-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several years ago, I ordered a Legend to be built in 7mm Remington Magnum. Soon thereafter D’Arcy let me in on the secret that would become the LX-1. Without hesitation, I told him to wait until the new action was finished— I wanted my rifle built on one.

From afar, I’ve watched as he and the team at CVM worked out every minute detail of the LX-1. Hours upon hours were spent staring at a Solidworks image, tweaking here and there until everything met his satisfaction. Then there was 3-D printing and, finally, billets of steel being loaded into the machines.

Now I’ve held my own action in my hand and have handled the first finished LX-1 rifle. The dream has become reality, the idea turned into steel. Absolutely, functional works of art. Mine will be chambered in 7mm Mashburn and I can’t wait to get my hands on it for good.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by RinB

But I have been fiddling around with my version of perfect for 40+ years and over many many attempts. I don’t have any vices, horses, boats, motorcycles, or other expensive hobbies. A single rifle isn’t an expensive deal like a horse. I go hunting and just don’t like packing around things I don’t really like. Silly but harmless.

Very true! Rifles don't require much in the way of maintenance, especially compared to motorized transportation. Rifles also only need to be fed a little ammo when the mood strikes, unlike a live animal which requires constant upkeep. Also a rifle won't buck a person off if they don't shoot it enough, the opposite for an un-rode horse. In addition, storage of a few rifles is relatively simple. Dollar wise, even a top end rifle really isn't that bad when compared to the price of a lot of other hobbies. Overall a custom rifle affliction is, like you say, a harmless, and may I add fun hobby.

I have used some of these same justifications when building a rifle. Unfortunately like RinB's housebuilding buddy I have yet to build the perfect one although I have come close a couple of times.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Several years ago, I ordered a Legend to be built in 7mm Remington Magnum. Soon thereafter D’Arcy let me in on the secret that would become the LX-1. Without hesitation, I told him to wait until the new action was finished— I wanted my rifle built on one.

From afar, I’ve watched as he and the team at CVM worked out every minute detail of the LX-1. Hours upon hours were spent staring at a Solidworks image, tweaking here and there until everything met his satisfaction. Then there was 3-D printing and, finally, billets of steel being loaded into the machines.

Now I’ve held my own action in my hand and have handled the first finished LX-1 rifle. The dream has become reality, the idea turned into steel. Absolutely, functional works of art. Mine will be chambered in 7mm Mashburn and I can’t wait to get my hands on it for good.

Whoooooaaaaa! Now that is too damned cool WH! Can’t wait to hear about and see that rifle! Kinda have a soft spot for the ol 7mm Mashburn!

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Hopefully you will share some pics when it arrives; that sounds outstanding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most definitely will do that.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Hopefully you will share some pics when it arrives; that sounds outstanding.

That’s a dream gun in my book. If I cleared out all of the crap I didn’t use I could probably have a matched pair
whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s how I justified the purchase to myself: “this will be my ONE rifle”. I was kidding myself, though- I’ll never be a one gun guy.

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

There was a time when I thought I needed a room full of rifles. I knew a guy who worked on fishing boats. He loved old M70’s. He had one in every bore diameter built by Al Biesen. I think there were 10-12. I saw them in their wood display case in 1970. I was in love and lusted after something like them.

Now I know that 2 or 3 really great rifles will handle all worldwide hunting. I know guys who go on day hunts and carry a spare rifle in their pickups. I think that is a bad practice. Those are subject to getting stolen. I have never heard of a hunter getting his rifle stolen off his shoulder!

Also if your rifle is of questionable reliability then it needs a new home.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Darcy’s rifles have spoiled me like no others. No way I could get by with just one, it’d have to be at least a pair! I think 3 guns makes a nice set for world wide hunting, calibers and configurations can be up to the user.

Last edited by John55; 11/16/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always admired Echol's work, but never really been willing or easily able to afford a rifle done by him. Ditto for David Miller.................got sorta serious in a discussion with Curt Crum at a show once upon a time & laid out a plan, but didn't do the deed.

The closest thing I've had to that kind of a masterpiece is this rifle in 270 done by Keith Stegall. Absolutely a tack driver, not overly light, but perfectly balanced & feel like an extension of my arms.

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

MTMan
Stegall was an early influence on Gene Simillion. Later Gene spent some time with Jerry Fisher.
Keith built Warren Pages 6.5 wildcat.

Those rifles were built to be hunted with. Very nice.

Last edited by RinB; 11/16/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
I've always admired Echol's work, but never really been willing or easily able to afford a rifle done by him. Ditto for David Miller.................got sorta serious in a discussion with Curt Crum at a show once upon a time & laid out a plan, but didn't do the deed.

The closest thing I've had to that kind of a masterpiece is this rifle in 270 done by Keith Stegall. Absolutely a tack driver, not overly light, but perfectly balanced & feel like an extension of my arms.

MM

That’s a beauty as well. Nothing to not like about that one.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

MTMan
Stegall was an early influence on Gene Simillion. Later Gene spent some time with Jerry Fisher.
Keith built Warren Pages 6.5 wildcat.

Those rifles were built to be hunted with. Very nice.

Simillion & Fisher's work also suits my eye very nicely too. I've seen several Fisher rifle's I be happy with.

MM

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

TexPhot.
You are correct about several things.

1. It is more than likely to get anything “custom built” wrong the first few times. I have a buddy who designed a set of house plans. He is a builder and told me it took about 3-4 builds before he got it the way he envisioned it.

2. There are many less expensive ways to get a reliable accurate rifle (Tikka). But I have been fiddling around with my version of perfect for 40+ years and over many many attempts. I don’t have any vices, horses, boats, motorcycles, or other expensive hobbies. A single rifle isn’t an expensive deal like a horse. I go hunting and just don’t like packing around things I don’t really like. Silly but harmless.

Agreed. And a house is kind of an extreme example as a lot more can go wrong. It's pretty rare that they turn out exactly as planned. That said I've had smiths not listen and completely go off the rails on builds too.

You know how to become a millionaire in the horse business? Start out as a billionaire. (grins)

Good luck with the new rifle. I look forward to seeing it.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Beautiful rifle! Reminds me of a Biesen 270 I used to own. Made to be hunted with and not a safe queen.
Gene Simillion also has Stegall’s 7mm Mashburn reamer, don’t know if it was used on any of Page’s rifles. He used Darcy’s reamer on the Mashburn he built for me. The Stegall reamer has a very short throat section.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mik123
Originally Posted by beretzs
I don’t see the huge deal about the lighter contour barrel on the action myself. We’ve been putting 0’s and 1’s on Classics and P64’s forever and with a good Hunters Edge or similar stock they’ve been awesome rifles. The LX1 is mostly a physically sized the same action.

I think it’s going to work out perfect once it’s bolted together. It’s not a new build really, just a new action that’s 10x better than we used to pay smiths to true, hone, square, etc on the old P64’s and Classics.

I went the Defiance route this year, with CRF and 3 POS safety but only because I could get one of them much faster than an LX1. Even with the increased price of the action I saved coin not having a smith put his end mills and bits towards the old actions and make them straight.

How is the Defiance CRF action treating you? Any downsides? I'm looking at one myself.

It is still in the box on my counter! Once hunting season slows down I’ll send it off to get made into a rifle.

Semper Fi
R
RinB Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

John55
There isn’t much new in the shooting world. Optics and bullets and barrels have improved and now we have range finders.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’d agree! Better barrels and optics for sure, but the rangefinder might be the biggest game changer of all. No more guessing makes all of us more capable…as long as we practice enough to be proficient at longer ranges. Good luck with your new rifle, it should be a wonderful project!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mik123

How is the Defiance CRF action treating you? Any downsides? I'm looking at one myself.

If they offered an open type two lever trigger it would be pretty nice. As it is, just another almost good action with a dirt and icicle box strapped to the bottom. Oh, and needlessly round bottomed (motto: "We twist in YOUR stock") although the recoil lug is decent.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 21 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.