Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I doubt it was the brass.

MM

Unless it was a range pickup of commercial federal brass, i.e. what you find in American Eagle ammo. That stuff is way to soft, so I could see that being the root cause.

By no means am I the senior hand loader here. But the only brass I’ve had issues with has been Federal; .270 Win and 7mm RM. Some of each, once fired, had primer pockets that wouldn’t hold a primer. On the other hand I’ve loaded Federal 9mm and .40 with no issues. But it’s be hard to get me too go with Federal on rifle ammo again.

Soft brass, such as to allow primer pockets to expand is sure as hell not going to cause a failure like that.

That is high pressure & the brass would have had to have had numerous firings on it to have weakened to that level.

If an AR bolt is even a little out of battery, the FP cannot reach the primer, so I really doubt that the gun fired out of battery either.

Too much powder is far & away the most likely culprit, but as in most post mortems like this, we'll never really know, so pick your theory & stick to it.

MM

I wonder about his powder measure consistency. He's running a progressive, so I don't know if you can check every case before it gets a bullet seated? Another reason I use a single stage. I always look in the case, just as a double check to CYA... I was going to suggest him pulling the others apart and check to see how consistent his cases are getting charged... I'd do it, just to know for sure..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Don’t recall and I already threw it away. It was mixed range brass.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by David_Walter
So, finally got the unit apart, and it was a case head separation.

[Linked Image]

That is not a case head separation. That separated IN the casehead, not where the casehead joins the case body.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

292 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 163bc, 10Glocks, 308ld, 10gaugemag, 33 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,214
Posts18,503,943
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.