Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Thanks guys. I was prioritizing distance over diameter. However, I have lots of 155 Scenars loaded for the 308, and will use those.

The 308 is my favorite cartridge, and elk are my favorite game. You could load up 500 rounds with 155 Scenars, and have a lifetime supply for any NA hunting IMO.

Best wishes David, hope you’re well.

You are ph ucking nuts... any NA hunting?? Pass me a 375 H&H and 300gr TSX please

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Thanks guys. I was prioritizing distance over diameter. However, I have lots of 155 Scenars loaded for the 308, and will use those.

The 308 is my favorite cartridge, and elk are my favorite game. You could load up 500 rounds with 155 Scenars, and have a lifetime supply for any NA hunting IMO.

You are ph ucking nuts... any NA hunting?? Pass me a 375 H&H and 300gr TSX please

[Linked Image]

Bear aren’t that hard to kill in fact…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have some TSX loaded, but have hundreds of 155 Scenars, the better to practice with.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Brad. I’m well and trust you are doing well from your posts.

This is sound advise. I should have just started there.

Open sage got me thinking long range.

The 243AI is perfect for deer here, but probably not elk.

Be well, DW.

John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 79S

You been watching too many episodes of best of the west.. go take some your Uncle Sam bucks and go buy a 6.5 prc. Better yet go buy a 270 Winchester shoot some 145 eld-x. 🥰

I guess a .308 with 155 Scenars is not enough to kill cleanly kill elk huh...

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by specneeds
I love elk burgers & prefer that I can take shots at bad angles & through bone at 300 yards if that fills the freezer. I don’t want to count on broadside opportunities at less than 400 with lots of room.

Shooting marginal calibers at elk doesn’t make much sense to me but my main goal is to kill & eat them not brag about shooting them with some small cartridge.

I understand some young guys are recoil shy with their super light rifles - add a muzzle brake a recoil reducer in the stock or a heavier rifle that allows you to shoot a little higher energy cartridge - your full freezer will thank you. For folks with physical disabilities who need to limit recoil exercise discipline.

A .308 is a marginal caliber for an elk?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Surely I wouldn't turn down an go at that rug if'n all I owned was a 308win. I'd still be in the game. 308 is actually a favorite of mine and I believe the 338 Federal is even better but 308win has the edge on economy and availability so it's somewhat better. It truly is outstanding.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
David.

The 155 Scenar from a .308 is a well established elk killer, and accuracy is well known. When I have any doubt, I grab my Tikka .308 and 155 Scenars.

MS

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by 79S

You been watching too many episodes of best of the west.. go take some your Uncle Sam bucks and go buy a 6.5 prc. Better yet go buy a 270 Winchester shoot some 145 eld-x. 🥰

I guess a .308 with 155 Scenars is not enough to kill cleanly kill elk huh...

Calm down delta force.. please don’t post a picture of my house and threaten to sneak in and cut my throat.. the point is he’s factoring the bc of the bullet to make best of the west 700yd shots. I’m not questioning if the 308 is marginal, it’s a great round for elk. But will say better choices when it comes to Bullets with a higher bc and the 145gr eld-x has a much higher bc than the 155 scenar. The 143gr eld-x 6.5 has a bc of .643. So if he’s wanting a Bullet with a high bc get a different chambering that allows you to shoot a higher bc bullet. I can think of better .308 Bullets with a higher bc. 178gr eld-x is one. If he needs some I will send him some. Hell I have over 100 308 loaded with 185 juggernauts I send him. Loaded in lapua brass. Loads been used out to a 1000yds in a f class 308.

Last edited by 79S; 10/31/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Bear aren’t that hard to kill in fact…

Oh ok... I didn’t know you had a basement full of kodiak bear rugs my bad.....

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There’s two guys posting on here who’ve killed a metric [bleep]-ton of elk with a 308. Big bulls too, I tend to believe that if they say it’s fine, that it is.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave I can send you some ready to go I just want my brass back. 185 juggernauts.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by specneeds
I love elk burgers & prefer that I can take shots at bad angles & through bone at 300 yards if that fills the freezer. I don’t want to count on broadside opportunities at less than 400 with lots of room.

Shooting marginal calibers at elk doesn’t make much sense to me but my main goal is to kill & eat them not brag about shooting them with some small cartridge.

I understand some young guys are recoil shy with their super light rifles - add a muzzle brake a recoil reducer in the stock or a heavier rifle that allows you to shoot a little higher energy cartridge - your full freezer will thank you. For folks with physical disabilities who need to limit recoil exercise discipline.

A .308 is a marginal caliber for an elk?

+1. I have killed, or seen killed first hand, more than a few elk, deer, and antelope killed by .308’s, 300 WSM’s, 300 Win’s, and even the 6.5 Creedmoor. Good shot placement is the ultimate equalizer. To tell the truth, while butchering a bunch of antelope shot with 30-06’s, a 300 WSM, a 257 Weatherby, and 6.5 Creedmoor, I had a hard time telling what was shot with what. Except, the 257 Weatherby…that was messy.

Saying a .308 anything isn’t enough for elk is pretty funny.

Last edited by BravoFoxtrot; 10/31/21.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
John,

Thanks for the offer but elk season is through next Sunday. I send out for the opener, with all the other thousands on public land, and saw only people.

I’m headed back out this Wednesday and Thursday, likely with the 155
Scenar load.

John Stark.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
308 and 155 scenar bullets will kill lots of schit....

Out of your 2 options listed the 308 is the better choice.

Good luck on your hunt

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I don’t really give a flip about others opinions, mine included sometimes, but a 243 (AI or not) would be the last thing I’d carry elk hunting. I’m assuming we’re talking about a bull elk hunt? Way too many things can go not exactly perfect when the trigger is pulled.

I sorta agree, but would you stay home and give up your tag if that was what you had and it shot well?

A lot elk got 30-30’ed, 300 Savage, 250 Savage, etc back when that’s all a hunter had. I agree maybe there’s better but if you can do the work it probably won’t be the gun that lets you down.

Not arguing a bit but I always ask myself if I had to, I could and I’d just make sure my shots were good angles or as best as I could do. Just like I do with bigger guns as well but I don’t sweat angles quite as much with the bigger, heavier cartridges.

Semper Fi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brian litz tested the 155 scenar (old one) and he got a G1 BC of .459.

https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp...ng-of-the-Lapua-308-155-grain-Scenar.pdf

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’ve seen to many elk killed with the .243 to say it’s not “enough”.

“Elk hunt” can mean a bunch of different things. If a person asks me if a 243 is enough for elk, I’m going to say absolutely.

If the the same person asked me if I’d use a .243 working thick North slopes or that country the PNW Mafia hunts, I’d say hell no.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In my opinion where I hunt the 308 is a marginal caliber for elk - average shot distance is a little over 300 yards and the canyons that lead to private are steep & shots at animals within 200 yards of the boundary are common so we need to hit & stop elk at 3-400 yards and I’ve seen them travel quite a ways with bullets through both lungs.

But you can kill elk all day long with a 308 inside 400 yards & sometimes stop them in their tracks - I like the extra horsepower for elk. You never know when you are lucky enough to have to anchor a 750 lb bull that already has some adrenaline going.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
John,

Thanks for the offer but elk season is through next Sunday. I send out for the opener, with all the other thousands on public land, and saw only people.

I’m headed back out this Wednesday and Thursday, likely with the 155
Scenar load.

Hope you find one.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.