabRadar works for me and I guess I was lucky to find them available when I decided to switch from my Oehler.

And a relatively small thing, but I love that results are recorded on an SD card so I can review everything in the comfort of my home office.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I keep my Olher setup on a tripod and it is simple to pick it up and make ready to chronograph

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
I keep my Olher setup on a tripod and it is simple to pick it up and make ready to chronograph

Certainly would be nice if we all had our own private ranges. I envy those that do. Or, can drive to the public land without the bother of others and be able to setup, shoot, go downrange without the permission of others. The nearest public land for me is at least 50 miles or further.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Certainly would be nice if we all had our own private ranges. I envy those that do. Or, can drive to the public land without the bother of others and be able to setup, shoot, go downrange without the permission of others. The nearest public land for me is at least 50 miles or further.

That is certainly a problem

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

That is certainly a problem

Labradar is a solution.

Reloder has shared an innovative MS solution. For those of us already with an MS and not wanting to drop $500 on a Labradar, this is a workable option.

DF

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

lol....

You sound like me. Custom Chronograph until the paper screens were no longer available, a PACT, which last I saw it was behind the tractor shed where I through it over the roof, Shooting Chrony, which I sold to my friend who promptly accidently shot it, my early M35 that now spends most (but not all) of its time under the reloading bench (next to the Custom Chronograph), and now my LabRadar.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

lol....

You sound like me. Custom Chronograph until the paper screens were no longer available, a PACT, which last I saw it was behind the tractor shed where I through it over the roof, Shooting Chrony, which I sold to my friend who promptly accidently shot it, my early M35 that now spends most (but not all) of its time under the reloading bench (next to the Custom Chronograph), and now my LabRadar.

I appreciate being able to coat tail Reloder's R and D costs. Sounds like both you guys have spent a good bit over the years on chrono's.

I have an old sky screen chrono that I no longer use, haven't been through as many as y'all.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/21/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
cheaper alternate for jack

I found this on amazon while looking and it looks like it would serve the same purpose for much cheaper. I also had a question why you put the MS on the extension out in front of the jack stand vs just mounting it directly to the "L" or "T" bracket?

To further address your alternate jack suggestion. The cantilever effect comes into play with my setup. The Lyman choice offers the weight to counteract the tendency to tip over when the sensor deck is fully extended. Granted the magnets capture most of that. But, the base weight is necessary overall. You could certainly add weight to whichever base you choose. I can certainly appreciate a more compact package overall. Thank you for the input.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
cheaper alternate for jack

I found this on amazon while looking and it looks like it would serve the same purpose for much cheaper. I also had a question why you put the MS on the extension out in front of the jack stand vs just mounting it directly to the "L" or "T" bracket?

To further address your alternate jack suggestion. The cantilever effect comes into play with my setup. The Lyman choice offers the weight to counteract the tendency to tip over when the sensor deck is fully extended. Granted the magnets capture most of that. But, the base weight is necessary overall. You could certainly add weight to whichever base you choose. I can certainly appreciate a more compact package overall. Thank you for the input.

I reckon a steel base would eliminate having to put magnets under the aluminum deck.

The Lyman jack is a very nice device. Some of those jacks seem pretty cheaply made, this one, even though it's Chicom, is pretty well made. It's size has to add to overall stability, although a smaller one could work if heavy enough.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just happen to see various small jacks available that obviously are cheap as they are chinese but was thinking the MS is pretty lightweight and not like you are using it as an actual gun rest. Plus I am a tightwad, lol. I think the steel platforms would make it easier like you mentioned for only having to use magnets on the T rail and I think would add some weight. I wondered about the cantilever effect but figured the chrono is so light it may not effect it much. Great ideas and I appreciate you sharing. I like DIY projects like this and being able to shoot groups while getting velocity is handy.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The MS unit is very light and even extended with the aluminum bar, still pretty light. A steel jack would probably work. Don’t think I’d go with the 4”x4” one. It may be a tad small; I’d want a more substantial base.

DF

Edited to add, for dual purpose, to be used also as a pistol rest, the Lyman would be hard to beat. Just flip it over, rubber deck up.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 10/23/21.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 160user, 50 invisible), 1,966 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,843
Posts18,517,256
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.