Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, it will..saw that a few times in HP. Same combo will also work in bolt guns..saw that a few times also, tho the neck on the fire formed 308 case is really, really short.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A guy I know guides in Colorado every year. Apparently he had the same hunter show up 2 years in a row with his .300 Weatherby using .300 win mag ammo.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Teeder
A guy I know guides in Colorado every year. Apparently he had the same hunter show up 2 years in a row with his .300 Weatherby using .300 win mag ammo.

My son guided on a big West Texas ranch for a couple of years and a guy from Houston showed up with a 270 Win. rifle and 270 Wby. ammo. He couldn't figure why the bolt wouldn't close!

It gets better, as mentioned above, he showed up again the next year with the same damn rifle and same damn box of ammo! You can't make this chit up.

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JPro
All the more reason to only have one box of ammo out at a time when shooting multiple rifles.

Yup, I do that at the range and only have one powder out at a time on the bench as well.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Brad,

Evidently some of the typical old-time 7 Em Em guys are alive and still confused!

If Montana had a standing army it would be made up of confused old guys with 7 Em Em's!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, and some with a lifetime supply of 7 Em Em Express ammo!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Once had a hunter show up with a Ruger #1 25-06, and 30-06 ammo.

This thread is a good example of why their are services available for hire for load development, custom reloading, sight in, scope mounting, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Brad
As seen this week at our local Montana gun store...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Unfortunately there’s a reason for posting signs like that…

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/using-6mm-creedmoor-in-a-6-5mm-creedmoor-rifle.4045223/

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I happened to be in Walmart shortly after Christmas 2007. The clerk took a customer's call. I could only hear one end of the conversation, but apparently someone had gotten a new rifle for Christmas in 7mm-08 and was trying to find ammo. The clerk was trying to explain to the customer on the phone that all of their current ammo was 07 ammo. They would be getting in a shipment of 08 ammo in a couple of weeks.

And they had a similar sign up in Cabela's during the summer advising customers that the bullets in the reloading section were not loaded cartridges.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
I happened to be in Walmart shortly after Christmas 2007. The clerk took a customer's call. I could only hear one end of the conversation, but apparently someone had gotten a new rifle for Christmas in 7mm-08 and was trying to find ammo. The clerk was trying to explain to the customer on the phone that all of their current ammo was 07 ammo. They would be getting in a shipment of 08 ammo in a couple of weeks.

Priceless...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Next door neighbor 40 years ago bought a new Browning BLR in 243 from Oshman’s in Houston. He took them a new 3x9 gold ring and had them bore sight it for him. Wouldn’t hit paper at 100 or 25 yards and as he was placing it back in the gun case he noticed the 308 stamped on the barrel. When he got back home he double checked the box and it was labeled 243 Winchester. When he took it back to Oshman’s they swapped it out no questions asked….

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm from Alabama and my first deer rifle in 1983 was a Ruger tang safety 7X57. For many years when I answered the question "what are you shooting" they would give me a puzzled look and then ask "is that bigger than a seven mag?"

Still have the rifle.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A friend of mine's father was a gunsmith when the 7RM arrived in the early 1960s. He did a lot of rebarreling and was very good at his trade. He told us that he lost track of how many guys arrived at his shop with Mauser 93s 95s and Remington rolling blocks in 7x57mm and wanted him to convert their rifles to 7RM. He explained to them they were better off buying a brand new rifle or bring him a M70 or an FN Mauser and he would gladly put a new barrel on it.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Bought a new 700 in 7mm mag years ago. It wouldn't chamber factory ammo so I took it back to the shop. Young kid behind the counter took the bolt out of an 06 and said try it now. Had to explain the case heads were different sizes and the number on the bolt didn't match the serial number. He had no idea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I saw the results of 300 Win mag in a 300 Weatherby at our hunting club.
When I walk up to our bench to shoot, I always take a few minutes to look around for any brass that somebody might have left. I picked up a case and thought, “that’s kinda weird”. It had the double radius typical of a Weatherby chamber but a neck about 1/16” long. I looked at the headstamp and it was 300 Win mag! 😳 I think there were 10 or 12 fired cases.

A week or so later we were standing around shooting the bull and it turns out one of our “firearms challenged” members had bought a 300 Weatherby but when he saw the price of the ammo, he decided he could do better at Walmart. Well he went to Walmart and asked for 300 Magnum ammo. Of course the clerk picks up a 300 Win magnum ammo box and our new gun owner thinks he’s all set. Thank goodness the gun and the ammo are belted so it headspaced and fired ok and fire formed the brass. 😁😳

Just making them AI. Less need to trim the brass.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
A fella gave me some brass years ago. 300 win mag and 7mm mag. I started examining the brass and realized that the 7mm mag brass has an oddly shortened neck. I then compared it to the 300 win mag brass. My deduction led me to believe that he, or someone in his family, had shot the 7 through the 300 fire forming the cases.

Out of concern I asked him about the brass. He denied anything abnormal happening but someone shot it that 20 count box of 7mm mag through a 300 win mag.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bugger
There’s dealers on Guns International that advertise 7mm Remington, but don’t say which one

Those are the "you see what I'm sayin?" crowd. Or, "well, you know what I meant, you sorry @#$%^&!!!"

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
I'm from Alabama and my first deer rifle in 1983 was a Ruger tang safety 7X57. For many years when I answered the question "what are you shooting" they would give me a puzzled look and then ask "is that bigger than a seven mag?"

Still have the rifle.

Could it have been that your friends were all Auburn fans? War Eagle!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Brad,

Evidently some of the typical old-time 7 Em Em guys are alive and still confused!

Though I am no fan of the 7mm Mauser, it does what it is supposed to do. It goes to show how wrong I have been, always thinking velocity meant everything. Finally going back to my first love, 308 Winchester, has reminded me of this with every pull of the trigger. While my collection of 7-08's, 280's, 280 AI's, 7 RSAUM's, 7 Wby's have all put meat in the freezer, I cannot deny the ability of a slower projectile works too.

Though I poke fun at the Mauser users I honestly respect them highly.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Brad,

Though I am no fan of the 7mm Mauser, it does what it is supposed to do. It goes to show how wrong I have been, always thinking velocity meant everything. Finally going back to my first love, 308 Winchester, has reminded me of this with every pull of the trigger. While my collection of 7-08's, 280's, 280 AI's, 7 RSAUM's, 7 Wby's have all put meat in the freezer, I cannot deny the ability of a slower projectile works too.

Though I poke fun at the Mauser users I honestly respect them highly.

Why no love for the 7x57 when a few of what you shoot are so similar?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,307 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,639
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.