Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Springfield seems to be clearly saying it's all US made.

You have to check criteria for "Made in USA" as it pertains to guns. I bet the standard is much lower then cars, for example.

Not much to debate. If a receiver/frame is greater than 80% complete it's a firearm and the ATF requires a serial number, manufacturer, and country of origin.

It's possible and maybe even likely that Springfield is outsourcing the forgings and a certain level of machine work, but if "Made in the USA" is on the firearm then most and the bulk of the important work was done here.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JOG

You have to check criteria for "Made in USA" as it pertains to guns. I bet the standard is much lower then cars, for example.

Not much to debate. If a receiver/frame is greater than 80% complete it's a firearm and the ATF requires a serial number, manufacturer, and country of origin.

It's possible and maybe even likely that Springfield is outsourcing the forgings and a certain level of machine work, but if "Made in the USA" is on the firearm then most and the bulk of the important work was done here.

Is "Made In The USA" on the gun?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why is it so hard to believe the gun is made in the USA?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JOG

Is "Made In The USA" on the gun?

Why would it matter much? Colt has, in the past, teamed up with Spanish and Italian outfits to put their name on guns they sold, Remington has sold Yugoslavian and Russian guns (so has Winchester, who are now selling Turkish and Portuguese and Japanese guns with the Wincheser logo on them). Browning's Hi Powers were never built in the US, yet we all like/love/respect them. What difference can it make?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Probably because of the reasonable price for an all-steel gun with good tolerances. I can understand a fair amount of speculation.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro

Probably because of the reasonable price for an all-steel gun with good tolerances. I can understand a fair amount of speculation.
I see a lot of speculation, but I have yet to see even the slightest bit of actual evidence its not made in the US. I'm willing to take it at face value until someone has some actual evidence to the contrary. I see this as a completely doable project in the US given the current state of manufacturing.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The price.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Why would it matter much?
Won't stop me from buying one. Like I said, I have and like my Tisas USGI 1911A1.
Colt has, in the past, teamed up with Spanish and Italian outfits to put their name on guns they sold, Remington has sold Yugoslavian and Russian guns (so has Winchester, who are now selling Turkish and Portuguese and Japanese guns with the Wincheser logo on them). Browning's Hi Powers were never built in the US, yet we all like/love/respect them. What difference can it make?

Fabrique Nationale in Belgium has a long and respected history of making guns for Browning, and for arming NATO nations. There's a world of difference in reputation and long history vs some factory in Turkey. Again, that doesn't mean I won't buy one if it turns out it's made in Turkey. I trust Springfield Armory not to put their name on a gun they don't have control over the quality of at all stages of production. But that's just me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Hah. You beat me to it.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have hope, but Springfield wore out too many "Made in Croatia" and "Made in Brazil" stamps for my 100% confidence.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JOG

I have hope, but Springfield wore out too many "Made in Croatia" and "Made in Brazil" stamps for my 100% confidence.

My feelings too. Use a historic American name to sell imported goods. If they're making the SA-35 here I might consider it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I see a lot of speculation, but I have yet to see even the slightest bit of actual evidence its not made in the US. I'm willing to take it at face value until someone has some actual evidence to the contrary. I see this as a completely doable project in the US given the current state of manufacturing.

Are there any other metal frame pistols being made in the US at that price point? I asked similar question above but no one offered a response.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
And now for something completely different:

Is this a "C - or T Series" gun, with new, external extractor, or a "late Mk II or Mk III" gun, with firing pin safety?

Hermann

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From the article in the original post:

"Also, like Springfield’s M1911 offerings, the new SA-35 features a traditional firing pin arrangement devoid of so-call Series 80 firing-pin safety components."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
From the article in the original post:

"Also, like Springfield’s M1911 offerings, the new SA-35 features a traditional firing pin arrangement devoid of so-call Series 80 firing-pin safety components."

So it's not drop safe?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The MK III modification to add a FP block was really quite brilliant. It doesn't affect the trigger pull at all. I would have stuck with it, it was a great design.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Arminius
And now for something completely different:

Is this a "C - or T Series" gun, with new, external extractor, or a "late Mk II or Mk III" gun, with firing pin safety?

Hermann
You can think of it as a post-1980 HP from the standpoint of parts interchangeability. The 1980 guns are very slight modifications of the "C" series, adding an updated feed ramp, and slightly different barrel bushing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hope they are successful enough to bring out an SS model and maybe alloy frame variants.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I hope they are successful enough to bring out an SS model and maybe alloy frame variants.

Inglis experimented with alloy framed models, but gave up after problems. Apparently the cross bar in the frame that receives most of the force impact during cycling would deform the alloy frame around it in short order, requiring periodic peening to make it a tight fit again.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
FN made several thousand LW HP's in the '70's and '80's for the Belgian police. The frame cam is much smaller and round rather than oval shaped. And the barrel cam is rounded like the original HP's. I had one for a while that I was going to build up into a carry gun, but then like a typical ADHD gun owner, found something else that was shinier and sold the LW HP.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 67 invisible), 2,545 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.