Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Mad
Campfire Ranger
I'm surprised Roberts was as aggressive as he was.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So, three on our side, what about the other six?

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm always amazed that a lawyer can change the meaning of something as simple as the second amendment. It is the right of the people. All arms are covered, and you can't infringe upon the right. If any of that is changed, the law is unconstitutional, whether or not you agree with it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Sounds great

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Red meat but I reckon we be screwed anyway...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
My old boss lived in Queens, he had to fill out a firearms form every year and tell NYC what guns he had, why head them and had to pay a yearly fee for each one! I hope NYC loses big time and has to return all those fees!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by benchman
I'm always amazed that a lawyer can change the meaning of something as simple as the second amendment. It is the right of the people. All arms are covered, and you can't infringe upon the right. If any of that is changed, the law is unconstitutional, whether or not you agree with it.

I think one of the big problems in all this is that the Founders did not have the same mindset as we all have in regards as to what "militia" meant. Both sides in all this can take the Founders' own words and give it different interpretations. Mind you, before I go on, I want to say that I believe whole-heartedly that the 2A confers an individual right. I'm with you guys on this.

The problem here is that folks back then had a natural assumption. The militia was the body of folk who could be mustered for common defense, and they included those who kept their own arms. Furthermore, it was an expectation that individuals would self-organize for their common defense. Therefore, the individual right and the collective right was all one thing. The big issue back then was that the British were quite fond of using confiscation of arms as a way of limiting a groups means of opposing their control and quelling local trouble. At the start of the Revolution, we see this happening in famous incidents at Williamsburg, New York, Philadelphia and all up and down the Eastern Seaboard. This was also at the heart of what drove the Over Mountain guys up Kings Mountain and got Ferguson killed. Ferguson was no big deal to the Over Mountain group until he declared a confiscation of their arms. Heck, the British-led colonial governments were doing this clear up to the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya.

Here we are 200+ years later trying to parse what a militia is. Is it an individual right to own a firearm? Is it the right of a state to organize a militia? The answer is yes, damnit! It's this and whole bunch of other things. Our Founders believed in an armed populace being the foundation of Freedom and the greatest protection against future tyranny.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by shaman

I think one of the big problems in all this is that the Founders did not have the same mindset as we all have in regards as to what "militia" meant. Both sides in all this can take the Founders' own words and give it different interpretations. Mind you, before I go on, I want to say that I believe whole-heartedly that the 2A confers an individual right. I'm with you guys on this.

The problem here is that folks back then had a natural assumption. The militia was the body of folk who could be mustered for common defense, and they included those who kept their own arms. Furthermore, it was an expectation that individuals would self-organize for their common defense. Therefore, the individual right and the collective right was all one thing. The big issue back then was that the British were quite fond of using confiscation of arms as a way of limiting a groups means of opposing their control and quelling local trouble. At the start of the Revolution, we see this happening in famous incidents at Williamsburg, New York, Philadelphia and all up and down the Eastern Seaboard. This was also at the heart of what drove the Over Mountain guys up Kings Mountain and got Ferguson killed. Ferguson was no big deal to the Over Mountain group until he declared a confiscation of their arms. Heck, the British-led colonial governments were doing this clear up to the Mau Mau rebellion in Kenya.

Here we are 200+ years later trying to parse what a militia is. Is it an individual right to own a firearm? Is it the right of a state to organize a militia? The answer is yes, damnit! It's this and whole bunch of other things. Our Founders believed in an armed populace being the foundation of Freedom and the greatest protection against future tyranny.

The right is the right of "the people", not the right of "the militia". End of story. Granted, some people may form a militia at any time, but the right is stated to be the right of "the people ".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The right is the right of "the people", not the right of "the militia". End of story. Granted, some people may form a militia at any time, but the right is stated to be the right of "the people ".

You and I are in agreement. The problem is folks in our century try to parse things that shouldn't be parsed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This shows promise to effectively derail the Left's "current" arguments to taking away our guns.
Their whole argument is that guns kill people, while those of us that live in the"real" world and not the "perceived" world understand that criminals kill people not the guns themselves. Until the root cause "criminals" are effectively delt with by means of a harsher more punitive legal system; ie more actual executions instead of this revolving door of a "justice system" that is currently in place, taking away the spa treatments in prison and making jail time an absolute miserable experience instead of a stint at "camp snoopy", the problem of murder and violent crime will only increase. Most all criminals are cowards to a large degree and the current laxidasical system of punishment only caters to their fear instead of reinforcing it. If more criminals were delt with harshly then the crime will naturally diminish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Brett is a freaking Democrat pretending to be a republican with republican ideas.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have a listen at the 47 minute mark...

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
from what little I've heard from the arguments, it sounds like SCOTUS will shoot down the law in terms of the state determining the justification of why you need to be allowed to carry a firearm

at the same time, they are saying there are places that no one should be allowed to carry a gun. Where they are getting hung up is the idea that 3am on the subway versus 3pm on the subway. They recognize the need to be able to defend yourself but don't trust the gun owner to use the weapon with discretion especially in regards to crowded areas

Also heard you shouldn't expect a decision on this until sometime next year.

At the moment it sounds like Scotus will determine that people should be allowed to carry but allow the city to create no gun zones.

but that is just me guessing on 20 minutes of reading

Last edited by KFWA; 11/05/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All well & good, but that's just foreplay & I don't want a case of the blue balls, so I'll celebrate when we get a positive decision.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Still to this day we are all in debt to Antonin Scalia for the 2nd Amendment being thought of the way it's being thought of today.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by brownpapabear
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Brett is a freaking Democrat pretending to be a republican with republican ideas.

No he's libertarian, which is better than being either a Dem or Republican.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by KFWA
from what little I've heard from the arguments, it sounds like SCOTUS will shoot down the law in terms of the state determining the justification of why you need to be allowed to carry a firearm

at the same time, they are saying there are places that no one should be allowed to carry a gun. Where they are getting hung up is the idea that 3am on the subway versus 3pm on the subway. They recognize the need to be able to defend yourself but don't trust the gun owner to use the weapon with discretion especially in regards to crowded areas

Also heard you shouldn't expect a decision on this until sometime next year.

At the moment it sounds like Scotus will determine that people should be allowed to carry but allow the city to create no gun zones.

but that is just me guessing on 20 minutes of reading

Yes.
The determination of what constitutes a "sensitive place" will be pushed to another case at a later date.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sako76
My old boss lived in Queens, he had to fill out a firearms form every year and tell NYC what guns he had, why head them and had to pay a yearly fee for each one! I hope NYC loses big time and has to return all those fees!

Essentially renting his firearms from the .gov.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Robert’s is incorrect to say the constitution “gives” us a right. Absolutely not true.

The constitution merely enumerates the rights. The rights themselves are inherent.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,561 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,504
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.