Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I love .22 mag but finding consistent ammo always seems to be the problem. Was sitting around kinda bored and decided to pull out a brick of .22 mag and weigh the rounds to see the discrepancy between each. CCI Maximag 40 gr JHP.
Lightest of the group was 8.89 gr
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Heaviest was 9.10 gr
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]cirno wallpaper
All but 41 of the 500 fell between 8.97 and 9.05

I’m curious as to how much more consistency I can get from shooting similar weights vs pulling random rounds from a box.
Anyone done any experimenting like this for the 22 mag?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sumpin wong. Da boolit way 30-45 gr?

God Bless America
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
Sumpin wong. Da boolit way 30-45 gr?

And we have a winner!!!^^^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve never put it on a scale but .22 mag is obviously well known for not being all that accurate. I’ve never had a high end .22 mag but never had a really accurate one either. The only one I own today is a CZ American that I like but only holds around an inch at 50 yards. Being a rimfire with a relatively long straight wall cartridge and not being manufactured to high tolerances it has a lot going against it. It’s a fill a role hunters cartridge for between 22lr and 22 Hornet IMO and not bad for that but with some of the .17’s there’s other options that cover a lot of it what does and with better accuracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never used any tool like this, but the 22LR competitors use them.
This one works with most rimfires.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The ammo competitors use for 22 comp. is super pricey because it's made to be accurate. The 22 magnum is just a plinking round. You could go with the 17HMR.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I’ve never put it on a scale but .22 mag is obviously well known for not being all that accurate. I’ve never had a high end .22 mag but never had a really accurate one either. The only one I own today is a CZ American that I like but only holds around an inch at 50 yards. Being a rimfire with a relatively long straight wall cartridge and not being manufactured to high tolerances it has a lot going against it. It’s a fill a role hunters cartridge for between 22lr and 22 Hornet IMO and not bad for that but with some of the .17’s there’s other options that cover a lot of it what does and with better accuracy.
Both my Marlin 882 and my Henry lever action will beat that. The Marlin will average 1" or a hair better at 100 yards on a still day with a good lot of it's preferred ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Both my Marlin 882 and my Henry lever action will beat that. The Marlin will average 1" or a hair better at 100 yards on a still day with a good lot of it's preferred ammo.

No doubt that there are more accurate guns but 22 mag has a lot working against it. The biggest might be lack of premium target ammo designed for it but the case length and being rimfire with an inconsistent ignition rate doesn’t help its cause. I like .22 mag but overall it’s never been the most accurate cartridge I’ve owned.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

No doubt that there are more accurate guns but 22 mag has a lot working against it. The biggest might be lack of premium target ammo designed for it but the case length and being rimfire with an inconsistent ignition rate doesn’t help its cause. I like .22 mag but overall it’s never been the most accurate cartridge I’ve owned.
I didn't buy them for punching holes in paper. These are killing rifles. Something they are better at than the .22LR or .17HMR on bigger critters like Woodchucks, coons and coyotes. In fact, I sold my .17HMR. Yes it was slightly more accurate than my 882 but seeing as how we don't have colony varmints here, I found It was good for crows and not much else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same here. .22 mags sweet spot is as you said woodchuck/raccoon size critters inside of about a hundred yards.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I love it. Punches above its weight. Planning a trip down south this winter to try and find a few hogs to kill. WMA hunts so I have to use a rimfire since its small game season. I’d like to do some experimenting and see if I can squeeze a little extra accuracy out of the gun.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have done the same with 22 lr and when shot in a weight group it did make a difference.

I did it that day because i had nothing else to do and was flustered after shooting the day before.

I would have a group going and one or 2 shots would screw it up.

Had rifle bagged and it was solid.

The ammo i did was Rem gold and it was before the plague hit us by about 4 years.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Savage 22 mag that will shoot an inch group at 100 yards with the old style Winchester ammo. I’ve tried several other brands of ammo, and none shoot as well in my rifle.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never weighed them nor measured rim thickness, the old Remington Premier with the gold plastic ballistic tip was the most accurate for me. But that was years ago in a Cooper 57M. When CCI introduced their new ballistic tip rounds the quality went south. I have no idea as to where to start other than the RWS which was considered an accurate .22 Mag round in the 70’s.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Yep. My Marlin 22 mag will do the same.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My BRNO semi-auto does a reasonable job with some ammo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had .22wmr in a Cooper 57M and an Anschutz 54 sporter that would both shoot lights out. Only one I have now is a Browning A-Bolt and it’s a damn good shooter also. Never sorted ammo by weight or rim thickness for any of them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve killed more $hit with a 22 mag than anything. Accuracy hasn’t been a problem

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a 94-22m, 1st year made, 1972. Damn thing loves CCI Maxi-mag hp's. Shoots the same with solids. Scoped up it will shoot to an inch all day long at 100 yds. Hell on jacks and squirrels (and more than its fair share of coyotes). Only way this one leaves my hands is to be handed down to the grand daughter in another 4 years or so.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have an Anschutz 1720 22 mag that is very accurate. You do have to experiment with different loads to see what it likes. Mine likes CCI 30 grain best and Hornady the least. Of course with the current shortage you have to shoot what you can get.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 783 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.