Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Before the Gold Cup was the national match by Colt. This one was made in 1967. I cut the hammer so I did not loose blood with bad hammer pinch. I really need those bobbed hammers.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I like how the rear sight is unobtrusive. Seems like they got big and bulky as time went on.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A commander hammer would look good on that colt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice gun!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I like how the rear sight is unobtrusive. Seems like they got big and bulky as time went on.

Sadly, though, those little Elliason sights often fall off. There's a roll pin in front, and it commonly breaks and the rear sight goes a-floppin'. The front sight isn't immune to that falling off, either.

I've had both happen on a '70 Series Gold Cup, and the bigger sights you dislike were used because they DON'T fall off on whatever whim the gun gods have come up with. The Bomar-styled sights used now are a lot sturdier than the old Elliasons, especially the way they're cut into the slide, they just don't get fupped duck like the old sights. BTDT, got the T-shirt, wore it out, and used it for a cleaning rag. BTW, those Elliasons are also used on Pythons ........................

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Thanks for the information. I've not owned or shot any of the old classics. So I didn't know. Watched a YouTube video by MrColt45acp. There's for sure some real care went into those guns.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Man, you guys posting up all these cool old 1911's are going to cost me some money..............great pistols Gents!

Trump Won!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Cool handgun!

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Terry,
See the one on Pennswoods this am?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raferman

This!

It'd look a lot like this Govt Model...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A guy can never have too many 1911's in 45 ACP.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
A guy can never have too many 1911's in 45 ACP.

While I agree with the sentiment to a degree, simply for the fact that the 1911 is such an excellent platform, I would have to disagree. My own thoughts are that I would rather have one "Just Right" 1911, than a half a dozen, kind of decent ones.

I know a lot of guys who have 6 or 8 + 1911s and they are all nice (the ones that run) but when we get discussing them in detail there is something on each they don't particularly care for. It might be the front strap checkering, the sights, an extended magwell, or the quality of the barrel.

Personally I would gladly trade all of them in on one that was exactly what I want, and was going to grab each and every time I opened the safe. Years ago I was sitting in my hooch overseas and contemplating just such a 1911. I figured after a series of events that had happened that life was short and that it was time to sell a couple of guns and acquire that 1911. So I did.

It really did not take a lot, since I prefer things pretty basic. I started with a Baer Premier 2 with the 1.5" 50 yard guarantee. That way I knew any poor shooting was me. Then I had a smith I knew did exceptional work customize it to suit my personal tastes. Long story short, it is the 1911 I grab most often and I would gladly have this one "Goldilocks" 1911, than a half a dozen pretty good ones.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Those grips are among the classiest I've ever seen.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
Those grips are among the classiest I've ever seen.

Herrett skip-lines, pretty common items back in the day. I strongly prefer them to today's "Punisher" grips on a lot of today's pistols. I don't know if they still make them or not, but I wouldn't mind picking up a few more sets. I had them on several pistols myself over the years. They were not too pricey, either. Downright reasonable, even. I like them myself, obviously, but they are "old school" , and the chuckleheads nowadays tend to look down on them (they have no taste).

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I agree with you guys about the grips.

They not only look good, but functionally speaking are the right combo of being smooth enough to carry under a shirt against the skin all day, and aggressive enough that when grabbed, you have good control of the pistol.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Raferman

This!

It'd look a lot like this Govt Model...

That is a fine looking setup all around.

Just plain cool.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Herrett skip-lines, pretty common items back in the day. I strongly prefer them to today's "Punisher" grips on a lot of today's pistols. I don't know if they still make them or not, but I wouldn't mind picking up a few more sets. I had them on several pistols myself over the years. They were not too pricey, either. Downright reasonable, even. I like them myself, obviously, but they are "old school" , and the chuckleheads nowadays tend to look down on them (they have no taste).

Did someone say Herrett's Skip Line 1911 Grips?

I love the old school look.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by GunGeek; 11/08/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,195
Posts18,503,558
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.