Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Luis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Any one using the new vortex Fury? Are they any good?

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Following as well. Would love to see a comparison between them and bushnells range finding Binos. Following…….

SLAP
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Just bought a Vortex Fury 10 x 42 a month or so ago. So far I am very impressed with the glass. I sold my older Leica Geovid BRF-Y binos, in favor of the newer Fury. Optical quality between the two is so close as to be non-discernable, at least by my eyes. Weight of the Fury is a few ounces less, and the laser options, including elevation adjustment, are far better than anything the Leica had. Plus, the Vortex has a lifetime warranty on everything, including the electronics, that the Leica did not have. So far, I am very happy with my purchase, and I think the Fury will be a real winner for Vortex.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
L
Luis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Bighorn, thanks for the information. I was looking at the Leica BRF but I have heard bad stuff about their reliability and Leica CS. Thanks for the input.

Code Pink sucks

SUPPORT THE TROOPS
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Having owned the Fury 5000HD/AB, and currently the Geovid 3200......FWIW:

Optics--Geovid and it isn't even close
Build Quality--Geovid, and it isn't even close
Customer Service--my Leica CS experience turned out OK, but Vortex wins by a wide margin
Ranging Ability--Can't tell a difference in ranging between the two
Ballistic Interface--Vortex has all the readouts Leica does, and more. Vortex will give ballistic readouts including windage and elevation at any distance it can range. Leica only gives elevation out to 1000. The Vortex app is way better, user friendly, etc, and the Leica app is not even close. This is one area that Leica really needs to improve on.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
JG Not to question what you said as I have not looked thru either, just a question. "Optics--Geovid and it isn't even close" I know everyone's eyes are different, so could it just be they looked better to you, or are the Vortex just that bad?
Thanks

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wouldn't say the Vortex are bad by any means. I'd put them in the average category, like the Viper HD's. The Sig3000 BDX is the same. The Geovid's are on par with my SLC's as best as I can tell. The Fury is very serviceable, and will get the job done, but that's about it IMO.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the info.
I bought a pair of Zen Ray 10x40 somethings years ago and they (to my eyes) were as good as my buddies EL's. For bino use, I would not want to down grade from that but would like a good pair of range finding bino's without breaking the bank.
I have a Zeiss rangefinder now and it is kind of a pain to go back and forth between the bino's and rangefinder while hunting.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have the Fury 5000 HDs and really like them. The Leicas will have better glass, but the Vortexes are still really good. They just aren't alpha glass good. That said, I don't think it would make any discernible difference for my glassing needs to move up to alpha glass. I can see well enough through the Vortexes before it is legal shooting light or after legal shooting light where I hunt in Texas that getting an extra 3 minutes isn't going to make a shot for me. I would say that the Fury 5000 HDs are probably the best value to performance of all the range-finding binos out there.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
After reading this, I might have to get the fury to try out myself!

SLAP
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Vortex has the most used warranty in sport optics

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve wanted a combination since they started making them but my SLC’s give me an advantage over lesser Binoculars like the vipers & the little Leica RF is good & fast & on a tether so I don’t drop & lose it.

The cost to get the whole package just hasn’t appeared worthwhile since I have a budget for fun stuff.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Every time I read: "$$ optic was just as good as $$$$ optic", my 1st thought is, "When was the last time you had your eyes examined?" My next thought is, "Are you looking through Polycarbonate lenses, the shyttiest material you can put in front of your eyes?".

Basically, if you say you can't see the difference between say $250-$500 glass and Alpha glass, it's most likely because you can't see very well to begin with.

A pard bought the Fury's 2-3yrs ago. They're optically on-par with $250-$400 binocs.

Last edited by horse1; 10/31/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Every time I read: "$$ optic was just as good as $$$$ optic", my 1st thought is, "When was the last time you had your eyes examined?" My next thought is, "Are you looking through Polycarbonate lenses, the shyttiest material you can put in front of your eyes?".

Basically, if you say you can't see the difference between say $250-$500 glass and Alpha glass, it's most likely because you can't see very well to begin with.

A pard bought the Fury's 2-3yrs ago. They're optically on-par with $250-$400 binocs.

How do you know your "pard" doesn't need his eyes checked? 😁

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I also think a lot of those reviews are from looking at mounts at Sportsman's Whorehouse with brand new clean glass or maybe one sunny afternoon on the hill.
Alpha glass has never really been much "clearer" than average glass to me, until dirt and grime gets on the lenses, you're staring through them for hours at a time and dim light comes into play.

Individual eyes are a factor too but I think a lot of folks giving "nearly equal" reviews haven't spent much field time with alpha glass.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Agreed, a lot of glass looks “just as good” with just a quick comparison, the differences start to shake out after looking through them all day.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
[Individual eyes are a factor too but I think a lot of folks giving "nearly equal" reviews haven't spent much field time with alpha glass.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider

How do you know your "pard" doesn't need his eyes checked? 😁

I don't know if he needs an eye exam. But I'm corrected to 20/15 and I've owned 2 Leica's, 3 Zeiss, and 1 Swaro bino/LRF combos since '04. I looked through his Vortex over a weekend of shooting and I figured about 25% of the price is optics, another 25% is the electronics, and 50% covers the warrantee.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was just messin' around horse, because I actually agree with you. The gap narrows significantly though when you get to the $1000 stuff as compared to the "alphas". I've owned loads of glass, and still have some "alphas", as well as several of the $1000 glass.

As far as bino/rf units, the Fury as compared to the Leica 3200's isn't even in the same stratosphere and probably shouldn't be based on what they cost.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I was just messin' around horse, because I actually agree with you. The gap narrows significantly though when you get to the $1000 stuff as compared to the "alphas". I've owned loads of glass, and still have some "alphas", as well as several of the $1000 glass.

As far as bino/rf units, the Fury as compared to the Leica 3200's isn't even in the same stratosphere and probably shouldn't be based on what they cost.

When I’m hunting to fill a tag, my primary is a Swaro EL-Range 8x42 and 15x56 SLC HD’s.

Day-in Day-Out I have Meopta 10x42’s in the door-pocket of my truck 100% of the time and Meopta 8x32’s in the glove-box of my work car. The Meoptas get WAY more actual use than either Swaro.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 22250rem, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 204guy, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,085
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.