Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Yep. There's not a whole lot that's more fun than corning the roads, getting all liquored up and then jumping outta the truck in the dead of night and unloading a mag of .45 ACP at a sounder. I've blasted many a hog that way - and many a jackrabbit as well.

LOL. Me too. A dumbass buddy shot a hole in the hood of one of my old pickups doing that. He was riding in the back shooting over the hood while me and another buddy were shooting out of the windows.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ToeCutter
maybe worst shooting ive ever seen

LOL.

Yeah, 2 of your 5 total posts here said that.

Aside from 6 dead hogs in the video, please feel free to post up your own video where you did much better, or at least a photo of your trophy shelf full of awards for shooting at night... smile

We'll wait.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
You'll be waiting a while.
Lol

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Simple question. If so what sight do you use for the task?

I have done a lot of spotlighting, shooting rabbits, foxes, cats, roos, pigs etc, mostly from the back of a truck. If you have a good spotlight then more or less any scope will do. If your light is not so good you want a scope which can make up for it. A good Euro scope like a 6x42 or 8x56 will do even under good moonlight, without the electric sunshine.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I hunt coyotes at night. I’ve got a Super Hogster, MK3 60MM, and a Super YoterR. One of the biggest things for me is having a decent scanner. I’m looking through that a lot more than the sight. I want a scanner with a good detection range, big FOV, and clear.

Also I like a good base mag for coyotes on the weapon sight. It’s pretty open out here. If I was hunting somewhere the cover is tight I wouldn’t want as much magnification.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ToeCutter
maybe worst shooting ive ever seen

LOL.

Yeah, 2 of your 5 total posts here said that.

Aside from 6 dead hogs in the video, please feel free to post up your own video where you did much better, or at least a photo of your trophy shelf full of awards for shooting at night... smile

We'll wait.

Shooting looks like it was free-hand. Once that first shot is taken and they scatter and run full-out, 6 dead hogs is not bad at all.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The only animals that can be shot at night in Idaho are raccoons and coyotes. If you're on private land, you must have written permission from the landowner and if on public land, you need a permit from the Idaho Fish and Game dept.
A couple years ago, IDFG sharpshooters shot about 200 elk at night on private farmland to run the elk away. Needless to say, the public screamed and asked why hunters weren't allowed to do it. The problem with that is a state law prohibiting the public from hunting at night. It was beyond the authority of the IDFG to allow it. Their own sharpshooters were the only ones allowed to do it. Only the state legislature can change that and it's highly unlikely that they ever will.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Probably going out back for coons tonight.

I have lots more to rid the place of.

S&W M&P 1522 that I have one of my Super Hogster thermals on.

Killed some with it already. It works great. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So you use a suppressor?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Me?' A place to sleep. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by logger
Probably going out back for coons tonight.

I have lots more to rid the place of.

S&W M&P 1522 that I have one of my Super Hogster thermals on.

Killed some with it already. It works great. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So you use a suppressor?

Don't really think it'd do a whole lot of good on the .22 with supersonic ammo. It's pretty quiet as it is.

My .308 has some sound mitigating equipment on the end of the barrel though. It thunders pretty loud on a still night without it. wink

Last night I sat and killed several coons, one after the other. Wait a few minutes, and another comes in.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I want to be Rockin’B or geedub when I grow up……damn, that shooting hogs at night with a thermal looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

Thanks guys for sharing the video and your experience on night optics, it’s been very helpful to me. In fact after reading Rockins posts about the Wraith I recently bought one. I’m sure that I’ll likely follow his progression through the bank account evolution of night vision from IR to thermal. As far as I’m concerned, there’s no better a review than that of men I trust giving an account of their unbiased and honest experiences with various types of optics.

Thanks guys……good thread. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Appreciate the kind words!

I think long and hard before recommending something here. I need to know it works, and put things through the mill, and if it passes, I mention them.

Fixing to out back and see if I can't dent the coons a bit more. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The only animals that can be shot at night in Idaho are raccoons and coyotes. If you're on private land, you must have written permission from the landowner and if on public land, you need a permit from the Idaho Fish and Game dept.
A couple years ago, IDFG sharpshooters shot about 200 elk at night on private farmland to run the elk away. Needless to say, the public screamed and asked why hunters weren't allowed to do it. The problem with that is a state law prohibiting the public from hunting at night. It was beyond the authority of the IDFG to allow it. Their own sharpshooters were the only ones allowed to do it. Only the state legislature can change that and it's highly unlikely that they ever will.

Couldn’t hunters kill them during the day?…..or were they some mutant breed of nocturnal ghost elk? 😁 It’s been my experience over many years helping a friend with problem elk and I know for a fact that it doesn’t matter what time of the day or night that you kill them, if that’s the only feed source (or the conditions dictate) the elk will be back. The only way to “run elk off” is to get them in the freezer. Certainly seems reasonable that hunters could’ve done that and paid for the opportunity. That would be a nice unplanned windfall for the local businesses that the hunters would frequent, instead the tax payers paid sharpshooters…..😫

I know I’m not telling you anything that you don’t already know RockChuck but politics and wildlife management aren’t a good combination.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I started out with a Sightmark photon. Now I have a AGM rattler 35 thermal. Judging distance is hard with the thermal for me too.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here’s a vid from an ATN Thor I’ve shown before. Big difference from above but a good introduction to thermals IMO. This was about 45 yards and zoomed in. There’s degradation in the quality when you zoom in but it’s not terrible.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Dunno it matters much, but “quiet” certainly was a winner for me with hogs. Killed 5 one day without taking a step, and on several occasions whacked 2 in the same fashion. T/C Contender carbine shooting .22 CB shorts w/o a muffler. -Phfft-Flop- is how it sounded.

In more recent times I nailed a couple with the Sneezer in like fashion.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Here’s a vid from an ATN Thor I’ve shown before. Big difference from above but a good introduction to thermals IMO. This was about 45 yards and zoomed in. There’s degradation in the quality when you zoom in but it’s not terrible.

Where is that legal at?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I just ordered a ATN THOR 320 5x10 last night. I am stoked to get it . Anyone ever used one?

Great vids and thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by hunter4623

Where is that legal at?

Curious here, too.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Probably a DMP permit,anything goes.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,390 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,380
Posts18,488,556
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.