Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by tankerjockey
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
😜
Had a 45-70 once, but here in NC...did not need it so it went down the road.!

Apparently you're not familiar with the Rifle Loony Motto: "Need has nothing to do with it!"
[/quote]

Absolutely nothing![/quote]

I known but the safe was getting full and I promised my wife I would sell a few to get a few I wanted....hence the "need" part! Haha.

Last edited by Bobcat85; 10/26/21.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
And one again we discover the ,30-06 fangirls are the most sensitive out there. When the failure of their garbage cartridge is pointed out, the cry and whine. But they can't defend it, because the .30-06 lacks any advantages..

Yep, no doubt about it, the '06 is a failure. I don't think it's gonna catch on.

Lots of [bleep] things catch on - like the McDonalds hamburger. It's undoubtedly the most popular hamburger in the world, and it's a thin grey slab of Q-grade beef often times with cellulose and soy filler. It's garbage. But it's immensely popular.

The .30-06 is the same way - a garbage cartridge that gained a following because the army in their infinite stupidity adopted it. The American hunter would have been far better off with something like the 9,3x64 Brenneke necked to whatever bullet diameter they wanted but the McDonalds woodburger won out.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't own a 30 06 and Lamebob is still a Kchunt.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We'll be back with the conclusion of our Friday Fright Night movie, Dr. Grendel and Mr. Wylde, after this message from The Brass Monkey - America's cartridge store.

The 30-06

The 30-06 is a real man's tote,
With an envious history that's worthy of note.
As pure and as pious as an Ave Maria,
As fun and as funky as a Cherry Garcia.

It never went stale like the short magnums did.
Or disappointed deer hunters (Heaven forbid!)
From varmints to deer, big bears and more.
Through Korea and Asia and two world wars.

Shot from Springfields, Garands and BARs,
It's earned its fair share of battlefield scars.
From 1906 to the present day,
It hasn't slowed down. It's not getting gray.

But what of the question: just what can't it do?
The answer is "nothing", but you already knew.
It's always been the best of America's picks.
The legend continues. The 30-06.

-2012, Stephen Redgwell

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Steve waxes poetic.

Good stuff and it rhymes.

DF

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread seems to be one of those which is the very best cartridge/rifle etc.
I own a few short actions but I like long actions more than short. I like “too much cartridge” more than “too little”. I like push feed and I have controlled feed, not sure why, but think a push feed is my favorite.
I have said before that I like 30-06 best, but I don’t know anymore. Certainly have killed more deer with a 30-06 than any other cartridge, but for pronghorns, for elk and for bear??? I guess the 30-06 would not always be my first choice, especially for pronghorns.
I like 270’s, 280’s, 7mm magnums, 7x57’s, 7.92x57,257’s, 25-06’s, 300 magnums of all sorts, 308’s, 300 Savage, 223’s, 222’s, 22-250’s, 6mm’s, 35 calibers of all sorts, 375’s, 45 calibers of all sorts, even the 303 Brit is a pretty good cartridge, not to mention AI’s in above, muzzle loader, lever guns, single shots - there seems to be no end. But I’m not much of a fan of ultra-magnums any more.
If I were forced to have only one cartridge or only one rifle manufacture’s model, it would be tough. But I’d probably end up with a long action 700 BDL I suppose, and for a cartridge - depends on the day I’d guess.

Last edited by Bugger; 10/26/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I second what Dave Petzal would say.

My “Petzal” comment was meant to reflect what I think his acerbic comment would be regarding this topic — that there isn’t enough different between about twenty cartridges mentioned here to amount to spit.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
And one again we discover the ,30-06 fangirls are the most sensitive out there. When the failure of their garbage cartridge is pointed out, the cry and whine. But they can't defend it, because the .30-06 lacks any advantages..

I don’t even have an ‘06 presently. I bet you were not notified of your class reunion either.

Again, it’s not so much what you say, though there is that, but how you say it. It's tough to go through life angry and spiteful.

cheer up!

Oh, I'm not angry at all. I'm enjoying laughing at the .30-06 fangirls laugh

But your pussy still hurts.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Bugger]This thread seems to be one of those which is the very best cartridge/rifle etc.
I own a few short actions but I like long actions more than short. I like “too much cartridge” more than “too little”. I like push feed and I have controlled feed, not sure why, but think a push feed is my favorite.
I have said before that I like 30-06 best, but I don’t know anymore. Certainly have killed more deer with a 30-06 than any other cartridge, but for pronghorns, for elk and for bear??? I guess the 30-06 would not always be my first choice, especially for pronghorns.
I like 270’s, 280’s, 7mm magnums, 7x57’s, 7.92x57,257’s, 25-06’s, 300 magnums of all sorts, 308’s, 300 Savage, 223’s, 222’s, 22-250’s, 6mm’s, 35 calibers of all sorts, 375’s, 45 calibers of all sorts, even the 303 Brit is a pretty good cartridge, not to mention AI’s in above, muzzle loader, lever guns, single shots - there seems to be no end. But I’m not much of a fan of ultra-magnums any more.
If I were forced to have only one cartridge or only one rifle manufacture’s model, it would be tough. But I’d probably end up with a long action 700 BDL I suppose, and for a cartridge - depends on the day I’d guess.
—————/—————

Man Oh Man.. you might change your mind after this.

You sound LIKE me. I’m serious.

I like quite a few cartridges however....

I don’t own ONE short action cartridge or rifle.
Too much doesn’t hurt..
Too little can leave you disappointed.

I have and HAVE HAD more 700s than ANY other
brand/model.

THIS thread ‘specifivally’ named the Deer species
etc. For THAT purpose I pick the 270 Win.

**But for ONE cartridge for “North America”....
I pick the 7 RM w/o reservations.

The ONLY reason I pick the 7 over the 06 is
Trajectory!! The 06 is NOT as flat Shooting as the
7 RM.

I’m completely satisfied and confident that those two rounds will handle
ANY critter in N A.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
We'll be back with the conclusion of our Friday Fright Night movie, Dr. Grendel and Mr. Wylde, after this message from The Brass Monkey - America's cartridge store.

The 30-06

-2012, Stephen Redgwell

I had to steal a copy of that!
Not a whole lot that it cannot do.
Man can get out of a lotta trouble with $700 and a 30-06

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
IC B3

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I second what Dave Petzal would say.

My “Petzal” comment was meant to reflect what I think his acerbic comment would be regarding this topic — that there isn’t enough different between about twenty cartridges mentioned here to amount to spit.

In the real world this is the most accurate post in this thread.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
FWP,

Somebody posted something similar pretty early in the thread:

"I have taken and seen taken a LOT of big game over the decades, with a lot of different cartridges, and the longer that goes on the less difference I see in how various big game cartridges kill game. As long as the bullet expands and penetrates sufficiently in the vital organs, they basically all work far more similarly than not."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bobcat85
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
True.

When are you going to fiddle with the big bores? 😜

Dont know.....never had a need to. Been having too much fun with the small bores!
Had a 45-70 once, but here in NC...did not need it so it went down the road. Same with 7mmMag. Now I'm too old to adventure out into the wilderness like I use to so I stick with things I know and enjoy. My bucket list is often filled reading about you younger guys doing the hard core stuff. I live it cause I know I'll never personally do it but can vision it thru your discriptions!

I don't really need a 45-70 either. That's why I have two of them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep, no doubt about it, the '06 is a failure. I don't think it's gonna catch on.

Lots of [bleep] things catch on - like the McDonalds hamburger. It's undoubtedly the most popular hamburger in the world, and it's a thin grey slab of Q-grade beef often times with cellulose and soy filler. It's garbage. But it's immensely popular.

The .30-06 is the same way - a garbage cartridge that gained a following because the army in their infinite stupidity adopted it. The American hunter would have been far better off with something like the 9,3x64 Brenneke necked to whatever bullet diameter they wanted but the McDonalds woodburger won out.

I never got a Grey burger in my life from McDonalds. I don't know what kind of third world backwater you frequent?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Lamebob's FOS.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

The 30-06

-2012, Stephen Redgwell

Burma-Shave.

🤭 Steve, my apologies. Look how the rabble treat fine poetry. Memories from my inner childhood. 😀

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
That’s okay. I like those old ads.

—-

If no more guns
Were in the mix
The world would use
A 30-06

Burma Shave

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

OK Bob, if the 06 is one of the most popular cartridges ever, please explain why it's a "failure." Does it fail to kill big game??

BTW, saying the McDonald's hamburger is a failure is the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time, thanks for the laugh. A "failure" of the kind you wish you'd thought of.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Only lamebobs choice of cartridge can kill game.
The 30 06 is only good for mice at close range.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

OK Bob, if the 06 is one of the most popular cartridges ever, please explain why it's a "failure."

It's a failure because it's bad at what it does. As a military round, it was too expensive per round, too bulky and heavy thus impeding logistics, and offered nothing in return. The 6mm Navy was superior in every respect (although likewise needing an upgrade to a spitzer bullet and later powders and a Mauser-type rifle), but this being the Army they couldn't admit that. Similarly the 275 Pedersen was superior in all respects, but the Army couldn't listen to John Garand, so they stuck with [bleep].

As a hunting round, it's bigger diameter than it needs to be for non-dangerous game, and not big enough for dangerous game. It manages to be [bleep] at both. The case has excess taper and the wrong neck angle hurting accuracy and reloadability, not to mention costing some velocity for no benefit.

Hell, even the original rifles were abject [bleep] that everyone now agrees are unsafe-to-fire wallhangers. They were [bleep] when they came out too, but the Army ignored it.

BTW, saying the McDonald's hamburger is a failure is the funniest thing I've heard in quite some time, thanks for the laugh. A "failure" of the kind you wish you'd thought of.

Well, this goes a long way to explain you. You're one of those people who can't tell their ass from a hole in the ground. When confronted with a low grade, overcooked burger filled with cellulose and soy, you're apparently overjoyed. It's easy to see why you wouldn't be able to tell a good cartridge from a bad one, because you apparently can't tell a good hamburger from [bleep] either.

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

254 members (257 mag, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 28 invisible), 1,783 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,159
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.