Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Over the years I've noticed people tend to be over gunned, over scoped and under practiced.

Naw, not really… guess most of the wannabes maybe, in this case, I never fired thIs rifle in over 2 years, not a single shot. How dare I, Rem action, untrued, no bUshed bolt, talleys, blah blah [bleep] blah…. Easy to tell who shoots and who don’t….🤣🤣

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]cute baby boy names in spanish

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
All you trustworthy “scope cuunts” should worry about waaaaay more than if your rifle is zeroed….

I know I know, the liar Larry pm’s say otherwise, but there are those that do, and those that don’t… hint

Last edited by Judman; 11/05/21.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gettin ready to roll my 6.5-300 Wby, 6.5-20 leupy to montucky Sunday. Haven’t shot it in (3) years!!! Haha deer and antelope tags in hand. Very concerned, obviously.. 😂😂👍😘😎

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I generally try to once before the season, but not always and especially if the rifle has just been sitting in the safe for a couple years.

My idea of "checking zero" usually just involves setting an empty beer can up on a rock at whatever distance and firing one round.

I am MUCH more of a hunter than a shooter. I actually kind of dread just going "shooting".

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Me too ted, and I’ve got a bench and steel hung to 500.. to be honest, I absolutely hate reloading anymore…. Haha

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Some people play golf, some go fishing, some go shooting. Just different ways to relax.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never did enjoy reloading.

I'd rather watch a gay pride parade than reload. It is just a means to an end to me.

Hope you've been well.....my college buddies in Forks absolutely slaughtered the roosie elk this year on the muzzleloader hunt...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Been busy brother, got a couple trips left, freezer is full… 😎👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Some people play golf, some go fishing, some go shooting. Just different ways to relax.

You like most here, are better off reading and lookin at pics than yakin. As I’ve said for years, shiit ain’t hard as far as wares, it’s the doin most have problems with… 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I enjoy reloading and besides i have no friends just the guys at the rifle range. Bert and Arnie swell guys. Anyhow I'm always tinkering with a load, I have way too many rifles anyhow. But I try to keep all of them sighted in and some ammo loaded for them once its time to go hunting. But i cant recall making a special trip to the range to check my zero.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haha I’m sure I’ll hear how wrong I am tomorrow!!! Haha

Headed out for a couple weeks again, I’m sure I won’t be disappointed… 🤣🤣😎😎😘🖕🏿

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I check zero every year with every rifle I take out. Usually, I concentrate on 4 candidates and start bringing them out in August. Rifle Season starts in Mid-November, so that is plenty of time. I have 1 or 2 that are known performers and I leave 2 slots for new rigs and new loads. With the surgery this summer, I had to scale back my experimentation. I try to have 4 ready to go by the time Muzzleloader Season roles around in Mid-October.

With some rifles, I could put one round downrange, see that it's shooting to the same spot and put it away until season. I usually run 3-5 rounds through them just in case. I have a Ruger Hawkeye that is that way. The Mauser from Hell also seems to be fairly dependable in that regard, but it took years to get it that way.

Others? My Savage 99 takes used to take 5 shots minimum before it would settle down and I then I could find where it was shooting. Dyna Bore Coat reduced the problem considerably, but it still is a temperamental beast.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I’m with you and Jud. Reloading has never been something I really look forward to.

I enjoy shooting rocks, steel etc., but I’d rather watch you in a pride parade than shoot for groups on a target.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
I generally try to once before the season, but not always and especially if the rifle has just been sitting in the safe for a couple years.

My idea of "checking zero" usually just involves setting an empty beer can up on a rock at whatever distance and firing one round.

I am MUCH more of a hunter than a shooter. I actually kind of dread just going "shooting".

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I check zero before every season. All are cleaned after season. I have a couple of factory barrels that need a few fouling shots to settle down. If I have any questions about zero it goes to the range. I once had a sling snap climbing in a stand. I checked zero before hunting it again. I rather enjoy range time and reloading.
GreggH

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I'm a lot more of a recreational shooter than a hunter, so anything I'm going to use hunting has already been shot regularly since the previous season anyway.

So, technically, I suppose that's a yes. 🤷‍♂️

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
yep. cold barrel POI is especially important. after a couple of cold barrel shots i usually throw half a dozen or so down range just for the fun of it, depending on ammo availability. i'm pretty well set for almost everything anymore. it used to be a tradition. here in PA the rifle season was always the monday after thanksgiving so friday, saturday, sunday were sight-in days at camp. lot of good memories from my younger days shooting with the old guys and bs'ing.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shoot my hunting rifles a couple times a month year 'round and a final check of zero prior to leaving for hunting camp.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I always check the zero of my rifles before taking them hunting. This year I had two scopes fail. One was an older Leupold 1.5-5x on a Savage 99. I wasn't sure if the problem was the rifle, the load, or the scope.

I took scope off the Savage and put it on a Winchester Model 70 which is very accurate. The Model 70 started shooting big groups, proving that the scope is bad. I put the original scope back on the Model 70 and accuracy returned.

Another scope, a 2-7x Burris on my very accurate Remington Model Seven, also went bad. I switched to a 4x Leupold and the rifle's normal excellent accuracy returned.

It's good to know if your rifle will shoot to point of aim with a clean, cold barrel. It's not terribly important if you are hunting in woods with shots under 100 yards, but it's good to know your firearm.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I always check the zero of my rifles before taking them hunting. This year I had two scopes fail. One was an older Leupold 1.5-5x on a Savage 99. I wasn't sure if the problem was the rifle, the load, or the scope.

I took scope off the Savage and put it on a Winchester Model 70 which is very accurate. The Model 70 started shooting big groups, proving that the scope is bad. I put the original scope back on the Model 70 and accuracy returned.

Another scope, a 2-7x Burris on my very accurate Remington Model Seven, also went bad. I switched to a 4x Leupold and the rifle's normal excellent accuracy returned.

It's good to know if your rifle will shoot to point of aim with a clean, cold barrel. It's not terribly important if you are hunting in woods with shots under 100 yards, but it's good to know your firearm.

I agree about the cold barrel sight in.

It's that first shot that counts the most.

I take pains to let the barrel cool on initial fine tuning.

To verify zero, after that, it should only take one shot. wink

Was checking zero on a rifle one day after missing a coyote. Had a pretty famous gun writer with me... Fired one shot. It was where I'd left it. 100% accurate. So I said it's on, and went to leave. Brian asked me if I didn't want to shoot 2-3 more for a group to see for sure. Told him of my cold barrel sight in, and verification. He agreed.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why check zero? My gunsmith bore sighted it!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (257Bob, 163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 54 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.