Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16613757 11/11/21
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just watched the new “Midway” filmed, I think, in 2019. I didn’t like it nearly as well as the original with Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, Robert Mitchum, and Glen Ford. It was entertaining, with a lot of action, but I much prefer the older version.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did it have anything to do with Woody Harrelson?

Lol.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Did it have anything to do with Woody Harrelson?

Lol.

Maybe. I don’t like Harrelson, but he actually did a pretty good job as Nimitz.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw the original in '76 at the theater w/ my grandmother when I was but a wee lad. I remember it well. Great flick.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/11/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by lastround
I just watched the new “Midway” filmed, I think, in 2019. I didn’t like it nearly as well as the original with Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, Robert Mitchum, and Glen Ford. It was entertaining, with a lot of action, but I much prefer the older version.

Hal Holbrook done a pretty good job in the original as well.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I liked the older one myself just as I like the John Wayne version of True Grit.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old one was much better.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I prefer the new one. I thought Woody H did a good job as Nimitz and even looked a little like Nimitz. The new one told the story of Dick Best. There were no political statements on the new one.

I liked the actual battle footage of in the original. There were some great actors and even one or two over acting actors. The one thing I did not like was the political statement about the treatment of the Japanese during the war.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I like the new one better. Both great films.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Old version = good actors and acting.

New version = mediocre acting and special effects.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IT SUCKED. period. The first one was MUCH better.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both are good, but the focus differs a bit. The inclusion of the shameful treatment of the citizens of Japanese ancestry was sorely needed at the time, as it clearly shows the Left for what they were, and still are.

When the original came out, I went to see it with my brother and his girlfriend. The only seats that were open were in a back corner. We sat down and the movie began. When it came to a scene on where pilots were starting their engines on a carrier deck, we found out why those seats were empty; that corner was where the Sensurround speakers were. Hadn’t noticed them in the dark on the way in.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
IT SUCKED. period. The first one was MUCH better.

Tell us how you really feel!!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have both in my DVD collection. There is also a third version called Dauntless but in my not very humble opinion it sucks big time.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't hate Woody H but had cringe seeing Woody as Nimitz.

Same thing with Dennis Quaid as Halsey.

Neither of these gave me shakes like seeing Travolta acting as a Brigadier General in Thin Red Line.

Although to be fair I thought it a bit of poetic justice by naming him QiunTARD

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. John Revolta is awful.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Everybody always talks about Halsey but I think that Spruance was a better admiral. He just didn't seek out the publicity. Sorta like Patton vs Bradley.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I tried to get the kids to watch it for V day. My wife's grandpa was a tailgunner on a torpedo plane and was shot down with one of the first group of planes in. So its my kids great grandpa. He was shot down in the pacific 3 times and lived. The type of plane he was in was slow and a sitting duck for zeros. He just had a 30 cal he fired out the back of the canopy.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 11/12/21.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Both good, rate them about equal. I highly recommend reading the Pacific War trilogy by Ian Toll. It gives an idea of the Jap mindset that led to their defeat.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I tried to get the kids to watch it for V day. My wife's grandpa was a tailgunner on a torpedo plane and was shot down with one of the first group of planes in. So its my kids great grandpa. He was shot down in the pacific 3 times and lived. The type of plane he was in was slow and a sitting duck for zeros. He just had a 30 cal he fired out the back of the canopy.

Bb

Those pilots in gunners in the torpedo planes in the early battles (Coral Sea and Midway) were truly some brave souls who went into battle in a plane (TBD Devestator) that was well past obsolete. Would be curious which squadron he flew in.

Three were there:
VT-8 off the carrier Hornet
VT6, off Enterprise
VT5, Yorktown

Likely not VB-8, all 15 gunners that flew off Hornet in TBDs died that morning, and 3 of the 4 land based contingent of VB-8 in the more modern TBF died.

The other squadrons had a horrific loss rate but a few more survivors.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,507 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.