Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Old post but-Beartooth 200 have been going strong for the last 8 years. They held up well on Kodiak this year punching up through chest high grass,fern, salmon berry, boulder fields to get to the alpine, then up from there. I came back down with a 70-80lb pack with no problems.They are solid functional boots. The stitching on the outside will get cut up and rub through over long term if you use them in the rocks so get the Granites or granite Pros if you are in the rocks all the time. Those models do not have outside stitching-look into it. If you are not sliding down shale I wouldn't think twice about it though. Last week, I received a pair of Granite Pros. They fit right off, feel great so far with 10 miles of 50lbs in my pack (mostly flat and step climbing-2 miles at a time) on them. I have been happy with Schnees.
Boot fit is individual of course. Try a few brands and see what works.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I use a pair of their packs each year during my December elk hunts in a region known for sub zero cold. They are definitely a good quality boot. The only thing I would do differently, is that I would buy one size larger than I normally wear, so as to be able combine wearing super heavy socks and have a little bit more room in the boots, as a slightly looser fitting boot help keep feet a bit warmer.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Like their pack boots for hunts in deeper snow, cold weather hunts, stand hunting. Great all around winter boot

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just had my Schnee pacs out for the first time this season- it was the right call as there was between 4-6" of snow and the air bob soles simply grip better in snow than typical vibrams. I love my Crispi's but I would have had icicles for feet without the pacs. But can you walk in them? 11 miles and 3100' of gain- much of it steep (down & up), lots of sidehilling and plenty of blowdown to contend with- yeah you can walk in them laugh

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have the Granite 600gr boots. Lasted three seasons. On the fourth (this year) they leaked like there was nothing there. The two other guys I hunt with have the same issue (Granite and Beartooth). Contacted Schnees about it and they told me that they are "past the expected life of the liner. Three years and beyond is the typical life of those". 2wks/yr * 3 yrs = 42 days of use. At $500 retail thats $10 a day. Soles and leather still going great, but no thanks.

Last edited by wildcat33; 11/12/21.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ive got the schnees extremes, they're heavy but warm, i rarely wear them, generally speaking my meindls (cabelas) perfekts are warm enough for my midwest hunting accept late season

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wear mine all winter pretty much. Very comfortable. They are a great hunting boot, and pretty good at climbing and snow. Not great for side hilling. That is their only drawback, your feet will get sore if you do a lot of steep side hill hiking. These have about 500 miles on them.
[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wildcat33
I have the Granite 600gr boots. Lasted three seasons. On the fourth (this year) they leaked like there was nothing there. The two other guys I hunt with have the same issue (Granite and Beartooth). Contacted Schnees about it and they told me that they are "past the expected life of the liner. Three years and beyond is the typical life of those". 2wks/yr * 3 yrs = 42 days of use. At $500 retail thats $10 a day. Soles and leather still going great, but no thanks.

Any "waterproof"--breathable membrane in boots is good for about.....3 years. The boot will remain waterproof if a guy takes care of the leather and waxes it from the get-go and keeps the leather waxed. No, it won't be as breathable but "breathable" is mostly wishful advertising for ANY boot that is leather.

Schnee's recommends NikWax Waterproofing Wax for leather, it's what I use on all my leather hunting boots for the last 10 years or so. It's the best waterproofing for leather boots I've used so far.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^ I'd agree 3 years is definitely in the normal ballpark. It's a membrane, it's very thin and sees a lot (lot) of friction in a season.

In the days pre-Goretex, leather boots were rendered waterproof with diligent treating laugh

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugeman, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1minute, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,915
Posts18,498,329
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.