Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Those $20 Wrangler hiking pants have been a very nice surprise. They're the best way I know to keep a constantly growing boy in non-cotton outdoor activity pants. I resisted for a long time but finally sprung for Kuiu raingear; even the sale price made me angry but it's worked well so far.

Some of the best hunting clothes I've spent money on is this stuff; durable, warm, and quiet: https://asbellwool.com/

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
If you don't need camo you can find great deals on top shelf mountaineering and ski gear in the spring from the outlets like Sierra Trading Post. If you play hard outdoors in all weather modern gear greatly enhances your pleasure and safety. Lightweight, stretchy and very tough is the hallmark of good alpine gear built for hard use in the roughest conditions.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting comfort has vastly improved with some of that fancy gear. What doesn’t work gets quickly culled.

Yup.
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I’m not comfortable in the rain regardless of what I’m wearing. Call me soft but unless I get caught out in it I’m not willingly going out in anything moderate or heavier rainfall. Thinking an old PVC camo rain jacket to wear for boat rides and when it gets really nasty over my normal water resistant outer layers is the more sensible route. My favorite coat is an Under Armour hoodie, that thing is lightweight and warm for its size but they no longer make it as they got out of waterfowl gear. I have a Columbia Widgeon shell that leaks like a sieve even after waterproofing so it’s going back but they don’t even seem to offer much for hunting anymore so who know what they would replace with.

I can definitely see the benefit of the higher end stuff for mountain or backpack hunting but I do neither of those.

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 11/07/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where/when I grew up in the 60's early 70's you wore old clothes to hunt in period. Buddies brother brought me an army jacket liner home from Germany where he was stationed. I thought I died and went to heaven.

Brown flannel lined pants from Costco are usually $19.99, down vests on sale for $14.99 and the jackets for $19.99.

They are so light that they are perfect for layering under any old light camo shirt/jack that you might have laying around.

Boots is where I don't mind spending a little $$$ though.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sitka has always been priced at the top end & it's good stuff if what they have suits your needs...................kinda buy once, cry once. It doesn't suit my need very well in most cases.

But there's plenty of other decent stuff from all kinds of manufacturers at decent prices, today, if you look hard.

Just depends what your goals & expectations are.

I bought KOM & Sleeping Indian wool stuff 20 years ago, it only gets worn hunting & it will last another 20 years. Cheap, no............great product with long life, yes.

Friend of mine, a guy I worked with for a few years, started Scent-Lok.................he made a few bucks since starting that business.

MM

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Used to love the hunting spammers on Outdoor Channel in full disappearance mode climbing into a dark blind, that cost as much as a used Mustang I bought at 19. Guess that was in case a critter crawled into the blind it wouldn’t see them.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
EBay is my friend. Bought most of my hunting clothes there. No complaints yet.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by AKduck
My hunting comfort has vastly improved with some of that fancy gear. What doesn’t work gets quickly culled.

By about day 5 of an early oct SE moose hunt you’d pay about anything for clothes that work…grin. For what we’d do your money is better spent on clothing than on rifles IMO.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by AKduck

By about day 5 of an early oct SE moose hunt you’d pay about anything for clothes that work…grin. For what we’d do your money is better spent on clothing than on rifles IMO.

What's the saying? There's no bad weather, only bad clothing choices.....

Now, I'd look like a commercial wearing Sitka in the woods I hunt.

I'll probably be wearing Carhartt during the ice storm this week.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ribka
buy during off season clearance sales. Save 50 per cent

^^^This^^^

Midway always has some great sales after hunting season.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Since everyone is griping about the prices of everything, I’d like to gripe about the cost of hunting clothing and gear. I’ve been looking for a new waterfowl jacket or shell and the prices on some of this stuff is insane. $400 for a waterproof shell jacket and $300 for a liner (Sitka)! I’m not sure how we got to the point that average folks are perfectly acceptable paying that much for a jacket. There has always been the high end gear but it was generally not well represented in the field but I see lots of it in the field now. Then you have smaller companies trying to break into the market by pricing themselves in the same bracket, which is an odd strategy to me. Appears some apparel manufacturers think the higher you price it the better it will appear to be to consumers. I guess I’m too cheap and behind the times

I don't wear any super expensive gear and 25 below (and colder) along with wind is pretty common. I think the most expensive outer gear I have is a quiet, soft shell gore-tex from Cabelas. Quite often when it is nasty I am wearing a German Army Gore Tex surplus bibs and a shell as an outer layer. My expedition style Outdoor Research gloves are not cheap but they are not grossly expensive either. Keeping hands warm is a priority in my mind.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There is no reason (in my opinion ) to spend 500-600 on a big name camo. Elk and deer don't know Coolio camo from German Flectarn . But If a guy wants to spend his money on it, then that is their business. My Scottish heritage runs too deep. I watched a guy rip one of those jackets in a small town gas station in Idaho. He snagged it on something (on the display) walking by and it ripped. It tore open and from what I could tell it appeared to be pretty darn thin. I will stick with my military surplus polarfleece and Goretex

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by ribka
buy during off season clearance sales. Save 50 per cent

^^^This^^^

Midway always has some great sales after hunting season.

Get on this website's email distro list for Sitka close-outs, https://mountain-archery.com/sitka-gear-clothing.aspx.

I've bought several Sitka gear products at 50% off from these guys. I'm by nature rather skeptical, but having bought and worn Sitka brand technical clothing, it's good stuff. I'm still too cheap to pay MSRP, but when these guys run sales, that's when to buy.

https://mountain-archery.com/sitka-gear-sale-and-closeouts.aspx

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Sounds gay, but I always thought one of those collapsible umbrellas would be a smart move for at least getting shelter out of the rain. If I wasn't scared of getting zapped by lightning, I would have tried it by now. Especially in the mountains where a storm rolls over the hill, you could get under a tree, have a snack under your umbrella and wait it out.

If you do, please dont be offended if I see you and break out in a fit of uncontrollable laughter. But on the other hand you may have a great idea there (the camo parasol) to sell to all the spandex hunter types, you might become a multi millionaire..
To sell it would have to be made of graphite and spandex, and cost about 5 times as much as a regular parasol.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AZmark
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Sounds gay, but I always thought one of those collapsible umbrellas would be a smart move for at least getting shelter out of the rain. If I wasn't scared of getting zapped by lightning, I would have tried it by now. Especially in the mountains where a storm rolls over the hill, you could get under a tree, have a snack under your umbrella and wait it out.

If you do, please dont be offended if I see you and break out in a fit of uncontrollable laughter. But on the other hand you may have a great idea there (the camo parasol) to sell to all the spandex hunter types, you might become a multi millionaire..
To sell it would have to be made of graphite and spandex, and cost about 5 times as much as a regular parasol.

Sitka has ya' covered there too. smile It's actually a pretty nice tarp.

Sitka Gear Flash Shelter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

BDUs.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

BDUs.

fine in Sept bow hunts

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Nothing like a bunch of losers whining about stuff they can’t afford. Who cares what someone else wears anyway?

Just like the macho hunters that brag about how nasty the hike was to get where they elk hunt and then say they wouldn’t shoot anything in that thick stuff.

Do you go to Rodeo Drive and throw rocks at all the rich people driving expensive cars too?

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I also have the German flectarn army surplus camo. Got it from Sportsman’s Guide for cheap years ago. Hooded coat with removable liner and suspender coverall pants. I did eventually replace the zipper with a heavy duty YKK zipper on the jacket liner. I wear the liner more than anything, makes a great insulating layer and has a turtle neck that goes up to your nose.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,556
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.