Hop To
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
G

Metallurgist admits faking steel-test results for Navy subs

By Gene Johnson, The Associated Press

SEATTLE (AP) — A metallurgist in Washington state pleaded guilty to fraud Monday after she spent decades faking the results of strength tests on steel that was being used to make U.S. Navy submarines.

Elaine Marie Thomas, 67, of Auburn, Washington, was the director of metallurgy at a foundry in Tacoma that supplied steel castings used by Navy contractors Electric Boat and Newport News Shipbuilding to make submarine hulls.

From 1985 through 2017, Thomas falsified the results of strength and toughness tests for at least 240 productions of steel — about half the steel the foundry produced for the Navy, according to her plea agreement, filed Monday in U.S. District Court in Tacoma. The tests were intended to show that the steel would not fail in a collision or in certain “wartime scenarios,” the Justice Department said.

There was no allegation that any submarine hulls failed, but authorities said the Navy had incurred increased costs and maintenance to ensure they remain seaworthy. The government did not disclose which subs were affected.

Thomas faces up to 10 years in prison and a $1 million fine when she is sentenced in February. However, the Justice Department said it would recommend a prison term at the low end of whatever the court determines is the standard sentencing range in her case.

In a statement filed in U.S. District Court on her behalf Monday, her attorney, John Carpenter, said Thomas “took shortcuts.”

“Ms. Thomas never intended to compromise the integrity of any material and is gratified that the government’s testing does not suggest that the structural integrity of any submarine was in fact compromised,” Carpenter wrote. “This offense is unique in that it was neither motivated by greed nor any desire for personal enrichment. She regrets that she failed to follow her moral compass – admitting to false statements is hardly how she envisioned living out her retirement years.”

Thomas’ conduct came to light in 2017, when a metallurgist being groomed to replace her noticed suspicious test results and alerted their company, Kansas City-based Bradken Inc., which acquired the foundry in 2008.

Bradken fired Thomas and initially disclosed its findings to the Navy, but then wrongfully suggested that the discrepancies were not the result of fraud. That hindered the Navy’s investigation into the scope of the problem as well as its efforts to remediate the risks to its sailors, prosecutors said.

In June 2020, the company agreed to pay $10.9 million in a deferred-prosecution agreement.

When confronted with the doctored results, Thomas told investigators, “Yeah, that looks bad,” the Justice Department said. She suggested that in some cases she changed the tests to passing grades because she thought it was “stupid” that the Navy required the tests to be conducted at negative-100 degrees Fahrenheit (negative-73.3 degrees Celsius).

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Her defense attorney saying “she took shortcuts.” Further down, says she skipped tests and evidently falsified results because, in her opinion, what the navy requested tested “was stupid.”

Sounds like a “motivated incompetence” to me, i.e. deliberate. Not a “shortcut”.

No picture to be found.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How nice. Can't tell the friends from the enemies.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’d wave the prison time and fine and sentence her to meeting with every single man and woman that served on the affected vessels so she can explain what and why she did what she did. Maybe they could explain why steel used in submarines operating at those depths and pressures has to be tested at conditions beyond operating.

Doesn’t sound like much of a scientist. Maybe 20000 hours with crew could help her understand.

Fear the crabcat.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My HS welding instructor grew up back east in a family of welders who worked on subs. When a boat was "done" and scheduled for sea trials for the first time, every worker involved in the construction put their name in bag and randomly drawn to go along with the crew. Knowing this ahead of time pretty much ensured quality control from all involved.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I fired folks that gave any inkling of lack of trustworthiness. Thankfully they were contractors so it was relatively easy.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When confronted with the doctored results, Thomas told investigators, “Yeah, that looks bad,” the Justice Department said. She suggested that in some cases she changed the tests to passing grades because she thought it was “stupid” that the Navy required the tests to be conducted at negative-100 degrees Fahrenheit (negative-73.3 degrees Celsius)

That is not a shortcut. That is deciding that you know better than the specifier. Worse, far worse, it is deliberately lying about the results, because you think you know better.

FWIW as a metallurgist myself, I've a lot of testing, including in an accredited lab certifying components as safe for exacting service. I have also done a lot of failure investigation. IMHO you might advise the client that the testing protocol is inappropriate, but if the client wants the stuff tested at -73.3 Celsius that is what they get. Your reputation is everything, and lives may literally depend on the results being reported accurately and truthfully. If the report of what allegedly occurred here is accurate then it looks more than bad.

I wonder if there may be more to this? Was she under pressure to change results so that particular heats didn't get scrapped?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
She needs to be strapped to the outside of one of these subs and taken on a polar cruise.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Hill
Originally Posted by g5m
How nice. Can't tell the friends from the enemies.

Oh yes you can. See how they vote. smirk

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shades of the rivets on the Titanic.

Faking results for possibly as long as 32 years, and she’s the only one that knew? Seems unlikely.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have two welding procedures at the lab now. We will perform CVN testing at -125F today. I should let my client know how stupid the test is.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Work is always interfering with facebook time...
Just pencil whip schitt...
Norma and Betty Lou are talking about Lace coasters and showing pictures of grandkids......

" Low end of jail time"..........

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
It's stupid on it's face and downright criminal. I cannot see why one would put their credibility on the line by falsifying a report or skipping a procedure just because they thought it was stupid. Tests are made all the time that are pushing the envelope on reasonable expectations but why not just do the test and give them the results and explain your findings. Let the cards fall where they may.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Falsifying reports on metal used to build submarines, the bitch needs to be hanged in a public place.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We haven’t a sub and sub-related thread in a couple days. lol 👏🏻🤟🏼🤣

Rocky saggynuts54 will start a companion thread 😩🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻🤦🏻

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Put em in a subforum

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder if she just didn't know how to conduct the tests but knew what the results were supposed to be? Total incompetence but put there because of some friends or relative or other hitting initiative? Just an idea. I've seen that else where where people knew they didn't know but didn't want to admit it so they "faked it til they made it". Often they'll sabotage people around them in order to detract from themselves being looked at. Maybe she justified it that whomever she taught would just slide in and she'd leave with no one the wiser?

Just a theory

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’d be surprised if she wasn’t doing precisely what she was instructed to do.

Everybody has a boss.

Last edited by gregintenn; 11/09/21.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We make parts for both Electric Boat and Newport News subs. Nothing in our plant would get by our lab and inspectors. We scrap quite a bit of finished parts due to our tight standards.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (3333vl, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 25 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,881
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.