Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Finally the very best CRF action I can imagine is in existence. It isn’t easy to obtain but it can be had. It isn’t the lightest imaginable. And it isn’t inexpensive. But it sets the standard for what the British label as Best Quality.

Since beginning to fiddle with fine hunting rifles, I have been pretty obsessed with finding the ultimate action to use as the foundation for my personal hunting rifle. When I began there were only two choices, the 98 type Mauser and the pre-64 M70. Production of the 700 had just started.

I have always believed that the action is the foundation/heart of a fine rifle. I have had 98’s and M70’s lovingly laboured over by Tom Burgess and Ted Blackburn and Al Biesen and Jerry Fisher who were the preeminent custom metal workers of the day. I have also owned and hunted with an Echols Legend which was built around an extensively refined Classic M 70. Have owned and used every M700 type including Bat, Bighorn, Lone Peak, Defiance, Surgeon, Rem CM & Ti. Also have owned GMA actioned rifles.

In the long run I buy the best, it’s actually less expensive than owning a dozen or more duplicates of each other.. Every single rifle mentioned before is gone other than an old M700 I keep as a loaner.

I learned long ago that I am happier having a few things that are “just right”. I have pals who have 10-15-20+ plus rifles which are just duplicates of one another. They are serial builders and pack rats. I use what I have and when I don’t use it then it goes away.

Going to dinner, more to come, besides this damn website is giving me fits with typing.

Last edited by RinB; 11/09/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am thinking my Wisner 7x57 Swede works. Pure perfection.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mayfair?

Semper Fi

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Apologize for the dinner break.

DArcy Echols has been setting the standard for building hunting rifles that are Very Best Quality.

In his Utah shop I got my hands on his new LX-1 action. It is made of modern steels. It is manufactured to aerospace standards and is being made in two lengths for 30/06 and 375 H&H class of cartridges. Oh, and he hasn’t forgotten the south paws.

DArcy has been thinking about and designing this action for many years perhaps as far back as the beginning of his rifle building career when he was working around Tom Burgess and Jerry Fisher. It has a profile similar to the M70 (which means a great looking wood stock can be made for it). It has a bolt stop and gas shield reminiscent of the 98. It has the integral bases similar to those of the BRNO ZG47. It includes rings and a really beautiful trigger guard & floorplate assembly. There isn’t anything to do to it except maybe checker the bolt knob.

The trigger is M70 but because of precision machining it will accept adjustments difficult to get on the old actions. The safety is M70 as well.

I honestly believe it is the best I have ever seen. It really is that good. I have one!

I have pics if someone will post for me.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Pics on AR under custom rifles

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by RinB

Pics on AR under custom rifles

Where are the pics? I couldn’t find them.

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

KK
Look under rifles-custom rifles. May be one second or third page i.e. not on first page.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/1941075662

Last edited by RinB; 11/09/21.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Very interesting and eloquent presentation! Congrats & thanks! smile I'd like to see a whole bunch of centerfold quality pix of that Wisner, larger & more detail. Absent the big white gun rack! I'd also like to see essential 'specs". For me, there's an element of "romance" in a "well turned" gun! smile Particular guns that "speak to me". Perhaps irony here, that I have several 'clunkers by any reasonable standard' that I really enjoy and covet!
The 'pre' Model 70 for me and I believe central focus of many as "balance". A convergence of many favorable factors. "Price point" as produced, one. And surely not set as exotic. Rather for the average hunter, shooter, fondler, simply interested in a fine piece of work that didn't break the pocketbook! Therein, the harmony achieved along with conjuring the formula... Hundreds-thousands, of satisfied owners. For me, the harmony achieved by a rifle, receiver, bolt and barrel - three heavily stressed elements in "Chrome Moly"*
Not many contemporary rifles today with such 'frontable' claim.

Whatever amount to dedicate to the "ultimate gun", inevitably first, reasonable minds can disagree. Second, there's ever something new around the corner. Titanium is a great and interesting metal and particularly in some ways as adapted to guns. But the humorous downside, "Newton & action-reaction". Recoil with such "rifle mass" reduced. Too light, as perhaps you were inferring, not always the "ultimate". *For me, historically in Eighties-Millennium bicycles or in many decades wider guns, such as "4140" Chrome Moly for the better part of a century "gettin 'er done"! Beautifully.

I don't believe there is a gun for all purposes and I don't think you meant that literally, of course. More with some 'poetic license"; a term which no one is sure what it means in application. "Obtuse", sometimes working well! smile Guns, or widgets, or 'stuff', on a versatility scale! Very narrow adaption to very great. The more versatile - jack of all trades - the greater specific application compromises. Metals of greatest corrosion resistance often not particularly of strength characteristics perhaps necessary. Corrosion not being discussed here, but exemplary. Such as in wise choices of "characteristics" in the cooks stew or parfeit!

Well, I do like your style and message. Don't forget Photos, Photos, Photos!
Best!
John

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Stunning! In my case, I prefer to have an action like the ZG47 that has been worked over and built to my desire. Most actions above a well built 700 clone are above my pay grade for an action. I am envious of your project!

Semper Fi

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

Actually I do believe that about 95% of BG hunting can be very well accomplished with a single rifle.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RinB: "Actually I do believe that about 95% of BG hunting can be very well accomplished with a single rifle."

Of course it can but what fun it that? Larry sums it up best: How many guns does one man need? Well just one more.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Apologize for the dinner break.

DArcy Echols has been setting the standard for building hunting rifles that are Very Best Quality.

In his Utah shop I got my hands on his new LX-1 action. It is made of modern steels. It is manufactured to aerospace standards and is being made in two lengths for 30/06 and 375 H&H class of cartridges. Oh, and he hasn’t forgotten the south paws.

DArcy has been thinking about and designing this action for many years perhaps as far back as the beginning of his rifle building career when he was working around Tom Burgess and Jerry Fisher. It has a profile similar to the M70 (which means a great looking wood stock can be made for it). It has a bolt stop and gas shield reminiscent of the 98. It has the integral bases similar to those of the BRNO ZG47. It includes rings and a really beautiful trigger guard & floorplate assembly. There isn’t anything to do to it except maybe checker the bolt knob.

The trigger is M70 but because of precision machining it will accept adjustments difficult to get on the old actions. The safety is M70 as well.

I honestly believe it is the best I have ever seen. It really is that good. I have one!

I have pics if someone will post for me.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 11/10/21.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

KK
Look under rifles-custom rifles. May be one second or third page i.e. not on first page.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971019521/m/1941075662

Oh ok. I was looking for a new thread. You were referring to that one. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I do love the looks of that. There any idea yet what the price of an action will be? I don’t think I can get a full Echols rifle any time soon, but having an action set back for “one day” may be achievable.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
https://satterleearmsrifles.com/actions/

These have a good reputation, never handled one.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
RinB, have you had a chance to weigh yours?

In the post on AR D’arcy stated weight would be a few ounces more than a G series M70. So you are likely looking at mid 40s before BM and 50 plus with BM?

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

AK
The receiver has more steel in it because of the integral bases and the safety shroud which has a 3 position safety but rings and tg&f are available in aluminum, I believe 7075.

Mine is in his shop so can’t weight it. I do prefer pretty lw rifles and this will be heavier than the very lightest 700 clones however a rifle is a system not a collection of individual parts. As an integrated unit I can live with the extra weight. My guess is 8-10 oz more. I will compensate with a #1 barrel contour, a lw stock, and my scope.

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

rotr,
I have owned original and newly manufactured 98’s. They are heavy. There are no svelte glass stocks made of them that are readily available. Joe Smithson make one but it has a lot of drop and is not cheap.

The biggest disadvantage of the 98’s is their lock time which is twice that of an M70 or 700.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RinB: Please advise how much that "inexpensive" and handsome action costs.
My search of the Echols site showed nothing.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

rotr,
I have owned original and newly manufactured 98’s. They are heavy. There are no svelte glass stocks made of them that are readily available. Joe Smithson make one but it has a lot of drop and is not cheap.

The biggest disadvantage of the 98’s is their lock time which is twice that of an M70 or 700.

rotr,

Thx RinB

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

The trigger is M70 but because of precision machining it will accept adjustments difficult to get on the old actions.
Which is what Browning should have done in the first place.......the morons...
The safety is M70 as well.
As it should be...

Congrats on your finding the 'perfect' action... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.