Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
…the entire Bible is Jesus.
I see it differently. Some people deify the Bible, some people worship the Bible. I don’t.
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word is God.” John 1:1
The New Testament was written in Greek, and “Word” as used above is a translation of the Greek λόγος (logos), and is widely interpreted as referring to Jesus, as indicated in other verses later in the same chapter (verses 14-17). It is not synonymous with “the Bible.” It is a name or title for Jesus. The Greek logos means ‘the divine reason’ and is used to represent Jesus, who is the bridge between our inner spiritual needs and the answer proclaimed by the Gospel.

So the verse quoted above can be said, “In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus is God.”

You might be making too much sense again.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Matthew 7:2
New International Version
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
A couple of members here have consigned me to hell for my beliefs or lack thereof. They are pretty shrill about it. Does this mean I will have them for company?

I'm not the judge so I couldn't tell you. You do have some "interesting" interpretations of scripture though I'll give you that much.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
During the time between the resurrection of Jesus and the time that Constantine became the emperor of Rome, Christianity grew a lot and gained a lotta influence. Constantine reportedly didn’t embrace Christianity because he was all that interested in becoming a Christian personally. He embraced Christianity to unify the Roman Empire. The significance of that is staggering. He had to find something that most people in the empire had in common, and it wasn’t the Roman gods anymore. It was Christianity, the very faith that the empire had tried to eradicate and stamp out. And that was due to the significant spread of Christianity in its most difficult years.

Christianity made its greatest strides...when Christians faced tremendous hardship...during the nearly 300 years before the Bible ever even existed. Christianity grew from the time of Jesus to the time of Constantine not on the back of “the Bible says.” The Hebrew scriptures weren’t combined with the New Testament documents until about 350 years after Jesus’ birth. Before the OT and the NT were combined and titled ‘the Bible’, Christianity had already replaced the entire pantheon of Roman, Barbarian, and most Egyptian gods and was the state religion of the Roman Empire itself. Before anyone had ever held ‘the Bible’ in their hands. And it would be close to the invention of the printing press before anyone...unless they were a priest...ever held one in their hands.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd century Christians didn’t choose to follow Jesus because of an infallible OT or a non-contradicting NT; they didn’t choose to follow Jesus because of ‘the Bible’ that didn’t even exist yet. They were followers of Jesus because He rose from the dead. For the first 300 years, the focus was centered on an event, not on a book. The focus wasn’t “is the Bible true”...the focus was “did Jesus rise from the dead”...? And Matthew…who was an eyewitness…said He did, and documented it separately; and so did Mark, who spent time with Peter and got Peter’s eyewitness account, and documented it separately; and so did John…who was an eyewitness… and documented separately an account of Jesus’ life; Peter was an eyewitness and knew Jesus rose from the dead, and later on wrote letters separately to the churches to say so; and James…who was one of the earliest witnesses of his brother’s resurrection and became one of the pillars of the church…said so; Luke came along a little later later, and thoroughly investigated these events and talked to as many eyewitnesses as possible, and put together a separate account; and then a fire-breathing Pharisee named Paul, who was was gonna put the Jesus movement out of business, met the resurrected Jesus and knew He rose from the dead, and he became a raving fan and dedicated his life to taking the Gospel of Jesus to the Gentiles all over the Roman world, and he wrote about it separately.

There’s no explanation for the success of the church if Jesus hadn’t risen from the dead. The success of the early church was not due to the Bible…there was no ‘the Bible’ at this time. The success of the church was totally due to eyewitness accounts of Jesus’ Resurrection. Fortunately those who were closest to the event, those who were eyewitnesses of the event, documented it. But they didn’t document what they believed, they documented what they saw. The focus, to me, isn’t the Bible; the focus is, and always has been, Jesus. Christianity didn’t disrupt the Roman Empire because of the Bible; Christianity disrupted the Roman Empire because of a resurrected Savior.

Christ quoted the Bible. Paul quoted the Bible. Peter quoted the Bible. They all were intimately familiar with the word of God, which was written down in the form of the Old testament - The Bible at that time.

Just because the New Testament was canonized later does not make the fact that the written Holy Scripture was not essential to God's revelation. He, God, used written revelation.

Paul said: "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness," 2 Tim 3:16, OBVIOUSLY, He, Paul,had a written scripture. So OBVIOUSLY Jesus also had written Scripture - The Bible.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by renegade50

Wow, I don't think we have that one on the Bookmobile.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Dude,

too soon???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OldHat
Faith? Faith in what?
Gal 1:8 "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed."
Doesn't Paul sound like a nut case in your quote? He's saying no matter who contradicts him, "let him be accursed". No wonder Jesus in Revelation 2:2 praised the Ephesians for getting rid of Paul. Read Paul thoroughly and compare his doctrine to Jesus. You will see.

There is no mismatch between Paul and Christ's teaching.

Christ did not reject Paul.

Last edited by OldHat; 10/27/21.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I still wanna know will you send me the Smarties?

In it is contentment

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
So the verse quoted above can be said, “In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus is God.”

No sht sherlock. The point is that the writer used the word logos, which means a "divine utterance", both written and spoken to tell us that Christ and His words as recorded in the Bible are divine. Otherwise the author would have just used the word Christ.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad

If ya really want some
I can walk around the neighbor hood on the 1st

Thats if Baylor dont scarf em up off the road 1st.

LOL!!!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This has been a good night on the ol' 'fire, all disputes settled within the Marque of Queensbury Rules. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by Valsdad

If ya really want some
I can walk around the neighbor hood on the 1st

Thats if Baylor dont scarf em up off the road 1st.

LOL!!!

Don't send any you yank out of his germ filled mouth, OK?

We got enough dog spit around this place to last forever!

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus, Peter, and Paul sometimes referred to the Hebrew Scriptures…which is not ‘the Bible’…when they were talking to Jews because it’s what they (the Jews) knew at the time. It’s the information they had been given.

Paul differed his approach depending upon who his audience was. Talking with Greeks in Philippi or Corinth required a different line of discourse than talking with Jews. He clearly said, “To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.” Adjusting his approach was a good idea.

Paul took the gospel of Jesus as Messiah to the Greek speaking world of his day...and it likely wasn’t an easy undertaking. They were educated in Greek philosophy and literature...and they had their own opinions about their traditions and their gods. Paul used the ideas and philosophy of thinkers like Aristotle, Plato, and Socrates...and intellectuals of their day like Seneca...to his advantage, to help these people better understand his teachings of the Gospel. It’s very likely they would have understood the ideas and metaphors he was using, as they would’ve been very familiar with them.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fireball2
This video is geared towards believers. Unbelievers can (and do) do anything they want. There are no rules.
As a believer, can anyone name something Godly about halloween?

Or Valentine's Day, or Ground Hog Day, or a birthday, or President's Day. What is the problem that a Christian would have unless you're into witchcraft or Satan worship? For the record, I do not participate in Halloween.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Faith? Faith in what?
Gal 1:8 "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed."
Doesn't Paul sound like a nut case in your quote? He's saying no matter who contradicts him, "let him be accursed". No wonder Jesus in Revelation 2:2 praised the Ephesians for getting rid of Paul. Read Paul thoroughly and compare his doctrine to Jesus. You will see.

There is no mismatch between Paul and Christ's teaching.

Christ did not reject Paul.

Hat, are you buying candy for the kiddies on Halloween, or not ?

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No sht sherlock. The point is that the writer used the word logos, which means a "divine utterance", both written and spoken to tell us that Christ and His words as recorded in the Bible are divine. Otherwise the author would have just used the word Christ.
…the entire Bible is Jesus.
The point is that the writer was not saying, “In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible is God.”

And the point is that the writer was also referencing the pre-existent second person of the Trinity.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 26 of 38 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 37 38

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,815
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.