Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Pretty proud prices for an unknown, unproven brand.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Never owned one but I know people that do and no complaints ever. They are priced from the 400's to low 1k. I would like a 1inch tube 42mm objective for my 257 Wby.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Saw one for $1500... that's dang near Nightforce money.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I thought I read somewhere that the guys who founded GPO were originally from the same folks that made Zeiss or Meopta and that they were using similar specs to zeiss in terms of glass quality and popular features. Someone on here may know more. But if the price were right, I would take a chance on the lower end stuff. Looking forward to what Doug at Camera Land could work out for "holiday specials".

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

The "brand" didn't just show up yesterday. Five full years in a highly-competitive market is nothing to sneeze at.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I thought I read somewhere that the guys who founded GPO were originally from the same folks that made Zeiss or Meopta and that they were using similar specs to zeiss in terms of glass quality and popular features. Someone on here may know more. But if the price were right, I would take a chance on the lower end stuff. Looking forward to what Doug at Camera Land could work out for "holiday specials".

The 2 head guys at GPO are the Ex-President of Zeiss USA and an Ex top player at Swarovski. As a member here every day you call us is a holiday so give a call to discuss what you're looking for

Originally Posted by BobbyTomek

The "brand" didn't just show up yesterday. Five full years in a highly-competitive market is nothing to sneeze at.

Exactly Bobby

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

99% of sportsman have never heard of them, including people on this forum.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Theyve popped up in the magazines and videos but arent marketed as strongly as other brands IMHO.

Youd think Vortex was the best thing since sliced bread if you went by amount of marketing.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
They may well be great optics. But you do have to admit that, given where they're made, a name like German Precision Optics does have an Orewellian doublespeak quality to it. At the very least, it's reminiscent of a vehicle, real estate, or infomercial salesman saying whatever they can to get you to buy. Clearly it's a marketing schtick. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with Swaro in the past, so it's probably for the best that they're likely peddling similar Asiatic designs and componentry as many other brands that have a reputation for toughness.

So many optics companies these days spew the same hackneyed assertions of how their products are diametrically different than other brands that rolled out of the same factory because of higher QC, or engineering, or specs, etc, etc, etc. I find it difficult to believe that these optics factories are actually manufacturing that many different sets of erector parts, tubes, and lenses. There'd be no economy of scale, which would defeat the purpose of having your scopes mass produced offshore in the first place.

I'd like to see someone get their shipment of scopes off the slow boat from China and openly market them as such.You could come up with a ton of pithy slogans to make your brand memorable. Something like "Chicom Optics - We know you'd rather not, but likely will anyway".

Maybe such honesty would resonate with buyers.

Last edited by Starbuck; 11/02/21.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
They sell Osprey at the gunshows LOL

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Y'all are worse then women arguing about shoes, 'cept I kinda care about this subject

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Starbuck
They may well be great optics. But you do have to admit that, given where they're made, a name like German Precision Optics does have an Orewellian doublespeak quality to it. At the very least, it's reminiscent of a vehicle, real estate, or infomercial salesman saying whatever they can to get you to buy. Clearly it's a marketing schtick. Personally, I haven't had the best luck with Swaro in the past, so it's probably for the best that they're likely peddling similar Asiatic designs and componentry as many other brands that have a reputation for toughness.

So many optics companies these days spew the same hackneyed assertions of how their products are diametrically different than other brands that rolled out of the same factory because of higher QC, or engineering, or specs, etc, etc, etc. I find it difficult to believe that these optics factories are actually manufacturing that many different sets of erector parts, tubes, and lenses. There'd be no economy of scale, which would defeat the purpose of having your scopes mass produced offshore in the first place.

I'd like to see someone get their shipment of scopes off the slow boat from China and openly market them as such.You could come up with a ton of pithy slogans to make your brand memorable. Something like "Chicom Optics - We know you'd rather not, but likely will anyway".

Scopes are designed either in Germany or the US and get manufactured in Japan or China according to specs given to OEM suppliers. What exactly is dishonest about that?

link to what they do

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 11/02/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

99% of sportsman have never heard of them, including people on this forum.

I never heard of Tract scopes until they were talked about here.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Scopes are designed either in Germany or the US and get manufactured in Japan or China according to specs given to OEM suppliers. What exactly is dishonest about that?

link to what they do

It's not technically dishonest. And as far as I know, they're not trying to hide the coo. But it is at least a little deliberately misleading that a company named German Precision Optics offers only Asiatic product. German Inspired Optics might be more appropriate.

As far as each optics brand independently "engineering" or "designing" or "specifying" completely disparate components from their competitors, I highly doubt that is how it goes. There just isn't enough volume for each brand to spec completely different componentry than other units made in the same factories. You get to pick the name that's roll stamped or printed on it and the CS that brand offers. But, if people want to believe that thier optics were engineered by former special forces members from Montana who are now hunting guides with PHd's in various optics related fields and are, therefore, completely different and much better than another brand that rolled off the same production lines, more power to them.

Last edited by Starbuck; 11/02/21.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

link to what they do

Why would designed here, but built there be a selling point? Why would I care about what desk the engineer was sitting at? China is all about quantity over quality. That's not even debatable.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If I have to buy Asian, I would rather buy from a country that is an ally of ours, not someone who wants to overpower us.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
China is about making money

Tighter tolerances and better materials just adds cost.

They will build whatever you want.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I don't have any GPO rifle scopes but I do have their 8x50 RF bino's I bought from Doug and am impressed. This is from a guy who has had Zeiss, Leica, and Sig Sauer. Dollar for dollar they are a great value.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just a couple of comments about GPO. They are not all China junk. All the ones I have seen have been Phillipine.

It is a bit misleading that their name is German Precision Optics. It can confuse those who just buy a name. When I first saw one at a LGS, I asked the young salesman where they are made. He looked at me like I was the dumbest person on earth and said,"Germany." I said I highly doubt that and I asked to see it, flipped it over and it clearly stated "Made in the Phillipines." I told him he ought to know a more about products he sells. I bought one a few weeks later just to try. I have been impressed. It is not up to Swarovski standards though.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Just a couple of comments about GPO. They are not all China junk. All the ones I have seen have been Phillipine.

It is a bit misleading that their name is German Precision Optics. It can confuse those who just buy a name. When I first saw one at a LGS, I asked the young salesman where they are made. He looked at me like I was the dumbest person on earth and said,"Germany." I said I highly doubt that and I asked to see it, flipped it over and it clearly stated "Made in the Phillipines." I told him he ought to know a more about products he sells. I bought one a few weeks later just to try. I have been impressed. It is not up to Swarovski standards though.

They make or made some models in Japan as well.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.