Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
The Daily Beast writer is extremely ignorant of firearms and terms related to them. She writes several times, "misfire," yet hasn't a clue that "misfire" means

The LA Times writer apparently didn’t want to be outdone by the Beast.

Some updates in this L.A. Times story.

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he repeated the action, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hollywood getting more Looney Toons every day...

now Baldwin has killed someone..... he'll skate and they will pass the blame for it all to someone else.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The Daily Beast writer is extremely ignorant of firearms and terms related to them. She writes several times, "misfire," yet hasn't a clue that "misfire" means

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he repeated the action, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza.

Written by halfwits without comprehension of the subject.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well you know Alec Baldwin didn't shoot the two people intentionally....

Less face it, he could only have hit them by accident.....

if he would have been aiming intentionally, this is a guy who couldn't hit Texas while standing on the Oklahoma/Texas state line...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Wow, the reporter knows his stuff. [/sarcasm]

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by deflave
I would think that with knowledge being what it is today that nobody would ever allow a gun (prop or not) to be aimed toward people.

If you tubers can figure out ways around it, I’m sure Hollywood can to.

Exactly! There is no reason to point it directly at a person. Any competent director/camera crew can take the angles that make it "look" legit, but maintain safety.

They weren't even filming, it was a practice run. The film crew had left 6 hours earlier.

Even less of a reason to be pointing it at anyone. There isn't a single reason why the gun should have been pointed at anyone it could have injured or killed. Practice run or not.

I don't disagree, just stating the facts as released.

It looks like it was more than a practice run and that there were crew there. The crew that had left 6 hours earlier were some of the union that was protesting the unsafe conditions (they were right). But there were replacement crew there and even the director of photography who was killed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Hollywood getting more Looney Toons every day...

now Baldwin has killed someone..... he'll skate and they will pass the blame for it all to someone else.

Blame it on the NRA and gun culture.

Proud NRA Life Member
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I still don't get how anyone can pick up a gun and not verify personally whether it is loaded or not. Even then there isn't a reason to point it directly at anything you don't intend to shoot. Baldwin is an idiot of the first order and no matter a person's stance on guns it is their responsibility to maintain all forms of gun safety once it is in their hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
No, but I can easily see how with a single action revolver where you have to spin the entire cylinder past the oading gate to look how one could miss that one live primer. And I can see fake live primers being used too. I remember in movies like Saving Private Ryan I always noticed that the rounds in the machine gun belts didn’t have primers.
I don't mean to be picking on you, JoeBob, but they've been making movies with guns for a long time now. Don't you think they have had time to evolve some pretty strict safety procedures? You could do things like put blaze orange pieces of plastic in flashholes for dummies or orange plastic cases for instances where you wanted to show bullets through the front of a cylinder, etc. It would be easy for a prop man to line up a cylinder so that the next cocking brings up the correct round.

This stuff isn't difficult and is well understood. Any actor/actress that doesn't understand this could be trained on it in a half hour or less.
There's no excuse why the actor can't be the last link in a chain of quality/safety control.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shootem
Hide & watch. It wasn’t Baldwin’s responsibility to “vet” the prop gun.
And if it wasn't his responsibility to do a final check on the gun, they should all lose their asses in court, including Baldwin.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It appears the armorer was a 24 year old "gunsmith" that said she didn't feel she was ready for the job. Apparently she wasn't.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tyrone
No, but I can easily see how with a single action revolver where you have to spin the entire cylinder past the oading gate to look how one could miss that one live primer. And I can see fake live primers being used too. I remember in movies like Saving Private Ryan I always noticed that the rounds in the machine gun belts didn’t have primers.
I don't mean to be picking on you, JoeBob, but they've been making movies with guns for a long time now. Don't you think they have had time to evolve some pretty strict safety procedures? You could do things like put blaze orange pieces of plastic in flashholes for dummies or orange plastic cases for instances where you wanted to show bullets through the front of a cylinder, etc. It would be easy for a prop man to line up a cylinder so that the next cocking brings up the correct round.

This stuff isn't difficult and is well understood. Any actor/actress that doesn't understand this could be trained on it in a half hour or less.
There's no excuse why the actor can't be the last link in a chain of quality/safety control.

Well, let’s look at that for an instant. With a single action revolver, for the actor to be the last line of defense, he is going to have to spin the chamber past the loading gate on every cartridge. If he does that, how is the prop man going to line up the correct cylinder as you say? For an actor who is most likely a non gun guy, he is going to get the pistol, inexpertly check it, then probably have to hand it back to the prop guy again to get it right before shooting the scene.

In a normal situation, the first tell on a revolver is seeing the rims at the end of the cylinder. But that wouldn’t work with dummy rounds. So now your back to having the actor spin the cylinder. Maybe he looks at five chambers and not six. Maybe he is tired and missed the one.

The point is that gun handling in movies is inherently unsafe. You’re going to be doing things that an actual gun owner would never do. And the one thing that probably just isn’t accounted for on a professional movie set is an ACTUAL live round. Everything I’ve see on has the movie people referring to a blank as a “live round”. This was apparently a real 44-40 cartridge. How does that even happen? Why was there a live round within a mile of this set? That’s going to be outside of the experience of every actor in Hollywood on a movie set. It isn’t even something most of them would even contemplate. A hot blank, yeah, maybe. But a live round mixed in with some dummies? Yeah, no.

And for everyone who is on here saying that they would never point a real firearm at someone even with blanks, I’m just going to assume and know you are lying if you’ve been in the Army within the last forty years or so.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/23/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gee, the diversity hire didn't work out so well.

I'm shocked!!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And for everyone who is on here saying that they would never point a real firearm at someone even with blanks, I’m just going to assume and know you are lying if you’ve been in the Army within the last forty years or so.

The BFA on the end is red, easily visible, and it's that way for a reason.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A lot of actors in the 1950's 60's and even up to the 70's were WWII vets or were raised around guns. They knew how to handle them and make sure they were safe. Today, very few Hollywood actors really know guns. The exception being Tom Seleck, Keanu Reeves, and maybe Bruce Willis.

He should be tried for unintentional manslaughter.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Well, let’s look at that for an instant. With a single action revolver, for the actor to be the last line of defense, he is going to have to spin the chamber past the loading gate on every cartridge. If he does that, how is the prop man going to line up the correct cylinder as you say? For an actor who is most likely a non gun guy, he is going to get the pistol, inexpertly check it, then probably have to hand it back to the prop guy again to get it right before shooting the scene.

In a normal situation, the first tell on a revolver is seeing the rims at the end of the cylinder. But that wouldn’t work with dummy rounds. So now your back to having the actor spin the cylinder. Maybe he looks at five chambers and not six. Maybe he is tired and missed the one.

The point is that gun handling in movies is inherently unsafe. You’re going to be doing things that an actual gun owner would never do. And the one thing that probably just isn’t accounted for on a professional movie set is an ACTUAL live round. Everything I’ve see on has the movie people referring to a blank as a “live round”. This was apparently a real 44-40 cartridge. How does that even happen? Why was there a live round within a mile of this set? That’s going to be outside of the experience of every actor in Hollywood on a movie set. It isn’t even something most of them would even contemplate. A hot blank, yeah, maybe. But a live round mixed in with some dummies? Yeah, no.

One can check and double check the gun, but there is still no reason to ever point it at someone or something you don’t intend to shoot. It is the actor’s ultimate responsibility to adhere to this and find a way to reposition so this isn’t the case. Stop the scene and tell the director that adjustments need to be made so no one is at risk including the crew. The film viewers wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if done properly.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by goalie

Oh, so you’re saying that violating one of the central tenets of firearms safety is okay under certain highly regulated conditions?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Oh, so you’re saying that violating one of the central tenets of firearms safety is okay under certain highly regulated conditions?

I'm saying we trained with them in the Corps and didn't kill each other by accident. We understood what we were doing, why we were doing it, and used a visible device that didn't allow live ammo too be fired or the end of the barrel.

If you were dumb enough to snuggle a live round, load it, and shoot it with a BFA on your rifle, YOU were gonna be the one getting hurt........

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I'm saying we trained with them in the Corps and didn't kill each other by accident. We understood what we were doing, why we were doing it, and used a visible device that didn't allow love ammo too be fired or the end of the barrel.

If you were dumb enough to snuggle a live round, load it, and shoot it with a BFA on your rifle, YOU were gonna be the one getting hurt........

So violating one of the central tenets of gun safety is okay as long as it’s regulated and no one gets hurt? Got it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm saying we trained with them in the Corps and didn't kill each other by accident. We understood what we were doing, why we were doing it, and used a visible device that didn't allow love ammo too be fired or the end of the barrel.

So violating one of the central tenets of gun safety is okay as long as it’s regulated and no one gets hurt? Got it.

It's called training. I'll wait for your detailed explanation of how you propose to have a CAX without anyone pointing a weapon at anyone else.

Or maybe you just think the military should have more gender studies safety briefs and not train.

🙄

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (B52RadarNav, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 16 invisible), 1,287 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,150
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.