Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

quite the history.

Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
A great great Grandfather fought for the Union Army in the not so Civil War. My Dad was Army in WWII and POW and Purple Heart recipient, I will call 97 year old WWII and D-Day and Purple Heart recipient Uncle Ed tomorrow. He was 82nd Airborne Glider Division and hooked up with the101st and fought in Bastone and Holland and etc. Dad and Ed said the same thing, they ran low on ammo and supplies during the battle of the Bulge, about froze to death and never ever thought thy would survive the damned mortar attacks. My Dad's younger brother was killed in the Philippine's by a Jap sniper when he was 19. My Dad's older brother fought in Italy. Most of my Dad's buddies were WWII vets and to this day I thank God I was raised and influenced by such men as these.

My brother served six years in the Navy and I served four and we both pulled three West Pac cruises at Yankee Station in the Tonkin Gulf during Viet Nam War with multiple months in the "combat zone" each cruise. But, we had it easy compared to my Dad and uncles and no one ever shot at us that I know of. My son served ten years in the Army in Military Intelligence and his wife served for three years.

One of my favorite pictures is of me, my son-in laws Marine Corp's Viet Nam Combat vet Dad and my Dad and the other two grandfathers who were WWII vets. Only me and my son-in laws Dad are left.

I pray my grandsons never have to see combat and wish the sorry politician's we have had to serve to be in congress, the senate or the White House, we would have fewer wars. I am and always will be a Patriot and I love the United States.

To all of you who served, you have my heartfelt gratitude and thanks and respect. Well done!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If you have ever served, no matter when, in which service, or for how long, you are my brothers and sisters. You raised your hand and pledged your life to protect and defend your country. Know that no matter how loudly others may bray their support for the USA, they have done nothing to actually defend it. You have. You are the honorable one percenters.

Nothing makes me prouder than to be among you and I salute you all.

Remember one more thing: our work is never done.

Well, I served in the Coast Guard, so I don't really count, but I am going to run all over town tomorrow getting free food!

I came damn close to being a Coastie. I got a job with a local P.D. so that idea went out the door. I wish I'd of done the Coast Guard 40 years later.

kwg

Just think about all the free burgers you are missing out on.

I did do 2o more years in the National Guard so I did get that pension. I have been to a couple of places today for some reduced prices or freebies.

kwg

I have to throw in a link to my cousin Gene Greenwood who started out as a bomber pilot in the 100th BG and retired 32 years later. I'm doing my part to keep his memory alive.
https://100thbg.com/index.php?option=com_bombgrp&view=personnel&id=2019&Itemid=334

Last edited by kwg020; 11/11/21.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
United States Navy
Six years Tin Can Navy
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club plank owner
Fire Control Gunnery Second Class
USS Henry W Tucker DD875
The Hammering Hank

"Have Guns, Will Travel".

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
US Navy SS Only thing I was involved in was part of The Cuban Blockade during the Cuban Missile Crises.Got extended 2 years by LBJ served that and did 2 years in the reserves.I enlisted right out of High School and my friends thought I was nuts.I was sent to Sub School as part of my contract.I was able to suck up haz pay as a result.When I got out my friends who thought I was nuts were all hoping their draft numbers did not come up.Dad and three Uncles served in WWII,plus Cousins.Gramps was in The Spanish American war and Great Gramps was in The Civil War plus his brothers and cousins.I am no one special.The special ones never came home or had terrible injuries.On this Veterans Day I salute all those Fella`s and Gal`s.I salute all those who gave time out of their life to serve Our Country.Huntz

Last edited by Huntz; 11/11/21.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
62-65 101st Abn, 82nd Abn, 5th SFG. Lost my brother in 69, USMC. 19 years old.
People say "Thank you for your service". I was proud and happy to do it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A couple buddies from high school were signing up to avoid getting drafted so I gave it some thought. My draft number in 71 was 354 so my chance of getting called up was practically nil but I needed something to get my head screwed on straight so I jumped in with them on the "buddy system"... Sept 72- Sept 76 US Army. 11B MOS and proud of it. Probably the best four years of my life and might have stayed in if I hadn't gotten married.

I often talk to people who either don't understand the allegiance to the flag, or don't give a crap about this country and I always tell them it is obvious they never served...

Proud to say my family has a fair representation in the services-

Brother in Vietnam 65-66 and served in the Army 101st AB for 3 years.
I served and was heading to Vietnam in January 73 until three days before our departure they announced they had sent the last man to Vietnam..
At least six nephews, a couple nieces, and my son have served. My son was a Marine for five years and still carries that Marine pride and attitude- incredibly proud of him...

To all who served- my hat is off to you and you can share my campfire at hunting camp any day... as I imagine most of us do, I think about my time in the military almost every day...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
21 years Retired Aviation Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer
No other branch of the military gives the Authority to an enlisted man that the navy gives to a Chief.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
USAF, 1958-1978.

Saluting all of you who served.

[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
USAF 1960 to 1964.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
To each one of you;

Thank You!

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would like to claim lofty principles, defender of freedom, allegiance to oaths etc....reality is I was a dumb kid that needed a job and enlisted in the Engrs winter of '64, they trained me well and they gave me work, lots of work, 300 days straight building Cam Ranh Bay. We both got our money's worth.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If you have ever served, no matter when, in which service, or for how long, you are my brothers and sisters. You raised your hand and pledged your life to protect and defend your country. Know that no matter how loudly others may bray their support for the USA, they have done nothing to actually defend it. You have. You are the honorable one percenters.

Nothing makes me prouder than to be among you and I salute you all.

Remember one more thing: our work is never done.

SALUTE to ALL vets, past & present * ! * ! * !

We are being assaulted by our Enemies Domestic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Assume NOTHING !!
Never Let Your Guard Down !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grandfather - USA Sgt WW1
Father - USAAC/USAF 34 years WW2, Korea, Vietnam
Uncle - USAAC 8th Air Corps B-24 crewman, expert skydiver
Me - Joined 1 month after my 19th birthday in '68. Served until 8 Dec '72 101st ABN, 1st Cav, 7/17th Cav

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Grandfather - USA Sgt WW1
Father - USAAC/USAF 34 years WW2, Korea, Vietnam
Uncle - USAAC 8th Air Corps B-24 crewman, expert skydiver
Me - Joined 1 month after my 19th birthday in '68. Served until 8 Dec '72 101st ABN, 1st Cav, 7/17th Cav

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BADASS............................ Don't axe me how I know..................

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from cdn.wallpapersafari.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Which one are you?
😁

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
31 years 2 months and 18 days, US Army Field Artillery. I did not know when I joined I came from a family of Artillerymen:
Greatgrandfather (mother's side) German Field Artillery 1901-1903. He immigrated to the US rather than do another tour.
Grandfather (father's side) WW II, Last of the horse drawn Field Artillery, He learned to ride a horse at Ft Sill. He told me he had to ride through an obstacle course to get promoted to Corporal. He did change over to engineers and was in a Port Battalion. He drove landing craft for the invasion if North Africa and worked on the first bridge build across the Rhine River.
Uncle (mother's brother) Field Artillery officer in Viet Nam.
I have many other family members who served; however, I was the only one foolish enough to make a career of military service, LOL

Last edited by tops911; 11/11/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I would like to claim lofty principles, defender of freedom, allegiance to oaths etc....reality is I was a dumb kid that needed a job and enlisted in the Engrs winter of '64, they trained me well and they gave me work, lots of work, 300 days straight building Cam Ranh Bay. We both got our money's worth.

Nice job, I lived there some almost every month from 1967---1970. That base was built on sand . That had to make construction difficult didn't it? How many miles long was that base?

Thanks for your work,

Last edited by kennymauser; 11/13/21.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I think that's Rene in the bow....

#oldballs!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (ar33c9, 808outdoors, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,204 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.