Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
GALCO Stow-N-Go Suede IWB Holster Mod.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

These holsters can be found in the wild for ~ $30, and are hands down the thinnest, lightest, most comfortable IWB/3:30 holster out there.

The clip has a fore and aft 3/8" hook, with rebates for them in the pocket that holds the clip stem, and a 3/4" space between them that spans the stem, so the clip clamps tight against the belt.

The only drawback is - it has a 0° cant on the clip... which results in a 90° "mailbox flag" pistol grip that not only prints, but also makes it hard to get out, because it is buried into the belt.

So - I clipped off the aft hook (w/ a pair of dikes), and then trimmed off the end of the clip where it was located, so that it wouldn't leave a raised tab above the rebate to snag on anything.

The result - is that the holster/pistol can now be pivoted forward on the single fore hook, up to ~ 30°, or until the top front of the clip contacts the belt.

... and it stays put pretty well, b/c of the friction of the clip/suede/belt/trousers, and that the center mass of the pistol is now forward as well.

It will also nestle into your particular body contour and go invisible.

Because the remaining rebated fore hook is located near the slide top radius at the belt, it acts more like a snap ring loop than a hook, as it always positively engages the belt whenever the holster is pulled up.

And because the pistol grip is tipped up and away from the belt, it is very easy to "grip-n-rip," w/o the need for adjustment once it is out.

A Scoop Draw - is slick and fast.

GR

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That looks like nice inexpensive and comfortable to carry holster.

Here is mine which I used to carry between belt and pants (IBC). It is empty now, but I suspect soon it will be filled with another plastic-framed clunker pistol.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slavek
That looks like nice inexpensive and comfortable to carry holster.

Here is mine which I used to carry between belt and pants (IBC). It is empty now, but I suspect soon it will be filled with another plastic-framed clunker pistol.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Used to run it like this:

But, w/ activity, the aft hook would always pull it back to 0° cant.

Not any more.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A man can modify about anything to suit his needs. I've done similar as what you've done. Anymore I buy a big piece of 5-6 oz leather and make what I want. A little sewing & wet molding is pretty easy. Make many holsters and other items cheap.

Romans 5:1
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey
A man can modify about anything to suit his needs. I've done similar as what you've done. Anymore I buy a big piece of 5-6 oz leather and make what I want. A little sewing & wet molding is pretty easy. Make many holsters and other items cheap.

My labor opportunity cost - would quickly exceed the acquisition price.

8>)

The mod took about five minutes.

GR

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
High Noon makes similar, more comfortable holsters (and more expensive). They are better because the clips are much stronger and they aren't suede, they're rough side out leather. They also don't have the funky squared-off opening.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get a TXC & you won't have to worry about modifying it & the gun will be held much more securely besides.

And carry appendix style, too.

MM

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UPhiker
High Noon makes similar, more comfortable holsters (and more expensive). They are better because the clips are much stronger and they aren't suede, they're rough side out leather. They also don't have the funky squared-off opening.

Well...

The Galcos have tanned leather inside.

The squared-off opening - is a flat-wire support, so that it doesn't collapse for holstering.

The clip - even w/ only the single hook, appears to be plenty strong and 100% reliable.

As for Comfort - don't see how anything would improve on thin suede holster over a slab-sided pistol.

W/ cover garment - Scoop Draw times are ~ 1.5 seconds w/ the Glock G36, which facilitates a 3 second/3 shot draw from concealed.

GR

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

56 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 725 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.