-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well it is a well known fact that bears are herd animals. So shooting that many in one sitting isn't a problem.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
A man armed with a 6.5 (insert numbers or name here) and some Sitka gear could easily harvest 300 or more bears a year

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Originally Posted by OXN939
, considering that he killed more Alaskan big game than probably anyone who is currently alive.

I'll have to disagree with that. I have worked with men who have for many years, harvested 30 to 40 Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in "TWO WEEKS". Or harvesting 300 Black Bears a year. Or shooting 50 or 60 Caribou for Bear Bait. It is a giggle how naïve current sport hunters are.......I guess that is for the best, overall.

I'll respectfully disagree that it's possible for anyone in 2021 to have killed as many Alaskan big game animals as a guy who was a professional hunter for four decades over a century ago... but you're welcome to your opinion.

Original point stands. Big magnums cause big misses for a lot of folks, and a .30 caliber 150 grain TTSX doing north of 2500 FPS impact velocity will do the trick for anything from Blacktail to Moose.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
, considering that he killed more Alaskan big game than probably anyone who is currently alive.

I'll have to disagree with that. I have worked with men who have for many years, harvested 30 to 40 Alaska Coastal Brown Bears in "TWO WEEKS". Or harvesting 300 Black Bears a year. Or shooting 50 or 60 Caribou for Bear Bait. It is a giggle how naïve current sport hunters are.......I guess that is for the best, overall.

I'll respectfully disagree that it's possible for anyone in 2021 to have killed as many Alaskan big game animals as a guy who was a professional hunter for four decades over a century ago... but you're welcome to your opinion.

Suggest you reread the book, Alaska's Wolf Man. He was only a market hunter for the mining company and only for a very brief time. He made his living as a trapper. Towards the end he did work for the Government.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Suggest you reread the book, Alaska's Wolf Man. He was only a market hunter for the mining company and only for a very brief time. He made his living as a trapper. Towards the end he did work for the Government.

Suggest you take your own advice.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

He was only a market hunter for the mining company and only for a very brief time. He made his living as a trapper.

That is categorically wrong. Glaser executed multiple contracts as a hunter for the Road Commission (page 52), the U.S. Biological Survey (page 82), and the Park Srrvice (page 89) to name a few. He trapped and he hunted.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

He was only a market hunter for the mining company and only for a very brief time. He made his living as a trapper.

That is categorically wrong. Glaser executed multiple contracts as a hunter for the Road Commission (page 52), the U.S. Biological Survey (page 82), and the Park Srrvice (page 89) to name a few. He trapped and he hunted.

Yup! But being wrong has never slowed him before...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Frank sure did have some flamboyant, wounded bear stories. Wounded bear comes charging him and his dogs, he shoots it again. Bear runs off, he catches up, shoots it again.

Somewhere in that book, he claimed to have settled on a 30-06 220 grain for bears.

Never understood his expirement to own wolf/Malamute hybrids. Hundreds of generations of breeding to have kind, rugged dogs. I'd never stray from that lineage, devolving back to wolves. One of those dogs just about killed a man. I guess it wasn't a dog that day.

I found an old trapper cabin up the headwaters of Richardson Clearwater that is still maintained. It is carved on the door: HANS SEPPALA 1940. He lived up Banner Creek and had Siberian huskies. When Frank Glasser was outta dogs, he would hire Hans

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

I found an old trapper cabin up the headwaters of Richardson Clearwater that is still maintained. It is carved on the door: HANS SEPPALA 1940. He lived up Banner Creek and had Siberian huskies. When Frank Glasser was outta dogs, he would hire Hans

Good info right there. Thanks.
I wonder if he was a relative of Leonard.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

The best story was the clean dinner plates nailed to the table in the trapper’s cabin.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by sayak
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

Good info right there. Thanks.
I wonder if he was a relative of Leonard.

Well, if I'm remembering this correct, Hans was from Finland, and Leonard was from Norway,,,,,, but hey, you never know for sure, could have been a "Candle" burning in a Window, sometime, somewhere..... cool Lj

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Ive hunted my share of caribou and although the 45/70 wouldnt be my choice, it certainly isnt useless in the right hands. One of the best hunters I know has used an old JM Marlin for decades. Its his only rifle. I was standing right beside him one cold November day years back when he shot a nice bull at 250 yards. Just a couple of years ago I was again by his side when he killed a mountain goat at a ranged 198 yards. He does all his shooting with an old Williams aperture sight. No glass. Ive personally busted a few interior grizzlies with the 45/70 so I know anyone who says its "useless" really doesn't know what he's talking about. Personally, I prefer the 444 Marlin. It shoots a tad flatter for those longer shots..

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Knowyour gun. com

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254
Ive hunted my share of caribou and although the 45/70 wouldnt be my choice, it certainly isnt useless in the right hands. One of the best hunters I know has used an old JM Marlin for decades. Its his only rifle. I was standing right beside him one cold November day years back when he shot a nice bull at 250 yards. Just a couple of years ago I was again by his side when he killed a mountain goat at a ranged 198 yards. He does all his shooting with an old Williams aperture sight. No glass. Ive personally busted a few interior grizzlies with the 45/70 so I know anyone who says its "useless" really doesn't know what he's talking about. Personally, I prefer the 444 Marlin. It shoots a tad flatter for those longer shots..

Thank you. It all comes down to ability. I was reading a 1906 edition of the Hunter-Trapper-Trader magazine and a fellow in there said the 45-70 is an effective hunting cartridge out to 800 yards. So guys who say it's useless are just indicting themselves and their abilities

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Swamplord
Originally Posted by moosemike
I'm surprised no one mentioned the 45-70. Is there a reason?

Because it is overglorified in it potence, a huge number of gundummies @ nates cannot be swayed with crisp, clear data of the lousy ballistics, they cry "45-70" yet have zero clue of it's uselessness for ALL hunting conditions.... limiting themselves to rock throwing distances and tracking for hours into the night and often into the next day ... to be shot with a fkn 270 Win

The fact that the 45-70 would be lousy for some situations is beside the point. In others, it may be one of the best. The hunter would probably know which is which and have other options. This thread was started with that idea in mind for a better overall strategy to hunt Alaska.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The 338 Winchester is certainly my idea of the one cartridge for all larger game. I do have a favorite rifle in 338 Winchester.

But, I have been using the stainless 20” barrel 375 and 416 Rugers for moose for the past several years. The maximum shooting distance / visibility in my normal hunting area is about 225 yds. Usual actual shooting distance is much closer. I have been using the 270 grain TSX in 375’s and 350 TSX in the 416’s.
No complaints with their performance. The tipped versions definitely maintain the velocity a bit better.

Lots of specialized rifles and cartridges for long / super-long distances and higher elevation hunting for others to discuss.

The lightest rifle / scope combinations that I have are Kimber Montana’s in 325 WSM and 338 Winchester.

Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
I've had a good amount of time while glassing this season to think again about the best hunting rifle setup for Alaska. I have been hunting with a 338 the last two years with the idea that it can be great everywhere but it has been occurring to me that as great as it is, it's not as 'perfect' as either of those in the below respective regions, and there's really no reason to limit myself to one great hunting rifle. The idea being that the rifle is great for the intended big game found in those areas while also still plenty good for the more rare unexpected situations. The set up would simply be this:

- A 30 cal for interior GMU's or higher elevations that usually have pretty open country with higher chances of longer range shots. These hunts for me have a lot more hiking involved so a lighter weight rifle is also better.
- A 375 cal for coastal GMU's or lower elevations where vegetation is usually thicker, shots are shorter range, and bears are larger. I might even say a 416 could take this role if all other rifle characteristics were the same and it would be fun to throw 400 gr pills. Rifle weight (or lack thereof) isn't very important.

Happy to hear other ideas and perspectives in this. And yes, I understand there's a good argument to make for one gun, a 30-06 for everything but I am still young enough to explore the other options before I settle on that smile

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Idmay375,
I agree with you about the versatilty of the 338 bore.

Back before the shortages, I bought a big pile of 225 grain fusions. At $18 a box, these bonded, thick jacketed sleepers were cheaper or as cheap as cup/cores from Sierra, Hornady and Speer.

The price was so reasonable, I sent a bunch of them out the barrel to get aquanted with the little 338 RCM rifle. Mostly 300 and 400 yd targets with winds. They bucked the winds very well, and the same bullets are my primary load for winter caribou. Shoulder was good for 50 rounds a session.

At 500 yds, I did miss the target once or twice per 5 rounds.
Combo of only using a 2.5x fx-ll ultralight scope with course crosshairs, light gun with short barrel, gusts of wind that I didn't judge properly.

The open sights are sighted to the 275 grain A-frames.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I’ve killed close to 100 blacktails with a .375, from 5 to 300 yards, using 300gr partitions and the old Hornady RNs of the same weight. It tears them up less than any .270 or ‘06 load I’ve used.

I have no idea why some people do not understand this !
Very well said! Thank you .

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by 907brass
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I’ve killed close to 100 blacktails with a .375, from 5 to 300 yards, using 300gr partitions and the old Hornady RNs of the same weight. It tears them up less than any .270 or ‘06 load I’ve used.

This has been my experience as well. (Although not on nearly as many deer)
My buddy hunts with a .338wm on admiralty and I've seen that tear volleyball sized holes in those little blacktail.

With the 338 , it depends on what bullet is used. I've killed a Lot of deer with the 338 Winchester. I've killed 6 or more with the 300 gr Barnes Original 49 k jacket at an avg 2500 fps mv. It doesn't tear up much meat and was amazingly accurate in my Ruger M77 mk 2, RSP and RP rifles.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by ldmay375
The 338 Winchester is certainly my idea of the one cartridge for all larger game. I do have a favorite rifle in 338 Winchester.

But, I have been using the stainless 20” barrel 375 and 416 Rugers for moose for the past several years. The maximum shooting distance / visibility in my normal hunting area is about 225 yds. Usual actual shooting distance is much closer. I have been using the 270 grain TSX in 375’s and 350 TSX in the 416’s.
No complaints with their performance. The tipped versions definitely maintain the velocity a bit better.

Lots of specialized rifles and cartridges for long / super-long distances and higher elevation hunting for others to discuss.

The lightest rifle / scope combinations that I have are Kimber Montana’s in 325 WSM and 338 Winchester.

Originally Posted by akmtnrunner
I've had a good amount of time while glassing this season to think again about the best hunting rifle setup for Alaska. I have been hunting with a 338 the last two years with the idea that it can be great everywhere but it has been occurring to me that as great as it is, it's not as 'perfect' as either of those in the below respective regions, and there's really no reason to limit myself to one great hunting rifle. The idea being that the rifle is great for the intended big game found in those areas while also still plenty good for the more rare unexpected situations. The set up would simply be this:

- A 30 cal for interior GMU's or higher elevations that usually have pretty open country with higher chances of longer range shots. These hunts for me have a lot more hiking involved so a lighter weight rifle is also better.
- A 375 cal for coastal GMU's or lower elevations where vegetation is usually thicker, shots are shorter range, and bears are larger. I might even say a 416 could take this role if all other rifle characteristics were the same and it would be fun to throw 400 gr pills. Rifle weight (or lack thereof) isn't very important.

Happy to hear other ideas and perspectives in this. And yes, I understand there's a good argument to make for one gun, a 30-06 for everything but I am still young enough to explore the other options before I settle on that smile

I have a Kimber Montana in 338 Winchester also. For some reason , I Really like that rifle. Possibly because it's so light. It currently has a 1 to 4 Vortex on it.
All I've killed with it so far is a nice meat bull bou last year. It did fine.
90 % of the bison hunters I talk to are shooting the 338 Win.
Lots of moose hunters also.
I know of dozens of wounded and lost brown bear in Southeast when shot with 30 calibers. To ever reccomend one.
The 338 has a Much better reputation. And it is not any more difficult to shoot than a 300 win mag.
If I could only have 1 rifle. It would be my 458. If only 2, my 458 Winchester and my 416 Remington. If only 3 , my 6.5 Creedmor would take the light gun spot. If only 4 then my 338 Win , Kimber would be added .
As I've never yet gone hungry when hunting with those 4 carts . And the 375s. I don't think I need to change .

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, Algotguns, Akhutr, 6 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 916 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,414
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.