Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad ran an 8 3/8" 686 no lock for IHMSA.
It outshot his 8" Python by a smidge.

He liked .357 for target and silhouette.

Got my first .357 in 6th grade ( 3 screw Ruger since my Single Six .22 mag lacked oomph for groundhogs ) and have never been impressed.

For a casual one gun person, proly a good pic.

Think it better to own more than one 😊

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Best attribute of the .357 is the ability to use the .38 Special. If the left has it's way and I can only own one handgun the .357 is it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I think highly of the 357. I'm giving my eldest grandson the first centerfire pistol I ever bought - a Ruger Security Six 357.
I shot it enough that I had to send it back to Ruger for a rebuild. Just time to pass it on, and his graduation from NMMI is a good excuse.
(I WILL also buy some good hearing protection, and provide a coffee can full of reloads) smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a big .357 fan. First revolver I ever owned, a Security Six 6" stainless, got me started and I never looked back. I still have that revolver nearly 40 years later, together with a 4" blue version I carry, and a Freedom Arms 97. All of them get exercised regularly. I own handguns in numerous other chamberings, but if I could keep only one centerfire handgun, it would be that 6" stainless Security Six. There's nothing I want a handgun to do, including taking the odd deer, that I couldn't do with it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i got started shooting a colt bisley saa in 38.40 later when joining the local sheriff's dept it was a smith model 19. i ran about 1000rounds a month through that thing for almost seven years, and it still is fine.
i like the ability to shoot mouse fahrt loads, or full steam ahead loads.
taking a tip from a guy in alaska who bopped a bear with a 9mm, i have loaded full boat 180grain full metal jacket loads that are quite awesome to see in use.
i have a lot of other guns, but will never be without a .357

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I don't handgun hunt large game anymore, I sold off my heavies and picked up a .357. I got the .357 mostly because I wanted the gun, not so much for the cartridge. I rarely shoot .357's out of it, but its a wicked target revolver in .38 Special with good match 148's.

A .357 is good for defense against critters both two and four legged. And these days I'd recommend a .357 for bear defense (even the big bears) over the truly large magnums, just because most can't shoot those heavy magnums well enough for self defense. More than a couple of grizzlies have been taken down with 9mm's and .40's. I think hi-cap 10mm's are starting to replace many of the .44's and .454's for wilderness guides, because those 10mm's are powerful, yet WAAY easier to shoot. Obviously if you can shoot the heavies extremely well under stress, that's the way to go; but most can't do that.

I live in bear country, but they're black bears. Black bears are pretty easy to deal with, and any decent defensive handgun can take care of that problem should anything ever escalate that far; which it shouldn't if you have anything between your ears.

For self defense against humans, I think most are better armed with modern .38 Special +P's; those are good defense rounds.

But the .357's real weaknesses has always been noise and muzzle flash. Well, modern ammunition has greatly improved on that. Modern loads produce about half of the muzzle flash you saw 30 years ago, and with that much of the noise has gone down as well Don't get me wrong, if you set a .357 off indoors, everyone is going to be deaf and blind still. But it's not as bad as it used to be.

The .357 was created to give stopping power comparable to large frame revolvers in a smaller package, and it mostly does that. Its just not the best choice for game larger than deer. These days when I carry a revolver, its because I want to carry that particular revolver. Until you need .44 magnum or greater power, auto's just have revolvers beat in most every category...except the cool category.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Love them, needs a 4"+ barrel for me though...

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been carrying a ruger security six on my tractor on farm for forty+ years.back then it was my dad's but i still use the same way takes care of all my needs utility wise i do hunt using the 475 or 500 linebaugh but this year i'm working on a hunting load for my 8'' colt trooper to maybe do a little deer hunting.That ruger security six is the last i would sell

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've gotten away from the 357 but not because there's anything 'wrong' with it. A dehorned SP-101 is a mighty strong and versatile little revolver.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jack of all trades, master of none comes to mind when I think about a .357 Magnum. One of my first centerfire handguns was a 4" M66 S&W if for no other reason that it was the standard issue for the state patrol back in those days. Their K frame duty guns were shooting loose with a lot of rounds through them and that 66 sure was loud with magnum rounds. I sold that handgun because it was too large for concealed carry, not accurate enough in my hands to hunt with and minimum for deer. There was nothing that I could do hunting with a handgun that I couldn't do better with a rifle. A 6" 629 .44 Magnum was here for a time and .44 Specials could be shot in that one just like .38 Specials worked well in the 66. A Colt .380, .38 Special +P J- frame and CZ 9mm do a better job for CCW and near nothing beats a .22 LR in these parts just for rambling around. I just don't see a good place for another .357 Magnum for me.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I like my .357's.. I also like my .44s.. I usually have one of each in my truck..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
If I could only have one handgun it might be a 4" 357 mag DA revolver.

If I could only have 3, the 357 might not be one of them. "Might be/not" means open for review.

But beyond all that, a 357 is a damn versatile handgun & a great tool in the box for a multitude of reasons.

Ya recognize them or ya don't.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would suggest looking up the Skeeter Skelton article titled “ My Friend the 357”. Great piece about a fine cartridge.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A .357 akin to a 30-06 or .308 it the rifle world.It will do most anything most need.I have had several 44mags in many years. Personally, although they will do a better job, are uncomfortable to shoot and loading them with 44 sp is little costly for plinking, they are to heavy to walk around with and if used a lot over the years,will sure work on wrist and elbows to hurry arthritus along . I also had Ruger 32 mag. Not much use IMHO. I could never get a 1911 in 45 ACP to fit my hand.

I have 4 .357's. A Ruger Security Six with a 4" barrel, a S&J frame with 3" barrel, a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel
and a S&W 686, with a 6" barrel.

The 686 goes to the range with me and was used several years in Action Pistol competition using .357 bras and 38sp loadings. Pretty darn cheap shooting

The S&W J frame, 3 " I carry when out and about and when I want to carry a handgun while rifle or ML hunting.Great for grouse with shot shells and rabbits.

The Blackhawk doesn't get used much.

Favorite is the Ruger Security Six. The 4' barrel doesn't ride low and rub the cantle of the saddle and will handle most jobs and is light enough to hike around with. As some one mentioned,I have 1980 era Rossi Model 92 in .357 that fits nicely in an old 92 sized scabbard an is thin enough that it rides under the fender without a bulge.It will do any heavy work I need and inside 100 yards,coyotes die.

I have a Sig 320and an old Interarms Firestar in 9mm. I carry the 320 at times and the Firestar stays in the truck. They don't get used much.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The .357 magnum was the first gun registered...it was considered so powerful most law enforcement weren't allowed to carry it. I believe the Highway Patrol were the first to carry one I read somewhere that the .357 magnum was powerful enough to shoot through the trunk of a car through the back seat and kill the driver in the front seat.

I've owned and shot several .357 magnums over the years....I currently own one and don't have any .357 magnum ammo for it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LFC
The .357 magnum was the first gun registered...it was considered so powerful most law enforcement weren't allowed to carry it. I believe the Highway Patrol were the first to carry one I read somewhere that the .357 magnum was powerful enough to shoot through the trunk of a car through the back seat and kill the driver in the front seat.

I've owned and shot several .357 magnums over the years....I currently own one and don't have any .357 magnum ammo for it.

A 158 grain, hard cast, lead semi-wadcutter, in a .357 Magnum, has a great rep for penetrating through cars and such.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by LFC

A 158 grain, hard cast, lead semi-wadcutter, in a .357 Magnum, has a great rep for penetrating through cars and such.

Skeeter liked that load a tad. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
With certain firearms like Magnum J frame with 5" barrel this caliber has potential for wilderness/self-defense carry and as a survival tool. In certain guns like the N-frame it amount to waste of a frame because one can have .44 Magnum instead. It depends on firearm chosen. Recently 10mm in gun like G29 has made .357 kind of useless. Obviously with .38+p and .40S&W nether .357 or 10mm are really needed for urban self-defense.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I must be about the only guy who doesn't care much for the .357 magnum.

Swore when I got something else after being a cop and carrying/using one for so long, that I'd never own another.

I've been true to my word so far. Not tempted either... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Leomort: The 357 is a VERY useful and versatile pistol cartridge.
I would NOT be without one.
And especially in todays political climate I recommend you NOT sell the 357 and also that you buy a 22 L.R. revolver as well.
Best of luck to you with whichever you decide to do.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (260madman, 25aught6, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1234, 260Remguy, 61 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,945
Posts18,519,152
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.