HR IC

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by BangPop
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Nope, they've been [bleep] since day one. Remington was told prior to the release of the rifle by Merle Walker that the trigger was unsafe, and would cost $0.04 per rifle to correct. He was told by Remington management to shut his trap. Numerous people died. The rifle itself is a garbage round action designed to minimize manufacturing costs at the expense of stability in the stock. It has a purely inferior safety mechanism, feed, extraction, and ejection. The recoil lug is likewise inferior. When the costs of settling trigger-related wrongful death suits became more then Remingon could bear, they switched to the X-Mark Pro trigger, which was such a piece of garbage every single one ever made was recalled. Literally no M700 has ever been sold with a non-recalled trigger. Every single one is faulty, and the cartridge trigger concept is garbage to boot even if they could make them work (which they can't).

Asking about the golden age of the 700 is like asking where your turd was at its best as it flowed through your sewer pipe. The answer is that it was a turd from the beginning and always will be.

I guess Merle Walker would be Mike Walkers (the designer of the M700) brother?

Merle was Mikes wife, the one who wore the pants in the family. He did whatever she told him to do.

Are you a [bleep] idiot?

His name was Merle. He did sometimes go by Mike.

https://americanshootingjournal.com/fixing-that-darn-trigger/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by BangPop
Nope, they've been [bleep] since day one. Remington was told prior to the release of the rifle by Merle Walker that the trigger was unsafe, and would cost $0.04 per rifle to correct. He was told by Remington management to shut his trap. Numerous people died. The rifle itself is a garbage round action designed to minimize manufacturing costs at the expense of stability in the stock. It has a purely inferior safety mechanism, feed, extraction, and ejection. The recoil lug is likewise inferior. When the costs of settling trigger-related wrongful death suits became more then Remingon could bear, they switched to the X-Mark Pro trigger, which was such a piece of garbage every single one ever made was recalled. Literally no M700 has ever been sold with a non-recalled trigger. Every single one is faulty, and the cartridge trigger concept is garbage to boot even if they could make them work (which they can't).

Asking about the golden age of the 700 is like asking where your turd was at its best as it flowed through your sewer pipe. The answer is that it was a turd from the beginning and always will be.

I guess Merle Walker would be Mike Walkers (the designer of the M700) brother?

Merle was Mikes wife, the one who wore the pants in the family. He did whatever she told him to do.

Are you a [bleep] idiot?

His name was Merle. He did sometimes go by Mike.

https://americanshootingjournal.com/fixing-that-darn-trigger/

Merle Michael Walker...........hmmmmmm, didn’t he also invent M&M’s candy?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have 5 700's from the 80's till 2014. All shoot sub moa with great actions. The one from 2014 is of the lowest quality but still nothing I really can complain about in regards to accuracy and function.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve got them from the late 70’s through the current made ones, and as far as I’m concerned, they’re the best bolt action rifle made. If you aren’t a fan, fine, just move on.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have both Model 70's and 700's. I don't agree that the M70 is better than the 700, it has different attributes. The M70 action is longer (even the short action version) and heavier than the 700 which makes it more difficult to build a very light, short rifle. The 700 usually has an accuracy advantage and possibly it's design is stronger. Anyone who doesn't like the triggers can swap them out and get the very best trigger. The Model 70 has advantages in other areas, and is also a very fine rifle - but one isn't better than the other...just different attributes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whenever they cataloged the 700 Mountain rifles and 700 TI.

EDIT: I've owned Remington bolt guns for over 50 years, probably over 200 of them across the years, and have never had a problem with the triggers. This only unintended discharge that I recall having was on a used Krag that someone had done a trigger job on and managed to file the sear just a little too much. The only problem that I've had with Remington bolt guns have been extractors on a couple of different 722s back when I was cutting the barrels back for guys who wanted 600/660s, but either couldn't afford them or couldn't find them. Remington has done a lot of things that haven't made sense to me, like going with the 783 after they owned Marlin and could have had the X guns, but who knows why they do what they do.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 11/11/21. Reason: Added comment
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I agree with Riflehunter. I have two 700 BDLs, one in .30-06 and one in .270, and I don't consider them worse than my M70s. just different. Both my BDLs are 2017s (I think). Quality is fine. The only issue I had with either is that the inletting on the .270 stock for the bottom metal was such that the floorplate would not lock as far closed as it would on the .30-06. A little sanding and some gloss laquer fixed that. Both function perfectly well. Both are very accurate, every bit as good or better than my M70s of the same caliber.

I got a little anxious about finding OEM parts for them if needed when Remington went tits up, so I bought spare OEM bottom metal, extractors, etc, to have on hand if anything went wrong. It hasn't.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/11/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned Model 70's , Mausers, and Remington 700's over the years and I couldn't tell you if I have had a problem with any of them. They just keep working for me, killing game and targets pretty simply and never really seem to stop working. I have sent a few of each off for "improvements" to install a different barrel for a cartridge I was interested in, or replaced a trigger on the Remingtons for better target work, but for hunting I've never had to worry about my Remington rifles for an instant when I needed it. I do prefer the early high gloss blue they used to put on their rifles but most of my newer rifles are all stainless any way so I guess it's a moot point .

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
15 pages at least...

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Whenever they cataloged the 700 Mountain rifles and 700 TI.

EDIT: I've owned Remington bolt guns for over 50 years, probably over 200 of them across the years, and have never had a problem with the triggers. This only unintended discharge that I recall having was on a used Krag that someone had done a trigger job on and managed to file the sear just a little too much. The only problem that I've had with Remington bolt guns have been extractors on a couple of different 722s back when I was cutting the barrels back for guys who wanted 600/660s, but either couldn't afford them or couldn't find them. Remington has done a lot of things that haven't made sense to me, like going with the 783 after they owned Marlin and could have had the X guns, but who knows why they do what they do.

That 783 over X7 decision was one of epic stupidity. I’d bet a nice rifle on which one cost the least money to build.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have trued more than a few 700's over the years and all this talk about the 70's and 80's being the best quality is not true. The new RR series receivers that I have trued have never taken more than .001 to clean up and most are less than .0005. Now they all have varying issue with primary extraction

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve been told by more than one gunsmith that the gold standard in 700’s are any with A,B or C serial number prefixes.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just had a RR remington action built into a 26 Nosler last year by Shane and I had him check it out for true before putting it all together. He told me he couldn't find anything wrong with it and the face barely took a skim cut to make absolutely flat, which was probably unnecessary but makes life easier when measuring and assembling things.... everything I have heard is that since Remington went to CNC manufacture of most of their actions, they have been very well machined and extremely true. Same with their barrel tenons and threads.... as long as you have a good flat surface on your recoil lug or install an aftermarket unit that is machined flat and true, it would be hard to screw up one of these. Now , the primary extraction issue seems to be an ongoing issue, but I hear very few people complaining about it except for here on this site, so I wonder how much of a problem is really is?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sheister
.... everything I have heard is that since Remington went to CNC manufacture of most of their actions, they have been very well machined and extremely true. Same with their barrel tenons and threads.... as long as you have a good flat surface on your recoil lug or install an aftermarket unit that is machined flat and true, it would be hard to screw up one of these.
Agreed - the newer one's I've had in for rebarrel have required extremely minimal machining before barrel install.
Now , the primary extraction issue seems to be an ongoing issue, but I hear very few people complaining about it except for here on this site, so I wonder how much of a problem is really is?

Bob
Still a problem - that, and the Mickey-Mouse extractors still in use... smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I liked the older A,B,C series BDL with the wooden Monte Carlo stock and polished blue. The most accurate out of the box ones I have owned have been the RR series, they are butt-ugly with the coarse finish and tupperware stock but they all outshot the old ones I owned. The stocks on the old BDL's looked nice on the outside but what passed for inletting of the action and barrel was generally pretty poorly done, they usually required bedding and some barrel channel work to get them to shoot as well as the RR series do out of the box.

So I suppose it all comes down to how one defines "golden age" - if you want nice looking then the old ones win IMO, if you want an out of the box shooter then the RR series win, which means that the "golden age" is past or it is now.
drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by chudly

Just my opinion, but I think you are full of [bleep] .

Its not just your opinion....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The Mickey Mouse extractor is really a matter of opinion. I’m 69 and never saw one fail. That includes the ones we beat open with a 2x4 because of overloading or debris on cases. Mine all function perfectly and shoot moa or less. My 300 shot a 3 shot 2.55 inch group at 600 yards the next best was a 3 inch group. Mine are late 70s models. Edk

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Ky221
Was talking with a buddy yesterday about rifles. I did a quick count; I've owned 17 model 700s over the years and still have 4 of them. 17 Remington up to .375h&h. Rifles from as early as the early 70s to just as recent as just a few years ago. Haven't had a bad one yet. Haven't had one fail to shoot MOA or better. No bolt handles fell off, no rifles firing on their own, etc.

I love 700’s but I’ve had my share of bad luck with them, even had a bolt handle come off one and it was a oldie.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a .270 made about 82 or 83. It’s really nicely finished and is the most accurate rifle I own. It’s thrown in a BC Carbelite stock and isn’t even bedded. It shoots dime sized groups over and over with any load you put in it.

I should use it more.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,280 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.