Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#16591938 11/04/21
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
About 30 miles north of me a wolf was killed by a vehicle on a two lane highway 2 days ago. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It was killed in the vicinity of where this wolf was sighted a few years ago. The Kickapoo River is nearby and wolves may be dispersing from up north down the watershed.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's 1 good one!!

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I’m not surprised, there is wolf dispersion much more significantly in Central/Southern WI than most people are aware of. Sadly it’s not going to get better.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Vernon County?

Support your local brewer.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RoundOak: By coincidence here in Montana they just raised the "limit" yesterday on any one persons Wolf kills to 20 (twenty!) per year.
A tag must be allotted to each Wolf.
10 (ten) can be shot and 10 (ten) can be trapped and now snared by any one person each season.
In other words the harm and depletion of game (Moose, Elk, Deer and Bighorn Sheep!) and ranch animals by the transplanted Canadian Wolves is starting to get under peoples skin hereabouts!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
It must be cutting into the funds game and fish are getting. Edk

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That’s a good wolf. They are always good when they’re dead.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
So, reallly, what bullet at what range?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
55gr TTSX at any range.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Any info on weight?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
RoundOak: By coincidence here in Montana they just raised the "limit" yesterday on any one persons Wolf kills to 20 (twenty!) per year.
10 (ten) can be shot and 10 (ten) can be trapped and now snared by any one person each season.
In other words the harm and depletion of game (Moose, Elk, Deer and Bighorn Sheep!) and ranch animals by the transplanted Canadian Wolves is starting to get under peoples skin hereabouts!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Just sold my house and land in Michigan's UP going to miss hunting and trapping.....I would feed 100-120 deer January - beginning of April has been a steady spiral down to last 6 years..... last year only 9-11 deer come in to feed wolf tracks with in 100' of the house.....
Wife has 2- Jack Russell's we needed to carry a shotgun with buckshot every time they went outside.....DNR gave me a permit and 12 ga. cracker shell to scare them off they work for a couple years....I have seen wolfs 100' from the house in the middle of the day....only way for sure would be to shoot them but I'am not allowed....

Last edited by coyotewacker; 11/05/21.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oregon packs are killing livestock at an increased rate. 4 years ago, the Suburu bunch, Defenders of Wildlife set up a compensation fund for ranchers losses. But several predictable things happened, wolf population increased drastically, kills increased, a couple ranchers claimed every loss was a 'wolf kill', the money ran out, the state fund ran out, the wolves did what wolves do, killed for sport as well as food. The whole re introduction is a train wreck. 5 chewed up calves in Klamath County this week, 2 calves had to be put down. Is there ANYTHING the government does that turns out well?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Dayam, VG. It's good MT folks have finally got the politicos to acknowledge there's a problem.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Oregon packs are killing livestock at an increased rate. 4 years ago, the Suburu bunch, Defenders of Wildlife set up a compensation fund for ranchers losses. But several predictable things happened, wolf population increased drastically, kills increased, a couple ranchers claimed every loss was a 'wolf kill', the money ran out, the state fund ran out, the wolves did what wolves do, killed for sport as well as food. The whole re introduction is a train wreck. 5 chewed up calves in Klamath County this week, 2 calves had to be put down. Is there ANYTHING the government does that turns out well?

Answer: Zero.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
25 year ago we didn't have coyotes around here. Now they're very common. A lot fewer raccoons and don't let your cats out.

How soon will wolves migrate here and what will the tree huggers think then?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by jaguartx
So, reallly, what bullet at what range?

F150, point blank?
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Just sold my house and land in Michigan's UP going to miss hunting and trapping.....I would feed 100-120 deer January - beginning of April has been a steady spiral down to last 6 years..... last year only 9-11 deer come in to feed wolf tracks with in 100' of the house.....
Wife has 2- Jack Russell's we needed to carry a shotgun with buckshot every time they went outside.....DNR gave me a permit and 12 ga. cracker shell to scare them off they work for a couple years....I have seen wolfs 100' from the house in the middle of the day....only way for sure would be to shoot them but I'am not allowed....

Cracker shells? Ya shudda done a Baldwin.

Note: Some years back I posted about collecting for supper a grouse my Lab had treed out in the yard, and grabbing the top round out of a box 7 !/2s for the 12. My wife had apparently been "putting things away", and I didn't look. I always look now, as I should have then.... 3" OO Buck works, but it isn't ideal for that application. smile

Last edited by las; 11/06/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
25 year ago we didn't have coyotes around here. Now they're very common. A lot fewer raccoons and don't let your cats out.

How soon will wolves migrate here and what will the tree huggers think then?

Where I hunt in south Mississippi its bears. We have game camera pictures of 7 different bears on our 3800 acre lease. Can't touch them. Tree huggers brought them in 10-15 years ago and they're spreading like fire ants.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Pointbock
Vernon County?

Spent a good portion of my childhood in Vernon County!

Speaking of the government running stuff - old saying, "If the government ran organized crime, it wouldn't pay either."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,736 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,195
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.