Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Guys,

Wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this in so because I want the cam for deer hunting, I'm putting it here.

Anyway, I need to buy a trail cam this week to put out next weekend, for whitetail hunting. I don't want one with lots of bells and whistles, mainly just dependable performance with short trigger time. It will be in an area that is not all that secure (theft isn't out of the question) so I don't want to spend a lot, preferably under $100. Anyone been in the market for these lately and bought something they like that would fit my criteria? Maybe something off Amazon?

Thanks in advance for the input!

GB1

C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I've had my best luck with Moultrie and Browning. Simple to use and the most reliable that I have used.

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought some relatively cheap Bushnell Prime L20s to place on WIHA where theft isn't out of the question. So far I've been impressed with their picture quality. They're cheap enough ($69 bucks) that if they did get stolen, not the end of the world.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/20MP-Prime-L20-Tan-Low-Glow-Box

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought during the off season and saved quite a bit.
https://www.trailcampro.com/products/browning-dark-ops-max-plus-1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
TactaCam Reveal - my best cameras in the field for clarity and most reliable.

Avoid the Spypoint Link or Link Micros - battery pigs, s-l-o-w triggers, and very short range at night, with a lot of blurring.

I was a Spypoint fan until I tried their cellular line.

Last edited by AH64guy; 10/26/21.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used several brands and I find that in general Browning seem to work best. I have also used moultrie with success. Like everything else, the different models of each brand make a difference. Also, fresh, new high quality batteries can make a difference, especially in night time pictures.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had good luck with my Bushnells. One of them even survived a bear either chewing it or clawing it several years ago and it still works.
I don't own one of these but they got great reviews and looks like a great price.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020771780?pid=770050

Last edited by River_Ridge; 10/26/21. Reason: More wisdom added

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Crusader
Guys,

Wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this in so because I want the cam for deer hunting, I'm putting it here.

Anyway, I need to buy a trail cam this week to put out next weekend, for whitetail hunting. I don't want one with lots of bells and whistles, mainly just dependable performance with short trigger time. It will be in an area that is not all that secure (theft isn't out of the question) so I don't want to spend a lot, preferably under $100. Anyone been in the market for these lately and bought something they like that would fit my criteria? Maybe something off Amazon?

Thanks in advance for the input!

I also try to keep mine about $100 or less. We hunt public land so I don't really want to strap $200 to a tree at each spot. I really like the pictures that the Browning cams take. I would say the Primos are a close 2nd. Until this past week I'd not had trouble with any Browning cam I have. But I went into the woods to swap cards and the battery pack was laying on the ground and there were no pics on the cam. The Browning's we use have a "battery clip/magazine" that slide into the bottom of the unit with an "eject" button to release it. This one apparently doesn't work very well. The other 3 are great. The batteries ( 8AA ) have lasted over 1 year to this point.

The Primos has been trouble free but is a bit slow to take the pic. The more expensive ones are faster.

We have 2 Wildgame cams left as well. Both work without flaws. They're not as fast at taking a pic as Browning so you will get some heads or butts only on some tight passing pics. Batteries have lasted about 1 year in them as well.

Primos is very easy to use and was the main draw when I bought it. It's mostly just toggle switches. Browning's are a bit more user friendly than the Wildgame. But, neither are hard to use.

Last edited by tzone; 10/26/21.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Camofire is yo friend.

😉

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Primos no longer makes trail cameras. For what you describe, Covert MP16. You can get them for under $100 and they have a two year warranty. I've had a few for several years. Not as fast as my Brownings, but they take decent pics, are reliable and won't break the bank.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Guys, thanks for all the recommendations. We have very poor cellular service at our farm and in some places, none, so those types of units are a no-go. Anyway, I decided to go the super cheap, easy route. We have a Walmart two miles from where I live, so I went there and bought two of their $30 Tasco units. They have generally pretty decent reviews on Amazon and WM and the simple features they offer are all that I need at this point. Will set them out this weekend and give them a try. If they're no good, can always return them to WM. Will post back in a few weeks and report on how they turn out. Thanks again for the input. Good luck hunting!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a couple of the Tasso for just the situation you describe. Their not a good as the higher end browning or bushnell but take decent enough pictures to give you a good ideal of the game in the area. I think you will be satisfied

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I simple, no frills camera?

Last year i got a couple of the Muddy Pro Hunter ( i think that’s the model) 12 mp to try.

$30 from Academy.

I was skeptical.

They work!

Take good pics. Reliable. Uses AA batteries.

This years model is a 14mp. Doubt I’ll tell the difference.

Still $30.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm generally not a fan of Tasco, but I'd agree, I've heard many say their cheap cams are a value at their price point and do what they are intended.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I had the bright idea to put all my cams in the same tree pointed at the same feeder to compare. They all stink. Browning generally less so.

Cheapskates I know use Tasco and are satisfied.

Last edited by urbaneruralite; 10/30/21.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
M
MOW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Everyone can make fun of me, but I got tired of spending $79-$129 for trail cams and 2-3 years later they stopped working (all named brand). So I bought the cheap $28.95 Tasco (9 of them) ~2 years ago at Walmart. Picture quality is good enough for me to tell is it a buck and how big, and day and time. Not sure about video, never tried it. 2 years later, only 1 has gone bad. They are not the best, but they do everything I need them to do, at a very cheap price.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wal-Mart trail cameras from 28 bucks for basic tasco camera , 38 bucks to 70 bucks, wild game brand.
I got 2 tascos in Sept and they are good cameras for the price. Nice pictures. Got a 38 bucks wildgsne, also nice camera.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 1minute, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,348
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.