A
Never loaded belted magnum, research turned up this item

belted magnum resize die

Any input appreciated

There is a war on America and America is losing
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Resize as if the belt is not there. After shooting virgin brass, neck size only. After the second firing, be ready to bump the shoulder back for a snug fit in the chamber. Just use the shoulder, not the belt to index the brass in this manner.

I like Wilson adjustable gauges to quickly check brass fitment. I use 2x fired brass to set the gauge. Not a must have, but very handy to see what your brass is doing.

You can get them cheaper from various vendors besides Wilson.

https://lewilson.com/adjustable-case-gage

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Looks like a useful tool.

To size and get maximum case life, I use a Redding body die and a Lee neck collet die.

Also, on the first firing , neck up the case a bit then size down to create a false shoulder, then fire form.

As the case head spaces on the belt, and is only required to be fired once , it tends to be sloppy , have seen 0.008" slop at the belt, that is why the false shoulder to prevent the initial stretch,

After many cycles you will probably experience increasingly harder bolt closure and a bit of a 'click' when doing that. This requires a trip through a full length size die, then the false shoulder then fire form.

As others generally ignore the belt and head space of shoulder until it becomes an issue.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Totally unnecessary! Don't waste your money on it!

The description on his website is not accurate, i.e. false. A regular full length sizing die (or body die) will size cases all the way to the belt. When setting up your full length sizing die, adjust it to bump the shoulder back about .002" so the cases headspace off the shoulder, not the belt.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Tell that to the FL die I was using for a 257 Wby. I was loading for.

I was able to manage a workaround but that collet die would have been mighty handy.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TwoCup

The description on his website is not accurate, i.e. false. A regular full length sizing die (or body die) will size cases all the way to the belt. When setting up your full length sizing die, adjust it to bump the shoulder back about .002" so the cases headspace off the shoulder, not the belt.

Good post^^ That's all I've ever done and have never had a single issue. I load for 7mm rem mag, 300wm, 308 Norma magnum, 300 WBY mag, 338wm, and 375H&H. I guess I've just been really lucky. Having loaded thousands of magnums without that collet die. I generally only load my magnum cases about 8 or so times though. Most of what you hear about the belted magnums is hype. There's no difference in reloading them vs standard cartridges. No difference in how they feed into your rifle either. Unless you have a piss poor rifle. All of mine feed belted magnums into the chamber effortlessly. Also, for the OP: If you aren't shooting benchrest competitions, don't neck size like some here suggest. More than likely you are going to use it as a hunting rifle. Just bump the shoulder back .002-.003" and you are golden. You gain nothing by neck sizing, but could lose reliability and function, which is what you absolutely don't need on a hunt. Just buy a regular ol RCBS fl die set and adjust it to bump the shoulder back. Bingo, you are done. What cartridge are you going to be loading for?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd only been loading belted magnums for twenty five years before I ran into the situation where the collet die would have been nice to have.

BTW, it was a regular old RCBS die set.

Last edited by mathman; 11/04/21.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by arky65

belted magnum resize die

Any input appreciated

I have one. Don’t use it much, but it works.

Sorta expensive but with brass sometimes hard to find, beats chunking it.

DF

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What about a case such as the 300h&h? Not much shoulder there. Seems headspacing off the belt is the best solution here?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Even so I'd say sizing just enough for smooth chambering is the way to go.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good post^^ That's all I've ever done and have never had a single issue. I load for 7mm rem mag, 300wm, 308 Norma magnum, 300 WBY mag, 338wm, and 375H&H. I guess I've just been really lucky. Having loaded thousands of magnums without that collet die. I generally only load my magnum cases about 8 or so times though. Most of what you hear about the belted magnums is hype. There's no difference in reloading them vs standard cartridges. No difference in how they feed into your rifle either. Unless you have a piss poor rifle. All of mine feed belted magnums into the chamber effortlessly. Also, for the OP: If you aren't shooting benchrest competitions, don't neck size like some here suggest. More than likely you are going to use it as a hunting rifle. Just bump the shoulder back .002-.003" and you are golden. You gain nothing by neck sizing, but could lose reliability and function, which is what you absolutely don't need on a hunt. Just buy a regular ol RCBS fl die set and adjust it to bump the shoulder back. Bingo, you are done. What cartridge are you going to be loading for?

I have a 300Win mag target rifle and fully sorted and prepped brass last > of 20 cycles, not inclined to pitch the brass early as a lot of work went into them, something you can't buy.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I had some 7 Mag brass from a Savage that I was going to use in a Tikka. It was sized using a body die and a neck sizing die but it wouldn't fit because the chamber of the Savage was larger above the belt. I used the Willis collet die and was able to return that area to a size that fit in the Tikka. For brass that is fired in one rifle and re-sized for that rifle, I haven't had a need for the collet die.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It can happen with only one rifle involved.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by arky65

belted magnum resize die

Any input appreciated

I have one. Don’t use it much, but it works.

Sorta expensive but with brass sometimes hard to find, beats chunking it.

DF

Same deal here. Only needed it a few times but when I did nothing else would work. Well, a custom set of of dies may have worked but the collet works easy enough for those rare cases.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Yep. I did buy one years ago...never had to use it because I set my my FL dies to HS off the shoulder. I am too OVD to use neck sized brass for hunting, ha, never did that either. Its a good idea and IF I still had a 257 WBY I would use it, they bulged too much for my FL die, but I traded sold the rifle to my friend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ky221
What about a case such as the 300h&h? Not much shoulder there. Seems headspacing off the belt is the best solution here?

The shoulder isn't much but it's there. You still will get separations if you insist on moving the shoulder more than a couple thou.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
A
arky65 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for all the input.

There is a war on America and America is losing
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have been shooting the 7 Rem Mag since 1978, never used collet belted mag sizer...never. I bought one when they first came out, never used it, sold it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why buy it if you didn't need it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, I hear about cases where it is needed. I would buy one ONLY if it is needed. Directed to the OP only.

I have / do load for 4 different belted magnums and have never needed one. I am up to about the 5th or 6th firing of the same Nosler brass (have to look at my records) for one of my .257 Weatherby magnums and have not had a need for that die.

A false shoulder will save life on the initial brass stretch, but I never bothered because I did not know about the technique when I started out. I don't think it mattered a whole lot since I am getting good life out of the brass. It is definitely a worthwhile step to learn though. I found out about it from Big Stick.

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 11/04/21.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.