Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Or similar that’s worth a fuggk? I’ve got enough long range mil reticles for 3 people but my wife’s 260 (she doesn’t play sniper and just kills stuff) with my first Vari-x II might be done. I’m swapping scopes to check it. If I have to send it in I won’t get it back in time for rifle deer. Everything seems to have a huge area of 10-15moa before the heavy duplex starts. Evidently everybody is a sniper and hunts in ideal light during mid day? I might just buy a Chinese illuminated reticle scope.

Bubba usually kills a deer at under 100 yards so I’m not sure why all the skinny useless reticles.

Fuggk I’m on a roll tonight. Might even break down and buy a MOA reticle scope from China.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The firedot duplex in Leupold’s VXR is fairly bold, if you can find one. The Accurange circle-duplex in the Redfield Revolution shows up pretty well in lower light also. A used 6x42 Leupold in heavy duplex is a winner for medium range and dim conditions.

Now with even more aplomb
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Run a Want to Buy in the Classifieds for a Bushnell Firefly. They show up there time to time. Luminous reticle but you really don’t need it. The tri-plex reticle is plenty. They came in 1.5-4x32, 2-7x32and 3-9x40.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260madman
I might just buy a Chinese illuminated reticle scope.

Fuggk I’m on a roll tonight. Might even break down and buy a MOA reticle scope from China.

Is this a threat?

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
There's some Leupold on ebay right now. The last generation of heavy duplex from Leupold is probably a little thicker than what you have now. I think the world has moved on to illumination.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Originally Posted by 260madman
I might just buy a Chinese illuminated reticle scope.

Is this a threat?

The way things look it may be a promise. I don’t want to but it may happen.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a bunch of Leupold scopes with the standard Duplex reticle, but when I couldn't see it one year gunning a deer at absolute first light under heavy over cast under an evergreen canopy, I told myself that I wanted a Heavy Duplex 1.5-5 Leupold on my M99F. Holy smokes, there is no losing that reticle in heavy brush or low light and it is it ever easy to get the full fov in that little Leupold with its huge exit pupil. That 99F is my walking around rifle and inside a hundred yards or so it is a great hunting scope. Too much of a good thing though trying to target shoot. A few years back and I saw deer at a couple hundred yards moving through a mature pine plantation and didn't shoot because that heavy Duplex wasn't fine enough for a more precise shot. Ever since the battery in my old lighted Bushnell varmint scope corroded, I've had no use for a lighted reticle.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve never had any heavy duplex, G4, or even G1 be ‘too heavy’ for making a ‘precise shot’ in a hunting situation under 350 yards, the reticle thickness is most likely NOT the culprit….but that’s just my experience with using heavy reticles…..it’s like thinking tiny groups can’t be shot without fine reticles and high magnification. Shooter and range are the first limitations, not the sight apparatus if you can see it….and seeing it in low light cures anything a finer reticle would, in better light.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Try looking through a Bushnell Nitro with the standard duplex...it appears to be a heavier duplex than many of the recent duplex variations.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Have never liked the heavy duplex. Liked the reg and fine versions for a long while, with preference for the fine.

Now at about 60, i like the reg duplex better LOL

Still no likey the heavy.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by shootem
Run a Want to Buy in the Classifieds for a Bushnell Firefly. They show up there time to time. Luminous reticle but you really don’t need it. The tri-plex reticle is plenty. They came in 1.5-4x32, 2-7x32and 3-9x40.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

The 2X7 is an excellent deep wood/brush scope where it is thick enough to get dark much earlier than open woods.

And at 7 power, if you check on a bore sighter grid, the 2nd increase in the triplex reticle is 8 inches below the cross hair center and the 3rd is 24 inches which equates about right for 300 and 400 yards for the average 150 grain .308 load sighted in at 200 yards.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by wink_man
Originally Posted by shootem

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

The 2X7 is an excellent deep wood/brush scope where it is thick enough to get dark much earlier than open woods.

And at 7 power, if you check on a bore sighter grid, the 2nd increase in the triplex reticle is 8 inches below the cross hair center and the 3rd is 24 inches which equates about right for 300 and 400 yards for the average 150 grain .308 load sighted in at 200 yards.

I'm not quite following you here. Eight inches of drop at 300 for a 200 zero would be about right, but at what distance is the reference for the 8" space in the reticle?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The 2X7 is an excellent deep wood/brush scope where it is thick enough to get dark much earlier than open woods

We’ve had these on my and my wife’s 7mm08, son’s .260 and a .50 muzzle loader for years. Oh, and a 1.5-4 on a 44 Deerfield. Seem to hold zero well.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by mathman

I'm not quite following you here. Eight inches of drop at 300 for a 200 zero would be about right, but at what distance is the reference for the 8" space in the reticle?

The grid pattern on a Bushnell Bore Sighter is for 100 yards. Each square on the bore sighter grid measures 4 inches by 4 inches at 100 yards. Put the scope up to 7 power and center the crosshair on the grid and the top of the 2nd increase in the triplex reticle is at the bottom of the 2nd square which is 8 inches, so you can use the top of the 2nd increase in the reticle as your aiming point at 300 yards.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

The grid pattern on a Bushnell Bore Sighter is for 100 yards. Each square on the bore sighter grid measures 4 inches by 4 inches at 100 yards. Put the scope up to 7 power and center the crosshair on the grid and the top of the 2nd increase in the triplex reticle is at the bottom of the 2nd square which is 8 inches.

Than that's too much. If you're zeroed at 200 then the drop at 300 will be about 8" so your holdover point will need to show about 2.7" at 100.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ironsight, Inc., might be able to install their #1 reticle in a Leupold. That reticle is so heavy that it probably adds a full ounce of weight to any scope that it is installed on.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The 2-7 and 3-9 3200s suffer on eye relief….or those I had did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The grid pattern on a Bushnell Bore Sighter is for 100 yards. Each square on the bore sighter grid measures 4 inches by 4 inches at 100 yards. Put the scope up to 7 power and center the crosshair on the grid and the top of the 2nd increase in the triplex reticle is at the bottom of the 2nd square which is 8 inches, so you can use the top of the 2nd increase in the reticle as your aiming point at 300 yards.

Are you referring to this Bushnell grid?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use a lot of 6x42 leupies and have never had a problem picking up the duplex reticles with them. Even in north slope dark timber.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

381 members (1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,445
Posts18,528,740
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.