Print Thread
Hop To
S
SGB Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Does anyone use this scope? What are your thoughts on it and what would you compare it to?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought one for a steal closeout price back when Nikon decided to drop rifle scopes from their product mix.
It’s on a Tikka T3x 6.5 Creed that I have only put a couple hundred rounds through. So far the scope has tracked and held zero fine. I read several reviews on the scope before buying it and they were all positive.
It’s a large scope that’s best suited for a long range rifle; I primarily use it for shooting steel out to 1,000 yards at my gun club.
If you can pick one up for a good price, taking into account that Nikon’s warranty support is iffy, I think you’ll be happy.
I have owned several Nikon scopes and have never had an issue with any of them but I don’t put them to hard use

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SGB
Does anyone use this scope? What are your thoughts on it and what would you compare it to?

They were pretty unimpressive when they were introduced, and now that they are no longer supported, I sure can't see a reason to buy one.

The glass was "ok," which was to be expected at that price range. The turrets are kinda mushy, and there were quite a few folks over on Snipershide who experienced less than stellar tracking. The reticle choices were pretty poor, and the 4x erector is weak sauce.

Nikon tried the "tactical" market a few times, but never would wholly commit, and it shows. I feel like the FX was their Hail Mary, and when it flopped, that was the last straw for Nikon.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by SGB

They were pretty unimpressive when they were introduced, and now that they are no longer supported, I sure can't see a reason to buy one.

The glass was "ok," which was to be expected at that price range. The turrets are kinda mushy, and there were quite a few folks over on Snipershide who experienced less than stellar tracking. The reticle choices were pretty poor, and the 4x erector is weak sauce.

Nikon tried the "tactical" market a few times, but never would wholly commit, and it shows. I feel like the FX was their Hail Mary, and when it flopped, that was the last straw for Nikon.

Not sure this is true. I read mostly positive when it came out and wasnt long before they announced they were going out of scope business. I am not a huge Nikon fan. But did buy one that bass pro put out as the x1000 by mistake. Paid around $300 for it.
While the glass is not the most bright its decent. The clicks are positive and so far its tracked perfectly and held zero on a browning 7mag. Wife shot a mule deer at a ranged 642 yards and click value was right on. I do wonder how long it will hold up and about customer service should it fail. But so far its been better than my VX6 that failed after less than 100 rounds through my 300wby.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mine's been solid. Bought it when they were closing them out. Yes, there are better reticles out there for long-range work. However, at the price they let them go, I was willing to take a gamble. I'm pleased with it for what it is.

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have one and like it OK. Glass is decent & reticle is good but a little too thick. Mine tracks well.

That being said I wouldn’t buy one now unless it was a real steal. Warranty service isn’t iffy, it’s non-existent. Nikon went woke and basically told scope owners “screw you”. If it fails you’ve got a paperweight. They could have arranged some sort of warranty support as they exited the business but chose not to. That’s all I need to know about their business ethics.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,459
Posts18,529,130
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.