Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
J4Me Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I'm always impressed by the knowledge on the campfire so, once again, I come here seeking wisdom!

Given the current economic circumstances, what would you do in this scenario. In our 60's. I'm retired (medical)/wife still working (good job with good Bennie's). She plans to work five more years. House paid for. No debt.

Almost all our money is invested in stocks, mutual funds, etc. House is small, one car garage. It's our starter house, bought in '84.

I'm thinking we should pull out some of the money we have invested and put it towards more house and maybe a little land. When inflation gets REALLY bad and the economy TANKS I'd rather have house and land vs. devalued cash. We could get double the house we currently own and still have a nice nest egg of several hundred $. Maybe it would be better to take out a loan? Thoughts?

Last edited by J4Me; 11/02/21.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
With low interest rates on mortgages, you'd be better off leaving your money in investments that give you a return higher than your mortgage.
If your investment is big enough use the interest earnings to pay your monthly house payment, that way you don't touch the principal, and maybe you still have a little interest left each month for growth.
If things go south, you can always use your investments then, but for now, let it work for you.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A tax guy can tell you if using your investment earnings to pay the mortgage can be balanced against the income tax hit versus the home deduction, if any.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Personally, I am a huge fan of any hard commodities you can own and ride upward with inflation. Especially stuff you know. (i.e. If I was a trailer builder and had stockpiled a massive amount of steel and parts before steel when stupid... I would be looking brilliant about now. But I am not a trailer builder).

Personally I see real estate as overly inflated. People are mortgaged to the hilt. Owning outright is a HUGE WIN. SUPER SMART FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE. Especially a modest home.

Investments... (Theoretically if a man invested $200k in Exxon 5 weeks ago... that risk would be $245k today.). But half of the world plays that investment game so be extremely careful.

In short, there are no good answers.

Last edited by CashisKing; 11/02/21.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by J4Me
I'm always impressed by the knowledge on the campfire so, once again, I come here seeking wisdom!

Given the current economic circumstances, what would you do in this scenario. In our 60's. I'm retired (medical)/wife still working (good job with good Bennie's). She plans to work five more years. House paid for. No debt.

Almost all our money is invested in stocks, mutual funds, etc. House is small, one car garage. It's our starter house, bought in '84.

I'm thinking we should pull out some of the money we have invested and put it towards more house and maybe a little land. When inflation gets REALLY bad and the economy TANKS I'd rather have house and land vs. devalued cash. We could get double the house we currently own and still have a nice nest egg of several hundred $. Maybe it would be better to take out a loan? Thoughts?

I’m a little confused. You say your money is invested in mutual funds, but then you say you’re afraid of devaluing cash.... unless your mutual funds are bond funds, you don’t really have cash. Stocks only go one way over the long term: up. Short term it may have some Maalox moments, but it always goes up in the long term.

That said, the bottom line is that a house does not produce income, while investments produce income. To answer the question if you can afford more house you simply have to answer the question: if I exchange investments for house, does that jeopardize my future living standard.

How you go about financing the upgrade doesn’t really matter. Either way, you have to pay for it. Not selling investments and getting a mortgage is really no more than pretending you didn’t really spend the money, and simply trades risk for returns. if I had no mortgage and money, I couldn’t see myself signing up for another one. It may technically (on paper, on average) be the better play, but the price in peace of mind is too high for me.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Put a chunk of it in specie.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you're wanting a new house, I would lean more towards a modern "smaller" ranch house built to your specifications (rather than a larger house) to keep you both happy and comfortable for the next chapter in your life and maybe buy more property rather than more house.......Just my opinion.....

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...I'm thinking we should pull out some of the money we have invested and put it towards more house and maybe a little land...Thoughts?

This would be such an unwise move bordering on plain foolishness.

The house you've been in for 36 years has been fine, up to now, and is paid for. Surely you don't suddenly need debt and a house twice as big.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
IDouble post

Last edited by 06hunter59; 11/02/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
...I'm thinking we should pull out some of the money we have invested and put it towards more house and maybe a little land...Thoughts?

The house you've been in for 36 years has been fine, up to now, and is paid for. Surely you don't suddenly need debt and a house twice as big.

I'd agree, why go into debt?

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 30338
Originally Posted by pal

I'd agree, why go into debt?

Fixed rate debt wouldn't be a bad move at the dawn of a hyperinflation. Variable interest rate debt would be disastrous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He did say a little more land. Nothing wrong w having room for a big garden, enough room to grow a calf to butcher, a few chickens

He’s retired, a guy has to have something to get up & do everyday.

For those not raised on a farm this probably has very little appeal

But for a guy like me it smells like heaven & cow chit & chicken chit, of course

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
You’re retired due to medical problems, yet you want more land and house to take care of? Knock yourself out I guess.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by jbmi
With low interest rates on mortgages, you'd be better off leaving your money in investments that give you a return higher than your mortgage.
If your investment is big enough use the interest earnings to pay your monthly house payment, that way you don't touch the principal, and maybe you still have a little interest left each month for growth.
If things go south, you can always use your investments then, but for now, let it work for you.

First response nailed it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I see a couple of things.

Like Gregintenn mentioned, you retired due to medical reasons, are you able today and going forward able to take care of acreage?
Chainsaw, polesaw, tractor work, lawn mowers, controlled burns, fencing projects and a host of other things.

With regards to financing, I'm a fan of fixed low interest debt on assets like real estate.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WRPape
...First response nailed it.

First post stated: House paid for. So, no, first response didn't nail it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
If he buys a new house he should leave the investments alone and take out a mortgage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hold your cash, wait for the next crash. Current environment for real estate (at least around here) is hugely over-valued. Basic starter homes are going for $250 per sq. ft. 1 ac lots in County subdivisions are going for $100K+

Or............just enjoy your success, your savings, your investments, your paid off home, etc. and go fishing.

There is also that chance that a new home, won't feel like home. Especially after being in your current one for nearly 40 years....

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Every choice has a risk / reward tradeoff.

Investment counselors will advise diversity and caution.

I am personally brave in the stock market, but fearful of the work involved in new real estate projects.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Personally, I am a huge fan of any hard commodities you can own and ride upward with inflation. Especially stuff you know. (i.e. If I was a trailer builder and had stockpiled a massive amount of steel and parts before steel when stupid... I would be looking brilliant about now. But I am not a trailer builder).

Personally I see real estate as overly inflated. People are mortgaged to the hilt. Owning outright is a HUGE WIN. SUPER SMART FOR YOU AND YOUR WIFE. Especially a modest home.

Investments... (Theoretically if a man invested $200k in Exxon 5 weeks ago... that risk would be $245k today.). But half of the world plays that investment game so be extremely careful.

In short, there are no good answers.

So... Cash is not king? confused smile

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,382
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.