Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I picked up a Mauser 98 actioned rifle which has a Buehler-type safety ( located on right side. UP position to engage safety, DOWN position for fire).

It is very stiff when trying to engage the safety (lifting it UP). I would like to smooth out the engagement.

What is the preferred way to accomplish this? Do I put the bevel on the safety, or the bolt's/firing pin's cocking piece.
? What magnitude of angle (degrees) should be used?

I remember watching a "how to" video years ago by Larry Potterfield ( MidwayUSA) where he put a 40(?) degree angle on the cocking piece of a Mauser 98 ( fitting a Buehler or Timney style safety. I'm not 100% sure if "what I remembered was correct.". I can't seem to find that video anymore.

Input sought. Thanks in advance.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cocking pieces are readily available and cheap. Stone and polish the cocking piece.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Be careful what you wish for. You must also consider the effort to lower the safety to 'fire' position. If it becomes too easy smooth and quiet, carrying the rifle slinged on the shoulder, the right arm rubbing in the vicinity of the safety, clothing can ease the safety to fire position and you will never know it. Play around with it a little using a shoulder carry before you do much polishing or grinding. Also, keep in mind, metal removed from the safety engagement surfaces...moves the cocking piece forward...be sure you have a good air gap betwixt cocking piece and sear.I sure wish someone made an affordable shroud of the style found on the BRNO commercial 98's. It's unobtrusive, positive, located on the left side where your thumb naturally belongs. Dang near idiot proof.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The one problem with the Beuhler safety which is on the right-hand side, is that the bolt lock can be overridden by just lifting on the handle. This tendency is exacerbated by rounding of the edge of the cocking piece. Polish the ramp on the safety and, if it is not hard, harden it. My preference, for a right handed shooter, is to have the wing on the left and on the right for a left handed shooter. GD

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The one problem with the Beuhler safety which is on the right-hand side, is that the bolt lock can be overridden by just lifting on the handle. This tendency is exacerbated by rounding of the edge of the cocking piece. Polish the ramp on the safety and, if it is not hard, harden it. My preference, for a right handed shooter, is to have the wing on the left and on the right for a left handed shooter. GD

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Go with the side swing version and don't look back, I have three in stock ready to go

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
once upon a time I was trying to get a buehler safety to work , called buehler talked to Bob Ray , chastised me for touching the safety, only work on the cocking piece.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jkob
Go with the side swing version and don't look back, I have three in stock ready to go

PM to you

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always liked these safeties on the old FNs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I got rid of a beautiful Wards Westernfield (Heym) after carrying it on my shoulder hunting a couple times with the safety off. I had knocked it over somehow and didn't know it. Not worth it

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1234, 219 Wasp, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 56 invisible), 2,444 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.