Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Need to help my 90 year old Mother get some hearing aids; anybody else evaluated the offerings out there? Here CostCo is a pretty good option?
Thanks

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Costco for anybody who isn't in the VA system, yes. Very good techs and testing, good brands, and excellent service/warranty. Add in the prices and Costco is impossible to beat.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Costco and stop looking

And Rocky can set his highball down, he will say the same.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Do you need to be a Costco member to use their hearing aid service ?
My 92 yr old mother is in need of them as well.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You have to be a member to shop there, but they sometimes offer 30-day "test drive" memberships at no cost, I think. Membership would be a tiny price, considering the thousands you'll save on the hearing aids.

Besides, the roasted chickens and merino socks are killer.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Pay Costo's membership and still be WAY ahead on the price. They have deep discounts compared to anyone else. They sell quality stuff and their service is bar none.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Costco

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Recently got the Costco Philips brand rechargeables and they are good, for a dreadful object. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up until recently, Costco was far and away the best option. Other online businesses are coming into their own as we speak and the fda just announced they will allow the sale of some hearing aids without medical requirements. It's a very dynamic situation to say the least.

I have friends who used costco and are really happy and a guy at work who just went through this - ended up ordering from nano hearing aids online and is also very happy.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm going to re-asses my recommendation. For a 90-year-old, getting full prescription hearing aids may not be a practical solution, unless you have someone who would benefit from them in only a few years. They now sell "generic" hearing aids that are roughly analogous to drug-store reading glasses. They're priced at or under a thousand dollars a pair.

If you have someone else for whom the aids could be re-programmed and re-fit, the full deal ones might make sense. Otherwise, OTC models set to amplify the upper end of the speech range might be more practical.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Her biggest problem is carrying on a conversation in an atmosphere, like community dining room; with a lot of background noise. So; just amplification without some filtering, may not help that problem?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Costco make u wear a mask up in that jernt

That alone is not worth saving $2,000

fugg them

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tag

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cruiser, that'll still be a problem even with prescripto hearing aids. It is for me, and many other wearers. Mine have a "restaurant" setting that cuts out the rear mics so they hear what I'm facing better, but the background noise is still confusing and distracting. Often, I just turn them way down or take them out.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Geno67
Up until recently, Costco was far and away the best option. Other online businesses are coming into their own as we speak and the fda just announced they will allow the sale of some hearing aids without medical requirements. It's a very dynamic situation to say the least.

I have friends who used costco and are really happy and a guy at work who just went through this - ended up ordering from nano hearing aids online and is also very happy.

What's the FDA got to with hearing aids? I was able to buy my hearing aids at Costco without meeting any medical requirements other than a hearing test. How did your friend that got his hearing aids online get his hearing tested and what's he going to do when he has problems? With Costco you can usually just walk up the counter, tell them what your problem and they quickly resolve it.

V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Cruiser, that'll still be a problem even with prescripto hearing aids. It is for me, and many other wearers. Mine have a "restaurant" setting that cuts out the rear mics so they hear what I'm facing better, but the background noise is still confusing and distracting. Often, I just turn them way down or take them out.

I don't think they'll ever be able to fix that problem because I had the same problem before I needed hearing aids. I get a noise filter setting on mine sometimes that works pretty good inside noisy places and while driving on the highway, it kills that diesel drone.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Geno67

How do you do a hearing test online? Costco gives you one and programs them accordingly. It determines which frequencies you're missing and amplifies freqs close to the missing ones to help fill in dead spots. Aids that are nothing more than amplifiers will give you a lot of unwanted noise when you should be hearing something.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The better "generic" ones are pre-tuned to where most people's hearing loss is. By looooong experience, that's somewhere near 3000 Hz. Audiologists call it the 3k notch because when you draw a curve of a person's hearing response, there's a dip right there. That does not suit everybody, but most people have that notch in the curve. It's a bit like making drugstore reading glasses with a 2.0 diopter - a whole damn lot of people match that "prescription."

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Her biggest problem is carrying on a conversation in an atmosphere, like community dining room; with a lot of background noise. So; just amplification without some filtering, may not help that problem?

Trust me, it will not solve that problem.
I’ve worn hearing aids for nine years. They help my hearing a lot. However, in a room with lots of back ground and multiple people talking they do not help, and in some cases, they hinder.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for all the advice

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,234
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.