Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve an itch for a light’ish 7-08. All stainless is preferred. 22” barrel, max. Would like to be 7.25ish lbs with scope mounted. I’m leaning toward a used, 90’s era 700 and put it in a good stock. Have also been shopping new but outside of Tikka, not much is floating my boat on the new market. I have one Tikka, and shot several. I like them, but hoping to find a true short action. I like the Winchester EW, but thinking I’d end up a bit heavier than my target.

Not too concerned with shooting this rifle past 500 yards so heavy bullets and twist rates are not a big factor. It would be nice to get a 140 to the lands and keep it in the mag box though.

Suggestions?

Last edited by drano 25; 11/05/21.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Save yourself some time and just buy this one. You could do far worse for your stated desires.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16585312/1

OTW, EW will be tough to get to your desired weight without replacing the stock. Kimber or fieldcraft will get you there with ease if you could find one.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
IF you can find a 6 lug Weatherby MK V Stainless Carbine; buy it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd get a Tikka or 700 in stainless and cut to the desired length. 21" is not a bad place to be.

That Wby above is rather nice as well, but you don't see many.

Now with even more aplomb
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by drano 25
I’ve an itch for a light’ish 7-08. All stainless is preferred. 22” barrel, max. Would like to be 7.25ish lbs with scope mounted. I’m leaning toward a used, 90’s era 700 and put it in a good stock. Have also been shopping new but outside of Tikka, not much is floating my boat on the new market. I have one Tikka, and shot several. I like them, but hoping to find a true short action. I like the Winchester EW, but thinking I’d end up a bit heavier than my target.

Not too concerned with shooting this rifle past 500 yards so heavy bullets and twist rates are not a big factor. It would be nice to get a 140 to the lands and keep it in the mag box though.

Suggestions?

Why the need for a "true short action"? I'd get the Tikka. Hands down the best option out there and you know its going to be a shooter.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Save yourself some time and just buy this one. You could do far worse for your stated desires.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16585312/1

OTW, EW will be tough to get to your desired weight without replacing the stock. Kimber or fieldcraft will get you there with ease if you could find one.

That’s a nice rifle, and well under my weight goal, which is good I suppose. It just seems a chunk to pay while sacrificing stainless in both action and barrel.

I think EW would be challenging on the weight, even with a new stock. According to Stocky’s, the average weight of the Bell & Carlson stock the EW weighs is 28 oz. If you assume 1 lb for scope and mounts, which is maybe/probably a sacrifice in itself, that would put me at 7lbs 12 oz. So, I’d be shopping for a 20 oz stock Model 70 stock to get to desired weight. Maybe not impossible, but difficult and probably expensive.

I haven’t seen a Montana or a Fieldcraft in 7-08 in a coon’s age it seems. I could get excited over a Fieldcraft….probably not so much for a Montana.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Why the need for a "true short action"? I'd get the Tikka. Hands down the best option out there and you know its going to be a shooter.

No legit argument that it is a need, but then, I don’t really need the rifle either. Just my preference. Agree that odds are very high that the Tikka would shoot. My 6.5x55 certainly does.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
IF you can find a 6 lug Weatherby MK V Stainless Carbine; buy it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve never seen one of these, but It looks great. A guy might find a Fieldcraft for sale before one of these though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

No legit argument that it is a need, but then, I don’t really need the rifle either. Just my preference. Agree that odds are very high that the Tikka would shoot. My 6.5x55 certainly does.

Just curious. Some think accuracy is better, some believe 1/2" shorter bolt throw helps. I'm thinking you may notice that if you are a midget, or pappa smurf, who knows? If Tikka is out of the question, I'd go with a Winchester featherweight or Extreme weather. Those may tip your scale over the 7 1/4 pound mark though... Like you said in your op. The only way to get it close would be to put it in a Mcmillan compact edge or similar lightweight stock. Even then, you are looking at 7.5-7 3/4 pounds.. Your thoughts on a rem 700 are valid and weight will be less. I wouldn't go that route myself, having had problems with Rem 700 rifles in the past. There's other options like the NULA's, and Kimbers too, but they are quite a bit more money than a Tikka.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Browning xbolt stainless stalker, 24 inch barrel but is very light, greta balance, and shoots lights out

guns to me are like legal crack
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Just curious. Some think accuracy is better, some believe 1/2" shorter bolt throw helps. I'm thinking you may notice that if you are a midget, or pappa smurf, who knows? If Tikka is out of the question, I'd go with a Winchester featherweight or Extreme weather. Those may tip your scale over the 7 1/4 pound mark though... Like you said in your op. The only way to get it close would be to put it in a Mcmillan compact edge or similar lightweight stock. Even then, you are looking at 7.5-7 3/4 pounds.. Your thoughts on a rem 700 are valid and weight will be less. I wouldn't go that route myself, having had problems with Rem 700 rifles in the past. There's other options like the NULA's, and Kimbers too, but they are quite a bit more money than a Tikka.

I did a double-take when you recommended a "Winchester" FWT... figured you'd call it a Browning! 😇😂

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Find a short m700 or m70 or m77 chambered in anything and send it to rifles inc.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Kimber Montana if you can find one.

Scott
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
2nd Kimber Montana. Mine is scary accurate with plain ole Hornady American Whitetail with 139 interlocks at 100 yds. So much so I can't reload better.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I could not be happier with my Tikka T3x Lite in 7mm-08.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Kimber Montana/Hunter. You can get the hunter for around the same price as a Tikka.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ti takeoff barrel and spin it on a SS 700 action. Too bad they've dried up.

Maybe a Gander Mtn Faux Ti if you can find one (I bought one from the classifieds in Nov 2020).

Or one of the later factory M700 SS Mountain rifles with the B&C stock (6-1/2 lbs naked).

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Razorhog
2nd Kimber Montana. Mine is scary accurate with plain ole Hornady American Whitetail with 139 interlocks at 100 yds. So much so I can't reload better.

Same here.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 990 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.