Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I was at the range this morning practicing with my ccp & it hit me… we talk about 223s being sufficient for deer but what about a 9mm? Seems like a 124 Gr HP would suffice? Anyone hunted deer with a 9mm pistol?

GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
If the animal was ten foot or closer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I killed a young mule deer with a 9mm. Using Winchester PDX bonded 124 grains. The bullet performed beautifully at 25 yards, through the lungs. After the deer ran at the shot, it went down, and as I approached, it got up, so I put another into it, hitting the ham, that bullet performed well enough, and put the buck back down. Not necessarily recommending it, but like most other scenarios, decent bullets in the right places work well, and bullets into the wrong places may cause rodeos.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Close, 9.3mmX62....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think 9mm is legal in many states. I have put down critters with a 45 ACP pretty handily so no doubt the 9 can kill one under the right circumstances and good shot placement

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
AZ only requires it to be a centerfire. So - get your Saturday Specical in .25 acp out

Last edited by Owl; 11/11/21.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Shot an adult doe with my J-Frame snub nose .38 Spcl Hornady 110gr Critical Defense at a, for the gun, long range of about 15 yards. She ran about 35 yards and fell over. Was a "stunt shooter" for sure, but was down to one last doe tag and knew I had to wait for the perfect situation.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I killed a big buck with a .380, it had been injured by a car. Busted a back leg and was crawling through a pasture. Highway patrol officer who had given me the salvage tag at the scene didn't want to use his AR, pistol or shotgun. I couldn't blame him though. That guy was dressed to the nines in a pressed uniform and probably didn't want to clean a gun just over a deer. All I had was a Glock 42.

That 90 gr. XTP round took that deer through it's swollen, rutted up neck at 15 yards and dropped him dead. As for actual deer hunting, no.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
I was at the range this morning practicing with my ccp & it hit me… we talk about 223s being sufficient for deer but what about a 9mm? Seems like a 124 Gr HP would suffice? Anyone hunted deer with a 9mm pistol?

I did get a small one with a 40 cal Glock. Complete pass through

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wild hog hunts here in Florida are conducted year round as there are too many of them. I was hunting with a guide and two others. One man chose a 9mm handgun. He shot a medium sized hog through the brain at a distance of about 50 feet. Lights out!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by efw

I shot a hog in the head inside of ten feet with a 9mm 124 Gold Dot. The bullet ricocheted off the skull. Shot deer and hogs with .45 ACP 230 Rangers in the head and shoulder on a deer and they fall down dead. Convinced me to carry .45.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by efw

I shot a hog in the head inside of ten feet with a 9mm 124 Gold Dot. The bullet ricocheted off the skull. Shot deer and hogs with .45 ACP 230 Rangers in the head and shoulder on a deer and they fall down dead. Convinced me to carry .45.

Yep. A .45 ACP will kill them dead.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
9X57 Mauser is a great deer killer. So is the 9X56 M/S.

But joking aside, Phil Shoemaker killed a charging grizzly with a 9MM (several shots) so I would say a 9MM Luger will kill a deer if you hit them right with a good bullet that pernitrates in a straight line. It's got to be as good as a broadhead from a bow.. But I would also want to keep my shots at a range (just like with a bow) that I would be 100% sure of hitting within 2 of my intended point of impact.

Yes you can make a clean kill on a deer with a 9MM Luger, but I have to ask, 'why would you want to'? What is truly the point of doing it?

Many many many deer have been killed with 22 LRs over the years, many by poachers. A 9MM will out perform a 22LR in every way.

Still, I would never try it unless their was some real and pressing reason.

Last edited by szihn; 11/13/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used a three-pound Estwing hand sledge to put down a doe that had been hit by a car…

But I don’t hunt with one.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
^
^
^
Good point and well said

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Myself and others have tried finishing hogs with 9's and 40's... Never seems to be a one shot proposition. I normally carry a 40 wit 2 mags, one with snake shot. May need a new holster and start carrying the 45.
I have taken to carrying two rifles- depending. My B92 44 mag in the interim. It does the job as a finisher.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
To this day, I still haven't found a use for the 9mm. I understood the concept for it, during the "wondernine" years, and while fun for a beginner at a range, would NEVER use/recommend it for anything other than that. There are better calibers for ANY use, when one is considering 9mm.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As said 458 win had to do a brown bear with one but at the time I'll bet he was wishing it was something bigger. The 9mm luger round is immensely popular with the military and leo's. it's a cartridge that universally gets a recommendation by those folks to do a double tap on anything they have to shoot and when that fails they get a mag dump instead the leo a free pass. That should tell you beyond a reasonable doubt using it on deer is not to smart. Not every one who totes a pistol has the same skill level using it. You might want to reconsider your voyeurism desires into stunt shooting. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Maybe from 5 yds or less

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ve killed pigs with one. Shot placement means everything. Treat it like a trad bow and get in close, put it in the right place and when you can’t do that pass the shot.

This guy doesn’t seem to have any problem killing a pretty good buck with a 9mm. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ur-zAFDcZBA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 64 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,632
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.